« Back to the Anime Fans Forum

Sailor Moon - Classic or Crystal?

Some months back, I started a watch through of the classic Sailor Moon anime on Hulu (US). This was the first time I watched the Viz dub (Minus the Sailor Stars arc, which I watched sub as dub isn't streaming), and the first time I've jumped into the anime as an adult. I really enjoyed it, and made sure I watched all of the filler episodes too. After a couple weeks or so break, I jumped into Crystal (dub), and wrapped up watching the Eternal movies on Netflix yesterday.

I have to admit, while I can understand that many will cling to the classic anime due to the larger amount of content and the special place that it holds from their childhoods, I can't help but ask myself: "Does Crystal tell a better story?". I certainly understand that Crystal was created to run closer to the Manga, so fans of that may certainly jump to Crystal if asked to choose between the two. Of course, the Stars arc has yet to be adapted in any way for the Crystal series, and hasn't even been announced yet as far as I am aware.

So: Do you have a preference between the Classic and Crystal anime series? If so, would you care to explain why one is your favorite?

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ascher

posted

I prefer classic, yeah it’s a bit messy and crystal does get more to the point, but classic definitely feels more lively to me personally, and the animation is just way more interesting to watch IMO.

Report Reply

Reply by Ascher

posted

I prefer classic, yeah it’s a bit messy and crystal does get more to the point, but classic definitely feels more lively to me personally, and the animation is just way more interesting to watch IMO.

Report Reply

Reply by Jesse

posted
updated

Classic, definitely. I can't get past the voice acting in Crystal, it really hurts my soul. Sure its rough around the edges, but that's part of the charm of classic anime.

Report Reply

Reply by Alex/Skull

posted

1 l1k3 b0th but 1 pr3f3f th3 cl5zz1c. 1 l1k3 th3 5n1m5t10n 5 l0t m0r3 b3c563 1tz z1mpl3r. cryzt5l z33mz 1dk t00 cr0wd3d 1g

(I like both but I prefer the classic. I like the animation a lot more because it's simpler. Crystal seems too idk crowded ig) 

Report Reply

Reply by Galestorm

posted

I don’t particularly prefer one over the other. I like both. I like classic version because the characters are better developed, the animation and transformation scenes are awesome. I like crystal because there isn’t so much and is more faithful to the manga both story wise and visually, and the cg transformations in the first two seasons were pretty cool (even if they did last a little too long for my taste). 

Report Reply

Reply by Derrickkzzz >:3

posted

100% classic!!

I love Sailor Moon a lot and the crystal just lookz weird to me ;_: but I do love both anyway >:3

Report Reply

Reply by FireSt@rter

posted

Sailor Moon completely missed me as a kid, so I watched it for the first time at the age of like 20 or so, both Classic and Crystal.

Having said that, my vote definitely goes to classic. Dozens of "Monster of the Week" fillers may be annoying, sure, but I honestly like the changes that were made to the 90s anime storyline more than the original manga plot, call me heretic.

Said fillers also occassionally flesh out characters more, while Crystal, by being straight to the point, focuses mainly on Usagi and somewhat reduces all the others to the whole "We'll give up our lives hopes and dreams to protect the princess 'cause she's our light" thing. That's the way I see it, at least, no shaming on Crystal/manga and anyone who likes them whatsoever!

I'm also slightly biased 'cause I like Uranus and Neptune a lot, so learning that, like, 80% of their 90s development wasn't canon per manga (aka the whole talismans and the Marine Cathedral arc and most of their shared scenes) was a blow to take for sure. (I will admit though, the whole thing with adopting Hotaru was very messy in Classic, and cutting Outers out of the 4th season was...a choice).

I DO have to say though, that Mamoru and Chibiusa's characters and relationships with Usagi are much better handled in Crystal/manga, in that regard I'm definitely in favor of the original storyline and its adaptation.

(That's why I like the Sera Myu musicals - most of them mix the two story approaches very well imho :D)

Report Reply

Reply by Pluto<3

posted
updated

In my opinion I prefer the classic instead of crystal, and that’s because crystal just looks weird to me(idk how to explain it).

Report Reply

Reply by totallynot

posted

classic for sure the theme song goes harder and its also just the vibe 

Report Reply

Reply by bismuth

posted

Crystal!

I like crystal more because its more fateful to the manga and has better pacing ヽ (°◇° )ノ  

Report Reply

Reply by worsethan_ever :3

posted

90s one is better its the one i know and the artstlye for crystal js janky tbh

Report Reply