« Jobs, Work, Careers Forum

Any Future/Current Educators?

Posted by Fae

posted

Forum: Jobs, Work, Careers

I'm a college freshman student studying to be a high school math teacher but I think it'd be helpful for any teachers or soon-to-be teachers stay connected and maybe ask each other for help and what to expect in the classroom :)

So to start this forum, introduce yourself, what you're learning to teach/teaching, and why you decided to become a teacher, and maybe a question or concern you might have!

My name is Fae, studying to teach high school math, and I wanted to be a math teacher because more people need to experience the joys of mathematics, and that can only be achieved through good teachers. :) I'm a little worried about classroom management since, in my experience in the public school system, some teachers aren't so great at it. Does the school you work at teach classroom management? Or will I eventually learn how to do that in college as an education major?

Report Topic

15 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Tellington

posted

I'm a teacher-librarian!

To be honest I'm not that great about classroom management, so the library is often quite a mess, but I really like that I'm able to work with kids (middle-schoolers) AND books!

Report Reply

Reply by Everybody! Everybody!

posted

currently trying to work as a pre-k assiant teacher !! I'm so so excited !! 

Report Reply

Reply by CountFagula

posted

I want to be a special education teacher! I’m waiting for a more secure finical situation. 

Report Reply

Reply by PamBell

posted
updated

It is important to update your knowledge and use the right resources such as storyboardthat.com. Here you can create lesson plans activities. It is very convenient for any teacher. It is important to use good resources.

Report Reply

Reply by GabrielWays

posted

Now almost everyone promote all work in internet. It can be website or any social media networks. But there are times when you need to purchase a social media accounts for another purpose. The goal can be different promote your produkt, brand,business and work. Personal or corporate, customer acquisition or something else. It is here that you can see and found all what you need and. Just check this site, it can be very useful. 

Report Reply

Reply by henry6

posted

Ivory Researcher is a name that came into existence to help the students in their academic journey. The primary aim is to aid all the students who are busy with their part time jobs, lack writing and language skills or are not very good at the subject knowledge in writing assignments and grow in the academics. Housing a team of more than 5000 academic experts across the globe, the students can take personalized order professional writing service and buy essay online helper from the expert of their preferred country. Thumbs up with further UK's best buy coursework online as well.

Report Reply

Reply by rebecca ☀☼

posted

hey y'all!
i just finished undergrad in english literature, and i want to teach at the undergrad level for it.
really worried about getting into grad school and the job market, since it's not uncommon for lecturers and professors like to hang onto that tenure track/tenure until they quite literally drop dead.
i'm planning on getting qualified to teach 7-12 as a backup plan, but i really don't mesh well with middle school kids and increasingly-strict state standards.

Report Reply

Reply by Draxdoll

posted

Hi! 

I'm studying for teaching English as a foreign language! I get my bachelor's in a year and I'm very excited and scared at the time. 
I love the English language and would love to teach it to others, but the problem is that I'm still not ready yet. I haven't had the opportunity to get out in the field to do some training because of covid. I don't know a lot of teachers methods or strategies. The future terrifies me. What if teaching is not my thing? What if I don't find a job? What if the students don't learn anything from me?
 I'm actually terrified after I graduate and start looking for a job. I don't know what to expect in a classroom. But I guess I'll have to cope with this

Report Reply

Reply by Christina

posted

I'm Christina. I'm a college senior, currently in the student teaching portion of my degree program. I'm an English teacher and I absolutely love what I do. Right now I'm working with Freshman. Next week they start reading A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines, and I start two weeks of full time teaching - all 6 classes of the day. I'm very excited! 

Report Reply

Reply by Melodia

posted

Hello y'all! I'm Melody. I went to USC with a major in English and recently got my masters in education from Harvard. I'm now in my second year of quaran-teaching high school English and ELD. Happy to connect :)

Report Reply

Reply by Ramm

posted

I might become an educator, I'm struggling to settle on a career but going into adult education is one option I have.

Report Reply

Reply by 🖤 Death Rae 🖤

posted

Hi! 

I am an elementary special education teacher for students with multiple disabilities. Typically intellectual, developmental, and physical disabilities. 

Report Reply

Reply by SJ Raymond

posted

Well hey there.

I'm SJ, and I teach English at the community college down the street. I have an MA in Literature and Creative Writing.

I'm a first year professor, so I think the culture shock I had was certainly coming up with my own curriculum. They basically gave me the book and were like "Have fun!" but I've got a mentor to kind of guide me through the more technical things (grading, accountability, teaching via Zoom, etc). 

Report Reply

Reply by Introvert

posted
updated

Hello, I’m Matt. I’m currently complete my MA in English Language and Literature at Morehead State University. I am currently a TA at PHSC in Florida. 

Good education programs will focus on classroom management. I would advise reading into emancipatory education/radical adult education to consider what a democratic classroom looks like. I’ll include some reading suggestions when I get my textbook list. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ashok

posted

I teach math at the undergraduate level currently.

I kind of just started one semester when I got a call from the university asking me if I can cover all the statistics courses. I was definitely nervous about classroom management and preparation as I was not an education major.
It was a lot of work but my main take away was Ask for help even if you think you can do it all yourself. The more senior the teacher the more comprehensible the tip that they give you.
I hope you stay on the path that you want.
It's awesome to see someone else who just want others to experience math in the same joyous way that we do.

Report Reply