« Back to the Spacehey Leftists Forum

Who else joined SpaceHey to escape consumerism?

Hello Friends and Comrades,

I recently heard about SpaceHey on Linus Tech Tips and was immediately intrigued by promises of no algorithms and no targeted ads. I thought I had to check it out, because I am very frustrated with the state of current social media. I have stopped using Facebook and Instagram a while ago, recently deleted my TikTok, and even Reddit isn't what it used to be.

I'm sick of products being shoved down my throat.
Sick of algorithms that fan the flames of hate.

Why are y'all here?

Report Topic

23 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by emolovestory

posted

I joined because I was a Myspace user, but it's nice that the algorithm doesn't try to sell us any products

Report Reply

Reply by root

posted

ngl this is kinda my first social media? Recommended to by a friend because the consumerism kinda kills the experience...

From what ive seen of other sites, id have to agree!

Report Reply

Reply by Jordan

posted

I was mostly just tired of the Zucc and hoping to encounter fewer fash

Report Reply

Reply by alab

posted

Good Day Comrade! 

I too wanted to try this out to get myself a break from the consumerist hellhole that is Twitter and Facebook. It's nice to see a website that is community-driven that reminds me of the free and open Internet in the 2000s

Report Reply

Reply by alex <3

posted

I totally joined for the same reasons. crazy. 

Report Reply

Reply by Jefferson mr milk Dharman 1349 plague

posted

Do you like to game? Maybe you just need new friends. I got you join my group to play games as an online club of gamers groups.spacehey.com/Gameboi

Report Reply

Reply by Pencil

posted

I definitely joined ro escape social media that doesn't align with my values. FB's Community Standards are trash and basically pander to reichwing fascists 

Report Reply

Reply by spamtonium

posted

Hello! Realize this thread is old, but hi...

This is exactly why I joined. I was tired of being advertised to.

Report Reply

Reply by Data

posted

Same here! I hated being advertised to every other post, made me feel like nothing more than a gear in a money making machine. I also prefer to decide for myself what I want to see instead of letting an algorithm feed it to me. This site and Tumblr (despite the fact that it advertises, its still more my speed with the lack of algorithm and the easily filtered tagging system) are the only social sites I frequent now lol

Report Reply

Reply by XxDespairFactionAshtonxX

posted

I'm here for a mix of internet and subculture nostalgia but also the perks of having a decentralized non-monopolized social media, free of algorithms and excessive advertisements/consumerism. Plus the moderation against extremism and hate speech is much more enforced here rather than platformed and promoted like on websites such as Twitter. Also the mass customizability is a good escape from corporate minimalism.  It's all around a breath of fresh air. 

Report Reply

Reply by gül ☆

posted

yes !! i wanna connect w ppl cuz its just content and not interactions anymore :(

Report Reply

Reply by Masked Archers

posted

honestly, we've been trying to cut back on more common social media unless it's work related so I guess this still applies

Report Reply

Reply by Dereos Roads

posted

Here for a number of reasons already cited. I’m still on the majors though I did purge them for about a year or so due to the algorithms, lying to Congress, etc. I did go to some other alternatives, but some tend to turn into hotbeds for hate and conspiracy theories. Spacehey comes off as unpressured and unadulterated fun with a retro feel.

Report Reply

Reply by ash<3

posted

i joined bc i had always heard about myspace and stuff but was sort of too late to find it before it died, and i love programming, so the fact that there were no algorithms, no targeted ads, and allowed you freedom to design your page really interested me

Report Reply

Reply by xBarbarax

posted

probably half half for me, i joined it because of both decentralization and because i miss myspace lol

Report Reply

Reply by Kari

posted

i came here because i want to get away from meta. I really like that there are no ads on here, those drive me bonkers. also, partly for nostalgic reasons.
Not to mention that it's a platform that allows and encourages users to be creative in the crafting of a profile, other platforms are so streamlined that it feels like the internet has lost a lot of individuality. 

Report Reply

Reply by Xander☭

posted
updated

migrated from reddit to twitter to here. i quit reddit cos of the api changes, then twitter because i just couldn't stand elon musk. this website seems really chill actually and seems to be more a labour of love than something for profit. i'm mostly here cos my boyfriend showed me it tho

Report Reply

Reply by Ill Overlord

posted

I wanted that old internet where it wasn't abunch of corporations trying to act human for money and not have every bit of my data sold. Also helps there is no "crypto or ai" integration.

Report Reply

Reply by liz violet

posted

everyone on tumblr was jokingly saying to move here, in case the skeleton crew of a moderation team fucks up too bad lol

Report Reply

Reply by UnderScore

posted

Totally came here for the less consumerism!!

Report Reply

Reply by diana

posted
updated

I was slightly too young to be on MySpace (I'm 26) so I'm definitely here to be able to meet new people in a place that's less centered around consuming and shopping. Especially since I struggle with not buying things impulsively and having that around me in a space where I'm just trying to interact and keep in touch with friends feels cruel. 

It's bizarre how much we've accepted it as a given that the places we keep track of everyone in our lives and meet new people online should be places where we're constantly coerced into buying stuff. I'd rather just donate to a site or pay a monthly fee but I'm aware that they do it because the money raked in from it being this way is so much more than a subscription or donation service could ever make.

Report Reply

Reply by PLASTIC//MEAT

posted

totally did. i'm young enough to have grown up on algorithms, and the more i notice them, the worse it gets. it's nice to choose what i look at myself without worrying about my data getting stolen.

Report Reply

Reply by nyq

posted

I joined for the meme of it (friend recommended) and I'm back and here to stay. I miss having online friends and I miss feeling in community rather than competition. 

Report Reply