« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

The utter Trash that is youtube now-a-days

Posted by Elliejojo

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

I can't be the only one that's noticed this right?

For the past
year or so Youtube has just gotten way more buggy and slower to use (on
top of other things, Susan.) Videos won't load, The Main Page freezes
up, Thumbnails are differently sized and constantly reload, along with
many more issues ON THE WEB BROWSER!

And that's not counting the
myriad of issues relating to stability and just in-general user
unfriendliness on the Android app. Can't believe how utterly crap the
platform has become.

Report Topic

18 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by NosyCat

posted

I wouldn't know, YT has been utterly unusable for me since years ago. Even after getting a new computer that's much more powerful than the old one.

Report Reply

Reply by frogteeth64

posted

I thought it might have just been a problem with my computer. I didn't know other people were also experiencing this. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ms Myspace

posted

The ads are fucking ridiculous. One time I got back to back 15 second ads that I couldn't even switch the video out of because my hands were full with doing the dishes. At least on desktop Ublock origin blocks those

Report Reply

Reply by joy <3

posted

it all went wrong when they added the "1/2 ads" thing, smh..

Report Reply

Reply by UltimateSpork

posted

I would recommend using invidious if you're too fed up and just want to watch videos in peace. The only downside is not being able to comment or like since you can't use a google account with it, you can import your subscriptions though.

Report Reply

Reply by Christopher Julian

posted

I miss the old YouTube so damn much :( better days my friends.

Report Reply

Reply by Elliejojo

posted

I've also been hearing some good things about Odysee as well, just don't know who or when all these other sites will outlast Susan's playground known as Youtube, time will tell.

Report Reply

Reply by CORKSCREW

posted

that stupid preview video thing they do now is annoying bec it often (for me) glitches out where i guess its supposed to load a preview but i click the video and i THINK the video plays but no it acts like a preview and then the id suddenly ends bec the preview ends. its so annoying esp when i watch yt on my tv

Report Reply

Reply by steph.. x

posted

and not to mention all the bots !!!! i cant look at any markiplier or jacksepticeye videos without all the replies being bots saying super shitty things about them/their deceased relatives- like spam is one thing, but its super gross to be about their family :((( its really sucky, and youtube doesn't seem interested in fixing it

Report Reply

Reply by Liorah♥

posted

Yeah, I don't like modern YouTube. Take me back to 2008/2009; I loved YouTube back then...

Report Reply

Reply by Juan

posted

Ever since Susan, YouTube has been more celebrities and less about it's creators.

Report Reply

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

The censorship issues with YouTube have gotten ridiculous as well. Viewers who don't like a channel's content being able to repeatedly report them/flag them for either copyrighted content or "abusive" content, causing the channel to get a strike by Youtube (since a lot of it is automated from behind the scenes) and then it can take weeks to get a strike removed after filing an appeal because an actual YouTube employee finally reviews it.

My biggest gripe has been with YouTube's monetization requirements. A few years ago, my channel was on the verge of getting monetized then YouTube raised the required number of subscribers and viewing hours. I said "screw it" and then stopped trying to actively get my channel to that level. But the site really does cater to the more "celebrity/influencer" side of video content instead of those that just do it for fun.

Report Reply

Reply by aaliyah

posted

I miss when people would upload videos for fun and not for money

Report Reply

Reply by enTTY

posted

I know YouTube had become almost unusable in Firefox due to FF's old-as-time memory management issues. One video wasn't a problem, but a few tabs open and Firefox's stability goes in the hole. I actually use Chromium specifically for handling web video because Firefox's handling of it is terrible.

I also, at the suggestion by somebody here, spun up my own Invidious instance locally, so a lot of my video now runs through that. I still use Chromium, since it's still video, but the UI is a lot less labour intensive on my browser. If you're not running home servers there are lists of public Invidious instances to use.

Report Reply

Reply by Usagiii

posted
updated

bitview or vidlii are good alternatives

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted
updated

I've been using YouTube since late 2012 and I agree that the website has drastically gone down hill in recent years. 2012 YouTube was good compared to modern YouTube in 2022.

Also, remember when people would upload videos for fun? Those stupid, plastic "influencers" just had to come and ruin it for everyone.

Report Reply

Reply by SafeInSanity

posted

Youtube doesn't let me upload anything. I use Vimeo.

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

Also, they're now starting to block adblockers on their website. >:(

I'll be damned if I can't use uBlock Origin to block all the garbage malware spam ads that they keep trying to shove down people's throats.

Report Reply