« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

Does anyone else play around with FOSS operating systems?

I'm not a tech person at all and I find them so frustrating, so many hours of my life have been given away to despair and boiling rage of this pursuit. But I refuse to be any other way because I believe in freedom. I might smash my phone into a million pieces one of these days though.

Report Topic

9 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

I use Ubuntu as my main OS for personal and work stuff and have been for years. It was a struggle for a while but eventually I learned how to do shell scripting and everything makes a lot more sense.

Report Reply

Reply by Positron832

posted

I'm thinking on experimenting with Linux in the future.

Report Reply

Reply by absentChronicler

posted

I have switched to Arch last december, I'm glad I did. I doubt I'll ever come back to windows, I have everything I ever needed here on Linux. Also Linux is just fun to use, I love tweaking some random things just to my own liking and writing scripts is just really fun.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

@absentChronicler: I've thought about switching to Arch before but I have to use VMWare Horizon for work but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on how well it works. Have you used it before?

I know that's a pretty obscure thing to ask about but it's pretty much the only thing stopping me from switching.

Report Reply

Reply by Positron832

posted

So I decided to try out Ubuntu today. It's pretty easy to use but installing applications is a bit tricky since you need to use the terminal. It even comes with Minesweeper!

Report Reply

Reply by necrophcodr

posted

I can't say I strictly use FOSS systems, but I do use both Ubuntu and NixOS on a daily basis and these systems both really have great qualities.

I very much enjoy the user friendly interfaces of Ubuntu and its accompanied software, but nothing else comes close to the absoluteness of NixOS!
What a wonder that both of these operating systems are essentially using the same operating system components, yet are so wildly different!

Report Reply

Reply by necromancer

posted

I've spent all day today trying to get my bluetooth headphones to work on my computer, succeeded in the end B) Maybe I should learn shell scripting or w/e instead of frantically searching stackexchange and despairing. I'm just so deeply incurious about that stuff. I just want stuff to work.

I rolled back my version of LineageOS on my phone and determined it was probably a hardware problem, not a software one, so I sent it back (certified refurbished my ass). Privacy-conscious phones are super tricky and tablets afaik are nigh impossible for now. I really loved my time with Lineage though. It felt so peaceful. I was really attracted by the Mudita Pure for a hot second but this felt just as, if not more, peaceful.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

I just want stuff to work
The best way to make sure things always work is to know how they work, at least on a surface level

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

1. "It is the most important part of the robot to be able to communicate." – Michael Bay, "Robot and Human," Wired

2. "If you can get it into an area that is very hostile, then it is a good robot." – John Hesse, Robot Wars, The New York Times

3. "[It's] not a human. I'm a robotic person, and if there's a human being there that can do this and it's human, it will work for the human race. And that's what we are all doing." - John Hesse

"If there is one robot in this room that is able to be programmed into a situation, that's it." – Robert Borker

"You can't be human if there is a human being there." – Robert Borker

Report Reply