« Back to the Musical Theatre Forum

Introduce yourself! [pinned]

Hey everybody. Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread and say hello. Here are a few questions to get everyone started:
  1. What are your favourite musicals?
  2. How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it?
  3. Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to?
  4. Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love!
  5. If you could get tickets to see any musical right now, which would it be?

Report Topic

14 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by gaz ☆

posted
updated

i'll go first

What are your favourite musicals?
Assassins is my all time favourite, but I also love Cats, A Chorus Line, Newsies, Starlight Express, Sunday in the Park with George, Pippin, Gypsy, and many more!

How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it?
I enjoyed the odd musical as a little kid (especially Wicked) but I didn't get properly into musicals as a whole until I saw the 2012 Les Misérables movie. From then on I discovered a whole bunch of other musicals via Tumblr and the rest is history.

Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to?
Aside from almost playing a part in a high school musical (I dropped out early on), no...but I'd love to be involved in some amateur stuff someday. I probably don't have the chops for performance but I'd love calling the shots as a set or costume designer or director for sure!

Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love!
I love the costumes in Cats and Starlight Express! They're so creative and aesthetically pleasing.

If you could get tickets to see any musical right now, which would it be?
I'd really love to see Jesus Christ Superstar live...that would be awesome!

Looking forward to chatting with you all soon

Report Reply

Reply by rin <3

posted

lmao im like the only other one here BUT HERE WE GO VGUJHBD

1. What are your favourite musicals?

my top 3 are definitely tick tick boom, dear evan hansen, and 21 chump street. idk why i love these sm lmao, but some other favorites are cats, first date, waitress, and basically anything with lyrics written by laurence o'keefe lolz

2. How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it?

i lowkey cant pinpoint a certain musical that notably sparked my interest, but i'd like to say listening to the dear evan hansen soundtrack out of context was for sure a major factor. im pretty sure the first musical i appreciated / enjoyed was hamilton (basic ik) but i think my interest for theatre really became more predominant when i saw my second live musical performance, which was legally blonde <3 (my first was adams family musical lmao)

3. Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to?

technically , yes i have lol. but i dont think a 15 minute version of summer camp approved heathers counts... but in the future i would love to ! 

4. Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love!

i somewhat dislike be more chill , but istg the set and lighting are just so good. same with hamilton. like i dont really love either but i have to give them credit for the amazing sets 🤌 (not that both musicals are rlly great , they just arent my preference lmao. BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN I WOULDNT SELL MY SOUL TO SEE THE OBC PREFROM FGYUHKJ)

i was supposed to go see mean girls bway on tour , but the second my dad finally agreed all the tickets were sold out(eternally sad abt this) im still pretty salty abt this bc one of my freinds went to go see hamilton on tour , and the day mean girls came to my city has already passed so now im determined to see an actually broadway production one day >:(

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ive been on the lookout for a group like this for a while , so im rlly glad i could find smth like this :D i look forward to chatting w uu <3

Report Reply

Reply by gaz ☆

posted

hey rin, welcome to the group! thanks for being the first person to take the plunge and post something

i'm not sure what the key to an active group is (groups seem to be a fairly underused function on spacehey overall) but it's good to see someone has use for this one regardless. and a fellow cats fan at that - yay! perhaps as more posts trickle in people will feel more inclined to participate themselves?

hamilton and legally blonde are great shows to spark an interest in musicals. what was it about them you liked most? i'm sorry to hear you missed out on mean girls. how disappointing fingers crossed you get the opportunity to see something just as great soon!

Report Reply

Reply by Kat On Broadway

posted

hello im not sure how active this group is but i had tried to make my own theater group and also am suffering from inactivity so i figured i should post in what i think is the only other one lol BUT TO THE QUESTIONS

1. What are your favourite musicals? - Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Into the Woods, and Sweeney Todd are my top 3!
  2. How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it? - Since freshman year of HS which has been quite a few years now but that was when I had just discovered emo culture and had watched sweeney todd for the first time, which is my FIRST musical unless u count disney animated ones
  3. Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to? - ive been on the stage and behind it in many different crew positions but i have the most experience stage mananging 
  4. Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love! - anything bernadette peters does is my favorite thing in theater lol
  5. If you could get tickets to see any musical right now, which would it be? - i think the into the woods revival is still on? and i would love to see it (but that would also include free tickets to new york lol)

Report Reply

Reply by gaz ☆

posted
updated

welcome kat! thanks for joining in and sorry your group hasn't seen much activity either i STILL need to get around to watching hedwig and the angry inch, but i have a friend who i'm waiting to watch it with sometime.

one of my other friends was considering seeing into the woods on broadway soon, so yeah, i think it's still on! to be honest, i never fully realised the sheer number of shows running on broadway at any one time until talking to her about which one to choose...it's insane!

Report Reply

Reply by Kat On Broadway

posted

i never saw your reply whoops but what u said about the sheer number is INSANE esp if you want to see an off-broadway show, it almost TRIPLES at that point

Report Reply

Reply by Bear/Charlie

posted

What are your favourite musicals? i've seen many but Be More Chill & Heathers on top

How long have you been interested in musical theatre? since birth

What got you into it? family worked for several musicals and ive seen them all

Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to? been in many musicals as lead roles, backstage crew, ensemble, etc.

Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love! bueaty and the beast costumes cause my dad designed them

If you could get tickets to see any musical right now, which would it be? no clue, ive seen them all!

Report Reply

Reply by Kirby

posted

1. What are your favourite musicals? my main favorites are phantom of the opera, les mis, and sweeney todd. i also like a lot of others like cats and falsettos and heathers
  2. How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it? being in charlie and the chocolate factor junior was one of the big things, going to my local theatre to see touring casts of any musical possible, learning broadway songs on piano, etc.
  3. Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to? yes! i was in charlie and the chocolate factory, aladdin, grease, helped with lighting for another aladdin show and the little mermaid. ive also been in multiple various original plays.
  4. Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love! gaten matarazzo and sierra boggess are my favorite actors, and the masquerade ball gown from 2011 phantom.
  5. If you could get tickets to see any musical right now, which would it be? the sweeney todd revival!

Report Reply

Reply by Nas

posted

1. My favorite musicals kinda change all the time but I lovelovelove be more chill, hadestown, and beetlejuice
2. I've been interested my whole life but I didn't get into it until my school made us do a mandatory musical in elementary school lolz
3. I've been in a play and 2 musicals, I've done summer camps, and I wanna try crew!!
4. I am so not normal about the squid song from be more chill I am literally so rich coded its not even funny I am him (minus the burning down a house thing) all of the music from be more chill is so good and honestly just be more chill in general bcuz its literally so stupid but in a way that makes it amazing
5. If I could get tickets to any show it would def be Beetlejuice. seeing it live feels like it would be such an experience, esp on broadway

Report Reply

Reply by Hestia

posted

Hello! I'm Hestia

Oooh hard one. I really like a lot of the Wildhorn shows, especially Death Note, Jekyll and Hyde, and Scarlet Pimpernel. I also love Les Mis, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Phantom, but honestly i just like ton of shows. I'm also a major Starkid fan!

2. How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it?
I started out a history kid and got into really into theatre via Hamilton. Been a theatre person for about 6/7 years

Tech Crew, specifically lights. Not only that, but I'm actually going to school for Theatre Design and Technology, and hope to work theatre professionally

4. Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love! 
Okay it is far from my favorite show but the lighting for Cats, specifically the touring production. Beautiful. I would not appreciate that show as much as I do without my backstage experience. It's really a show to show off how cool your people are and storms if that lighting design isn't incredible. also Warlow!Jekyll supremacy.

oooh, the english Death Note production that's being worked on in London right now, i'm so excited that we're finally getting a full english production. either that or Les Mis, I'd love to see that live again

Report Reply

Reply by SurfSanne

posted
updated

NEWSIES Absolutely Newsies, I've been obsessed since I first watched it 3 years ago. But I also love Le Mis, Finding Neverland and Heathers.

I've been interested in it since forever, I played in a few musicals when I was younger and I remember loving it and wanting to continue it but social anxiety stopped me from doing that. I went to the Lion King when I was younger and I just absolutely loved it, it was downhill from there.

Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to?

Yeah like written previously I've been in a few musicals when I was a kid. I remember playing older Nala from the Lion King and Jane from Tarzan. I would still love to do it but I think the opportunity has flown past me.

I loved the set design from Newsies West End. It was so immersive and beautiful. I loved that the seating sections were named after boroughs of New York.

Report Reply

Reply by Shelby/Sunny/Vincent

posted

What are your favorite musicals?

Adamandi, The Art of Pleasing Princes, and Be More Chill (But I talk about the first two the most)

I've been interested in musical theatre since I was like 8 or 9. I found Hamilton animatics on my YouTube recommended page and it altered my brain chemistry.

I tried to be in a high school production of Chicago as a performer (ensemble + the clerk), but I had too many sick days and couldn't keep up with everyone else

I LOVE BLOOD OATH FROM THE ART OF PLEASING PRINCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be More Chill probably

Report Reply

Reply by Keybladeofthelostcities

posted

Like, all of them. I really can’t choose just a few

1. How long have you been interested in musical theatre? What got you into it?

I’ve been interested for 8 years, ever since my mom got me to audition at a community theatre

1. Have you ever been involved in musical theatre as a performer, stage crew, or creative staff? If not, would you like to?

I’ve been involved in musical theatre and I’ve been performing for 8 years. Right now, I’m Katherine Howard in my school’s production of Six: Teen Edition 

1. Tell us about a costume/set/lighting design, song, or performer you love! 

Lorna Courtney, Renee Rapp, Jeremy Jordan, Aaron Tveit, and Eva Noblezada are my favorite Broadway performers 

1. If you could get tickets to see any musical right now, which would it be?

Any I can get my hand on. Please I’m des

Report Reply

Reply by p1nk13!!!!!

posted

Into the woods 4ever!!! I love it so much I rant about it constantly. I also love rent, heathers, spring awakening (ngl I have never even looked up a synopsis or anything, I just picked up the cd from a thrift store a while ago and I loved it), newsies, a year with frog and toad, the color purple, and many more. 

A pretty long time. It was a community theatre group that got me into it. I tried it out thinking I would be bored of it within days but then I fell in love!! 

I've performed quite a few times for small community stuff, and also at junior theatre festival, it's a lot of fun. I've also been part of the stage crew quite a bit, also very fun. 

I love Kristin Chenoweth, mostly cause of you're a good man Charlie Brown. And I also love Bernadette Peters. A song I love is getta loada toad from a year with frog and toad. It's just so funny 2 me, turtle is being such a jerk in that song that it's hilarious. It's also very catchy. 

Into the woods or hamilton, probably. 

Report Reply