« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Where do we go when we die?

All religions and beliefs are welcome :) I'd love to hear what you guy's think of an afterlife or if there is one?

I sway between both, I have a feeling there is something beyond this temporary time on Earth, but it's bigger than we can comprehend. Most religions are paths to the same thing. 

But then sometimes I'm like... maybe there isn't anything?

I hate that I always think about this xD having an existential crisis everyday is exhausting lol

Report Topic

158 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Carly

posted

I believe we go to heaven when we accept Jesus Christ as our savior and repent from our sinful ways 

Report Reply

Reply by Deity Soup

posted
updated

(My perspective, everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with any or all parts)

When we (beings) are born we have to learn how to create reality. Now, you couldnt just have full reign as an infant, so we get training wheels. The training wheels are this time space we are currently in. (Not instant manifestation, theres a delay in manifesting speed)
When we do pass on, we will go into darkness.  This darkness is basically and empty slate to call upon the energies to create the time space we desire for our next journey. If we dont have as much awarness of creation when we go into this darkness, we will be lost. Forcing us to reincarnate in this space again as an infant to learn.
The concept of hell would be to be stuck in this time space in a loop. By surrendering our power to false idols and gods (waiting for something exteral to bring salvation) we keep ourselves stuck. 
The great message thats been attempted to be translated through time involves waking up to our true power (but its been interpreted so many ways, all claiming to be THE way [religions], that many have no personal awareness and experience of this inner seat that builds our cosmic foundation.

I guess thats a rough sketch of it anyway

Report Reply

Reply by 8L4CK834RD

posted

We know for sure that noone really knows what happens when you die regardless of religion. People within the same religion believe in different things.  My personal experience with entheogens lead to me to believe there's WAY more than we can imagine.

Report Reply

Reply by Aster

posted

I like the idea of reincarnation. The rules of physics suggest that energy cannot be destroyed only transferred... Perhaps our  energy moves on to another plane a 4th dimension or another planet it would explain dejavu but also ghost and UFO sightings?

Report Reply

Reply by 【Megaalith】

posted

Probably purgatory at first, to filter out the good and the bad people

Report Reply

Reply by randomnly

posted

The ground

Report Reply

Reply by Steez

posted

If we're not ready to go back to source/god, we are reincarnated after time to come up with new lesson plans for our "earth school", to determine what we need to learn. From there, we can establish soul contracts - contracts with people in spirit form that they will incarnate with us to help us learn things, a boyfriend, husband, mom, sibling etc. If we're all good and have learned everything, we go back to source/god. For most of us, we're being reincarnated.

Report Reply

Reply by hrh eliott!

posted

I'm not really sure I'm alive. I'm not religious and I have BPD so this can be quite common. I think maybe I'm just a consciousness and the world around me has been entirely manifested by myself which is why things always seem to work out in surprising, specific and often positive ways for me. Also I've nearly died a bunch of times and was technically dead for about twelve minutes, it was surprisingly chill and my life since then has been much better.

Report Reply

Reply by Juliette

posted

We haunt ourselves like lil neutral ghouls.

Report Reply

Reply by Jake

posted

╭━┳━╭━╭━╮╮
┃┈┈┈┣▅╋▅┫┃
┃┈┃┈╰━╰━━━━━━╮
╰┳╯┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈◢▉◣
╲┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▉▉▉
╲┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈◥▉◤
╲┃┈┈┈┈╭━┳━━━━╯
╲┣━━━━━━┫

Report Reply

Reply by Jolene

posted

I've thought about this a LOT as I have stepped away from the christian world I grew up indoctrinated in. 

I want there to be some place that our souls go to when we die. Maybe the Mormons have something going on with their whole 'each person gets their own planet' vibe. I don't honestly think there is though. That would require a physical space to hold whatever space a soul takes up and if you add up every single person that has ever lived (adding in any fetus conceived then lost to spontaneous abortion if you believe fertilized eggs have souls) it just gets to be too much for it to make sense. 

If there was, I'd like it to look like souls floating around but unable to physically impact our world. (Within reason because privacy should still be a thing.) They just exist around us and eat dinner mystically at our tables when we aren't in the room or something. 

Report Reply

Reply by Fabian Dee

posted

No one has any proof of life after death, so you're basically asking people to guess. That's not to say that there isn't something, but you won't know until you die and if you cease to exist you won't be aware of it anyway lol

Report Reply

Reply by Leaf Elvan

posted
updated

Okay so this is just what I personally have come to believe, I don't claim that it's an absolute truth, just what makes sense to me...

Everything in the physical world is constantly vibrating on different frequencies, that is a known fact easily proven by science. Some researchers  suggest that consciousness is inherently linked to these vibrational states. So in a way, every single thing is conscious to some extent. Now that doesn't mean that say a table can feel sad or understand what you're saying if you were to talk to it, but depending on the material it's made out of it will have a certain type of consciousness. Like a pile of sand that absorbs the heat from the sun and retains it, it can't know that it's heating up, but it's molecules are still acting in a specific way because it is receiving that thermic signal. Another thing that we know is that matter cannot be created nor destroyed, only transformed, everything comes from something and nothing disappears completely. So taking all of this... My personal belief is that our consciousness simply changes once our physical body dies. Wherever our bodies are put to rest, we will eventually be one with that place. One of my cats recently passed on, we laid him to rest on a nice spot by some trees near a small lake, he is now a part of that place; that soil, the plants that will grow there, the ants that will make their home near him, the water that feeds off of that soil's minerals.. all of it, it has a part of him now. He may not have the consciousness of a cat anymore, but the soil vibrates with life and so does everything around his past body. That's the way his matter was transformed.

I used to want to be cremated when I die, but I've changed that decision for a burial now that I have these beliefs, because I too want to be a part of the world in that way once it's time.

Edit: For context, I grew up in a Catholic household, was an atheist from around 10/11 years old until sometime between 2019 and 2020. I'm 23 and an eclectic Wiccan witch now.

Report Reply

Reply by UniqueFreak

posted

@stosh That's not fair or accurate...

What about cremation, burial at sea, sky burial, cryogenics, mummifucation, etc?

JK of couse.

As an atheist totally agree with your point.

Report Reply

Reply by Nein MC

posted

Where does the flame "go" when a candle goes out? Where was the flame before the candle was lit?

What we consider other persons or ourselves is a process, not an object. Arguably, it's part of a larger process, and that one doesn't end, but that doesn't really say anything about the parts of it we consider individual living beings. When a drop of water becomes part of the ocean, the ocean gets slightly bigger, and there isn't a drop anymore. Everything it consisted of continues on, but it's now differently configured and is now, for our minds anyway, something else.

I think the tapestry of life is beautiful, but individual threads in it tend to overrate themselves. The desire for those threads to go on forever is both stupid and selfish on behalf of the threads, who want to sacrifice the sublime beauty of the whole for the sake of their mediocre selves going on forever.

The people who actually would want to go to "heaven" with hardly a thought of what that would even be, are probably the ones that would drive me to a state of hateful disgust within mere eons. I'm convinced that the people who might deserve to live forever would never want it, you'd have to force it on them -- and the people who would want it are the ones it would be wasted on. And that's not even getting into the people who think they deserve bliss in heaven, while others get tortured... that's human, all too human to me, it's the kind of shit I already see in society every day, the exact same banal nonsense. I recognize none of that in the unspoiled beauty of nature or creation, if you will. Either it just exists, or it was made by someone or something *WAY* better than any of this "but what about meeeeee" stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by ♫ Gage

posted

I've got a pretty good feeling that when I die, my body is gonna be put into a coffin and lowered into the ground and buried for however long the Earth exists

Report Reply

Reply by ReyIsNull

posted

i imagine either heaven or hell.

but i think the concepts of heaven and hell are beyond our comprehension. im a christian so in my opinion i believe the only way to gain eternal life is to accept Gods gift [that in which is eternal life].

Report Reply

Reply by Alex Zavala

posted

A question I keep thinking a lot about lately, In the end I think it's best to stay positive and hopeful in your end times sometimes I get scared when I die I'll be locked in the emotions forever lol

Report Reply

Reply by MK

posted

i’m not religious, so i don’t really have an opinion on what happens after death. sure, i have theories but they tend to switch quite a bit. i think the whole simulation theory is definitely possible 

Report Reply

Reply by MK

posted

i’m not religious, so i don’t really have an opinion on what happens after death. sure, i have theories but they tend to switch quite a bit. i think the whole simulation theory is definitely possible 

Report Reply

Reply by Hatsune Miku

posted

I'm quite late but I think whatever we believe is what we get! If you're unsure of what you believe you create whatever you want

Report Reply

Reply by riri

posted

I've been brought up to believe one thing and one thing only... That the concept of Hell and Heaven does indeed exist and that all humans good or bad will be guided to one amongst the two for all of eternity. But before all that there'll be some kind of court to assess whether we truly deserve to go or not. I wholeheartedly believe in it and don't think there will be a moment where I do not. Maybe my deep beliefs somehow prevent me from understanding other people's point of views because a minute ago I laughed at a comment somebody made about people instantly going to Heaven after they die. I wish that was real!

Report Reply

Reply by Synt4x3rror

posted

The ground. One day you're alive, the next you went top sleep and never wake up.

Report Reply

Reply by Llama_legss

posted

My two theory's of the afterlife for that I believe: 

1 - The religion or the belief of what the person sees the afterlife as will become their afterlife. For example, Christians believe that they will go to heaven and face God and will do so as they believe it or Atheists believing that dead bodies are into eternal Darkness which will happen to them. 

2 - After dying you simply have your soul disconnected from your body and witness what happens next with the world. You do have a choice to go back in and reincarnate or never go back and watch the world with other spirits (random people you don't know, your family and friends that have died) around you. 

Report Reply

Reply by ebookjapan

posted
updated

Believe on the Lord, Jesus Christ and be saved.

James 2:18: "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith
without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works."

We are saved by faith, and our faith is made manifest by what comes from our heart.

Galatians 5:6: "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."

Mark 8:34: "And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples
also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny
himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Romans 6:14-18: "For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his
servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of
obedience unto righteousness?

But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed
from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness."

Just because we are saved, does not mean we have free license to sin and do whatever we want. The luciferian doctrine is "do as thou wilt" which is in opposition to what God wants from us. We all have crosses to bear and strongholds to dismantle in our spiritual lives. God knows our hearts, and he knows our struggles.

Hebrews 10:16: "'This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts,and I will write them on their minds.
Then he adds:
'Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.'  And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary."

Report Reply

Reply by DKTR

posted
updated

When we die our brain dies shortly after your body and the body decomposes after 24 to 72 hours.

people created stories such as Heaven to feel in peace, because losing everything and yourself is scary. the thought of not being able to continue life terrifies people and knowing there is a safe place full of goods, a place where you can finally rest in peace brings comfort.
but I am not dead yet, who am I to say all this?
this is all just evidence from history and science.
ask a dead person maybe he might know, oh wait, he's dead.
having an existential crisis over what comes after death is the worst because while we worry about that we miss what we have!

Report Reply

Reply by razerz111

posted

i always say WHO CARES? we are alive! i am not thinking about anything except lving!!!

Report Reply

Reply by razerz111

posted

i always say WHO CARES? we are alive! i am not thinking about anything except lving!!!

Report Reply

Reply by strawbepi

posted

I'm not religious, so

I think you go back to that place you were before you were born. Whether it be some black void or whatever afterlife you subscribe to, I don't think any of us will retain consciousness or sense of self after we die so it feels moot

Report Reply

Reply by Laurence

posted

to another planet reincarnated perhaps?

Report Reply

Reply by Ben

posted

I expect to experience nothing after death. Oblivion, the void, whatever you want to call it. The end of existence.

I do not expect everyone to share that expectation, though, and nor do I claim to know that that's how it'll turn out.

People who tell me how it'll turn out, though... those I pity.

Report Reply

Reply by ♡~kitty~♡

posted

hey i think that our energy is still present after our death but we re probably not conscious anymore that is what i believe 

Report Reply

Reply by Hatch

posted

Taco Bell

Report Reply

Reply by Helios (he)

posted

Two words: Space babies

Report Reply

Reply by June Gamba

posted

We really don't know. However, I personally think reincarnation of some sort is the most likely result. Where exactly we go or what happens will never be known and really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Just live a morally just life and let whatever happens, happen.

Report Reply

Reply by 333voidGirl

posted

there are an unfathomable amount of things that could happen to you in death, every religion is technically correct because its all possible. depends on ur spirit and soul

Report Reply

Reply by Justin

posted

Valhalla if I'm chosen 

Report Reply

Reply by Ariel V

posted

I would like to think that when one dies, nothing happens.. like when you go to sleep but with out ever waking up, your mind shuts down and that’s it.. that to me sounds very peaceful. 

when I think about heaven being real or hell I can’t help but think that both places would probably be a lot like life here now and that’s just exhausting. 

Report Reply

Reply by KaYnE

posted

Life is but a dream. When we sleep, we dream, when we're "awake" we dream. Life is just the most powerful dream we're currently having, so we keep coming back to it, but one day it will be over, and we wont even know it, because we'll wake up into another as if this one was the dream we were having in that one. To infinity and beyond.

Report Reply

Reply by marpels

posted

TGI Fridays.

Report Reply

Reply by ikareeeeeeeeeee

posted

i have a theory that pretty much everything in the universe is cyclical (sleep, death, the universe itself for scaling examples). Honestly heaven as a concept scares me just as much as hell because being in one state for any infinite period of time would be torture to me, bliss or suffering irrelevant.

Report Reply

Reply by zuena

posted

i am not exactly sure due to the lack of definitive knowledge i have about this matter. there could be loads and loads of different possibilities, and it is difficult, i think impossible, for me to answer that objectively as i am typing at this very moment. i do dwell on the possibility of there not being an afterlife, where after we die, there is nothing but, well, nothing. however i do not concrete proof of that being the case. on the other hand, i do dwell on the possibility of there existing an afterlife, and i still do not have proof of it actually being the real deal.

perhaps we shall (or not) see once we ourselves die. the answer could be either of the two, something in between, something totally out of this binary or something entirely different.

Report Reply

Reply by Basil

posted

to preface: I'm not at all religious (despite growing up in a religious-ish home)

1. I believe we end up in some strange, incomprehensible space that is a culmination of  memories from when we were alive, an example being like a shopping mall with stores that couldn't possibly exist like a Myspace restaurant. I feel as though this location would be different from person to person due to how people had different experience/memories from when they were alive, but it consistently is either something that you, if you were alive, wouldn't be able to comprehend could exist, or an area consisting of those such incomprehensible ideas.

2. We end up in some kind of 'spectator mode' of sorts, where we still exist in the world that we were in, but we just aren't there anymore. This afterlife could be due to unfinished business/being vengeful towards another person or not. Now, this idea definitely has a lot of conflicting rules that may or may not be in place, such as the manipulation of objects, being able to either communicate with or show that we as spirits exist to people who are alive, and the idea of being able to pass on. 

3. We reincarnate. The reincarnation could work in one of three ways, either it's random what we reincarnate into, the actions you did in your life manipulates what exactly you are reincarnated into, or the 'creature' that killed you and/or caused you to die is what you reincarnate into. 

Report Reply

Reply by AnnChovie

posted

I don't know. I don't believe in a god, nor heaven or hell. I hope that when we die it just ends. I hope there's nothing, just emptiness. 

But at the same time I hope ghosts are real, that our energy lives on in some parallel plane of existence. If that's true I'm haunting the hell out of my friends. 

Report Reply

Reply by FNGD RAAB

posted

We become one with the energy of the universe again baby! Like the Cetra and the lifestream! 

Report Reply

Reply by maelstrom

posted

i believe in what's called The Law of One.

i believe that we are all spiritual beings having a temporary human experience and that every soul goes through a very lengthy evolution, which is broken up into seven different levels, or 'densities' of consciousness.

the third density of consciousness is the one we're all currently trapped in; this is the "period of choosing". we each individually choose whether or not we're going to go down the path of 'service to others' or 'service to self'. our consciousness is currently shrouded by a veil, and we're unable to remember anything from our past lives because of this veil - unless we actively work towards piercing that veil via shadow work, meditation, etc.

there is so much more to The Law of One that i can't currently touch on, so i encourage you to look up 'The Ra Material' if you feel so inclined to do so.

as someone who used to be a devout Christian and spent a lot of time reading and pondering the Bible, i can guarantee that The Law of One has a lot more to offer someone who's actively seeking the truth in its entirety. it resonates with me more than anything else ever has.

Report Reply

Reply by envy

posted

I'm not very smart or theological at all but I just hope after we die we can do more of what i've done on earth but without the excruciating emotional pain  

Report Reply

Reply by Cosima

posted

Afterlife is such an interesting topic! I call afterlife Heaven or the other realm. Since I believe we are energy, our energy is pushed to the other realm and the ones that we have left behind absorb some of our energy, which is why I believe grief is painful. The other realm is a place you make it. It has no rules or laws. You just are. In the other realm or Heaven you choose whether you need more experience or lessons here on Earth, or if you are ready to evolve into a greater energy. You make a deal with source, God, universal power...deal contract, whatever you wish to refer to this next life. You know what you need in the other realm as you are not restricted to 3d. You are in a higher dimension. 5d and above. Of course I am still working on my own beliefs but I hope this helps someone understand what they to on their journey :)

Report Reply

Reply by Bunny._.inc

posted

Personally im not too sure, however id like to think that what happens to you depends on your beliefs. Personally i believe in reincarnation and have gone through past life regression meditations multiple times each with different outcomes so i believe we will reicarnate at some point

Report Reply

Reply by ApollyonZK

posted

I believe we go on to the next life. Maybe some people go to heaven, maybe some reincarnate, and maybe some sleep for eternity. But I do believe we have lived a life before the one we have now. 

What I don't believe is there being nothing or non-existence. The universe, according to the Poincare recurrence, will return to it's present state after enough time passes. It may take millions of millions infinities to reach that state, and in that state you exist. So even after you die, you'll come back again, in some form. 

Report Reply