« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Are there any chatrooms left?

I miss the days of meeting people on chatrooms. 

As an introvert, you'd just jump into conversations or lurk until you saw an opening. I hate these stupid dating apps.  I don't go many places where you'd be likely to meet new people. Help!

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Justin

posted

IRC is still a thing. Maybe not a popular as it once was, but it will always have a place.

Report Reply

Reply by Meow♥

posted

Yes, have googled. Thanks. Also I am new to IRC for some reason. Do you have any good suggestions?

Report Reply

Reply by jojo

posted

there are plenty of chat rooms to join. here is a cool app that has many of them under one roof

Report Reply

Reply by necromancer

posted

I think we can blame discord 4 this one

Report Reply

Reply by KONSTANTIN

posted

believe it or not, chatrooms were actually how my parents met back in the old AOL days.

They're still around, I've been in a few of them. Unfortunately they're not very populated anymore, but honestly I see that as a good thing. You're less likely to run into freaks online in a less populated area lolz.

Report Reply

Reply by Helios (he)

posted

Yeah, but a lot of those people still using those IRC chats aren't friendly to newcomers.

Report Reply

Reply by Shadow

posted

Discord isn't to blame for this @necromancer, it's a platform built for groups that were already established through other means to allow them to communicate better, with a huge emphasis on gamers. Discord adopted working aspects of several platforms into one to make it more appealing for a larger user base.

With that being said, sites like Yahoo back in the day were a blast for chatrooms, and you could whittle away days without thinking about it on there, depending on what you were interested in. The days where you had people on normal Yahoo, as well as YahElite and YTunnel were a huge source of entertainment because you had botwars between several levels of programmers. When Yahoo instated captcha to "clean up" the chatrooms they killed their own fanbase. The open join and jump in or even ghosting the rooms is what brought people in.

Just like in the days of the original hotmail before Microsuck acquired them, things were best left simple and free. All of this "progress" in the net killed the very thing it was meant to be. Change is constant, yet it isn't always the best. RIP good ol' 'net...

Report Reply

Reply by luminous fridge

posted

"matrix" is a new chat service kind of like a more open version of Discord or a less open IRC, it has an app called Element

Report Reply

Reply by necromancer

posted

Just discovered Revolt app/chat. Just like discord but way better

Report Reply

Reply by mossy :]

posted

well, there's always pesterchum.

Report Reply