« Back to the divination & magick Forum

Where do i start?

Hey! I am new not only to spacehey but also to all of the things in this group. Though I really want to learn more about it. Any ideas where to start?

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by lizard420

posted

If you have any local shops in your area that practice magick, that's a great place to start! But if you don't, r/witchcraft has a lot of really good info. I would say just a tarot deck and some crystals is a good start. Hope this helps ☽

Report Reply

Reply by psycho

posted

Study the basics of the craft and what you need to know!  
here are some things to study.:).
herbs and their properties, candle color's, closed off practices (aka practices u cant do), 
plants, elements, holidays, fasting,
 how to protect yourself, 
sigils and how to make them, where to place sigils, 
spells, types of spells, types of magick, rituals, when's best to do a spell,  
different types of divination,  
Moon phases,  sun water/moon water,
grounding, astral projecting, mediation  
spirits 
the fae 
manifesting   
crystal properties, crystals, how to cleanse crystals, how to charge your crystal,  
oils and what they can be used for, how to make oils
 how to make your own altar, 
jinx, hex's, curse's, omens,
 shadow work, 
grimoire and book of shadows 
 types of witches/what type of witch you are
 angel numbers, signs, symbols, 
 if you plan on doing deity work or serving  gods ( its your choice u don't have too) here are some things too look into
 signs that they are reaching out to you or signs that they would send when reaching out,  offerings to give them, what they can help you with, 
(a must ) signs that its not actually ur deity and that its a trickster spirit/demon/or a random spirit pretending to be them  (watch out for that btw), 
how to contact the deity u wanna reach out too, 
 things u can do with gods and can't do, 
 prayers,

Report Reply

Reply by Lily Marie

posted

Everyone can start differently but I simply started with buying crystals from my local metaphysical shop :)

Report Reply

Reply by jahzlyn

posted

Start with what your most drawn to! For e its divination, the elements, and the moon. But for you it could be the histories of magic, deities, etc.

Report Reply

Reply by Jacqueline Michelle

posted

Books, is your best teacher as a solitary partitioner. I started with beginner books then moved to magick books then to tarot and divination.  

Report Reply

Reply by RockJuleMantis

posted

Personally I started with divination but, I know I still have alot to learn about. But, I'd recommend checking out Witchipedia.

Report Reply

Reply by Nana/나래

posted

Hi! Here's some of my recommendations!

Youtubers

-Harmony Nice

-Witch of Wonderlust

-Dragonfeather369

Books

-Literally anything by Scott Cunningham

-1001 Spells

-The Good Witch

-Living Wicca

Topics to study/research:

The differences between Wicca, Paganism, and Witchcraft

The history of witchcraft

Types of witches + craft

Common plants used

The moon cycle

Meanings of crystals and how to use them

Tarot cards and oracle cards

Substitutes in witchcraft

Jinxes, Hexes, and Curses (They are different!)

The wheel of the year/sabbats

These are just some basics that'll hopefully give you a boost! I'm sure you'll discover more to love as you learn. Remember, witchcraft is 98% research. Lmk if there's anything more I can help with!

Report Reply

Reply by Autritus

posted

Hello to all my fellow Pagans & Random Bystanders!

This group is specifically for Tarot, Oracle, or any other form of Divination enthusiasts that love expressing and sharing all things involving these topics, the attention you could bring to this Newfound group would be most appreciated. So join if this is something you would like to get involved with.
groups.spacehey.com/divination

-Autritus

Report Reply

Reply by xX_N1ghtm4r3_P01s0n_Xx

posted

I'd recommend learning protections first. Whether that be burning herbs to cleanse a space, using wards or spell jars etc, having protections up is always a good idea.

I'd also recommend looking into paths and seeing what works for you. You don't need to subscribe to a specific path if you don't want to, but it can give you an idea of what you are interested in.

After that, figure out what you wish to achieve in the craft. What are your goals and aspirations? What is your hope down the line? You can write it down or just make a mental note if you want.

Then I'd recommend looking for people to chat too, like on here which you're already doing! However, having physical in-person communities can also really help.

I'd also recommend looking at stuff to avoid. This would include anything involving cultural appropriation (e.g. not being initiated into voodoo yet using voodoo practices like Sour Jars), anything risky, dangerous or expert (e.g. blood magic) and so on. It's a good idea to try and do as little harm as you physically can, both to others and yourself.

And finally; have fun! Witchcraft is a lifestyle, a spiritual practice and a hobby. So make sure you're having fun along the way.

Report Reply

Reply by HELLY STILETTO, High Priestess of Coffee and Wine

posted
updated

I was fortunate to have stumbled across The Sisters Enchanted at the start of my path...I recommend them as a great starting point. They have a lot of free and low-cost resources and classes on all things witchy...The earlier episodes of their podcast goes into all of the Tarot cards and how to read (without memorizing keywords, etc) if you like divination. They have a comprehensive Magic program that you can do which I can't afford but I have learned plenty from the free/low cost ($15-$45) workshops... Also, check out the Podcast Tarot Bytes. She also goes into each of the Tarot cards as well. 

Sisters Enchanted Website:
https://www2.thesistersenchanted.com/

Expedition to Soul Podcast (Sisters Enchanted Podcast): 
https://www2.thesistersenchanted.com/podcast

Tarot Bytes
https://www.thetarotlady.com/tarot-bytes/

Report Reply

Reply by EBINOTTI

posted
updated

Some great replies! 

I would recommend starting where you’re drawn or called to start. Definitely focus on protection and stating your intentions in the beginning. And BIG ADVICE would be to choose your side early on, if you know what I mean. It’s a lot harder to sway someone who knows where they stand🖤✊🏼🤍Xx, E

Report Reply