« Sports Forum

Ice hockey in the United Kingdom (Yes, it exists!)

Posted by Ramm

posted
updated

Forum: Sports

Did you know that ice hockey has been played in the United Kingdom since at least 1903, and that we had the first ice hockey league in Europe at the time? The Great Britain national team even compete in the IIHF World Championships, which will be televised on FreeSports (Freeview channel 65, TalkTalk/BT channel 64, Sky channel 422 (except Sky Glass), Virgin channel 553) this May. It's a free-to-air channel, so you do not need a separate subscription.

In terms of club hockey, we have the Elite Ice Hockey League, a professional league which is also sometimes televised on FreeSports. Additionally, we also have the National Ice Hockey League which operates five leagues across Britain, and the Scottish National League.

Check out these links:

FreeSports - Belfast Giants vs. Cardiff Devils will be broadcast tonight that fixture was a couple years ago now lol

Elite Ice Hockey League - professional British ice hockey

National Ice Hockey League - find a local team to see in England and Wales

Scottish National League - find a local team to see in Scotland

I am going to my first game this month and have been surprisingly hyped! I enjoyed the game!

EDIT: Following the removal of FreeSports from Freeview, ice hockey is no longer available on Freeview outside of the Winter Olympics. FreeSports is also unavailable on Sky Glass. However, IIHF international fixtures and Champions Hockey League rounds, including those involving British clubs and the Great Britain national team, are regularly streamed on the IIHF YouTube channel.

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Daniel Holt

posted

Washington Capitals fan here, although I have been to a few Nottingham Panthers games in my time (live Hockey is really really great).

Nottingham and Coventry both have teams, if they ever happen to put one in Leicester I'd be a day 1 season ticket holder. Keep dreaming I guess?

Report Reply

Reply by Ramm

posted

Yay! I'm glad to see at least one reply on this thread.

And don't forget, Great Britain is hosting Division 1A of the IIHF World Championships next year in Nottingham!

Report Reply

Reply by Ramm

posted

It makes me so happy when people realise ice hockey exists here and get curious!

Also thought I'd update this thread to point out that FreeSports was sadly removed from Freeview last year, marking the end of ice hockey coverage on digital terrestrial television. FreeSports is also not available on Sky Glass.

Report Reply