« Back to the Victorian History Forum

Carboys in the Victorian pharmacy

(Image courtesy of the Science Museum, London) 

To the best of my knowledge, carboys were items of advertising commonly placed in the window of the newly established high street pharmacy. As the 19th century progressed the necessity for reputable pharmacies for those who couldn't afford a physician grew, and one way for a pharmacy to be able to sell itself as reliable was to show their skill in mixing chemicals. Chemicals which the general public would be using to treat themselves. 

(Courtesy of The Hoarde) 
A carboy would sit in the bay windows of a high street pharmacy showing off the brightly coloured liquid within. Liquid which was highly pigmented and designed to show that the pharmacist and their staff knew how to mix the correct measures of various substances to attain that bright colour. The majority of people at the beginning of the 19th century were illiterate, so the carboy was a good visual indication of the pharmacists skill. The logic went, if they can make a perfect pigment, they can be relied upon to give out usable medicine. Although, you may be given opioids for a cough, so that wouldn't hold up today. 

Apologies for how rambling this is, I've never written blog post esque things before and I'm just doing it for fun here :^) 

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by JAZ

posted

OOO a little book i started reading mentioned carboys and window displays in victorian Chemists so ill just chuck that here: 

At the start of Victoria's reign, the majority of shops had windows which were made up of panes of glass 12 by 16 inches in size. They were normally used as extensions of storage shelving and held containers of the drugs which were sold or used in dispensing. Although these containers were often of poor quality, the labelling made many of them quite decorative, and the overall effect must have been attractive. They must also have been useful in identifying the type of shop to a population that was largely illiterate. It is 
thought that shortly before this time jars of water-white glass holding coloured liquids began to be displayed for this purpose. As time went on, large show carboys and elaborately decorated specie jars replaced the earlier crude glass containers. In the 1830s plate glass was introduced, and there was a gradual change from the old type of window to one composed of (usually) three large panes. This type of window lent itself to the display of products such as patent medicines and began to be used in this way to promote impulse buying. By 1900 larger sheets of plate glass were available, and many shop windows consisted of a single sheet, behind which were displayed the chemist's own remedies, patent medicines, toiletries and articles used in the sickroom. Surmounting this display were the carboys or spice jars which were now the acknowledged sign of the chemist and druggist.

Never thought id know about the specific sizes of victorian windows, but i do now aparently haha

Report Reply

Reply by Mr. Museum

posted

(I have no idea how to reply to your comment (howls)) 

That's really interesting, not something I'd ever given thought to before. 

The evolution of types of glass wasn't ever on my radar but it seems obvious in retrospect, how cool 

Report Reply