« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Jews in SPACE(hey)

In terms of the forum title from Super Mensch Mel Brooks (it's a bit from History of the World pt. I)  .

Seeking fellow Jewish people of all flavors. I was raised in a USCJ Conservative congregation but as an adult I lean Reform/Reconstructionist approach.  And I am not that observant but used to go to schul a few times a through the year outside of High Holidays. Currently seeking some guidance preferably by a Queer and/or Female Rabbi.

Let's kibbitz!

Report Topic

49 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Blayke Rose

posted

fellow Jew here. L'chaim! <3

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Well, hello! I wasn't sure whether this topic would get views or replies because of antisemitism being on the rise but I'm glad there is someone out here like me. L'chiam!

Report Reply

Reply by Katie

posted

Black and Jewish here, was raised Orthodox now reform. 

Report Reply

Reply by ♡7 evil blah blah♡

posted

shalom!

i was raised in a secular family but joined a reform synagogue in late 2018 <3

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Hello! Nice to meet you!

Report Reply

Reply by Anda

posted

Shalom! Nice to meet you all :)

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Hello, Anda!

Report Reply

Reply by Melted Mallow

posted

Hi, Reform/Reconstructionist here!

Report Reply

Reply by Anda

posted

The more the merrier!

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Anybody got plans for Purim? It would be cool if I could find a Magilla reading on a zoom or a Facebook live or something. Not sure whether I'll dress up or anything but still something to do.

Report Reply

Reply by Bella/Ruben

posted

Hi, I finished converting novemeber last year! 

Report Reply

Reply by Melted Mallow

posted

I haven't seen a whole lot popping up with regards to Purim, but I might not be looking in the right places...

I would've thought that Jewish Live would have something, too.

I found this (registration required): https://tcjewfolk.com/event/purim-party/ . But that's all I have so far.

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Thanks, Rei, for that link I'll go check it out! And welcome, Bella! Mazal Tov on your conversion!

Report Reply

Reply by Anda

posted
updated

I can't get used to virtual meetings. It's too stressful and I don't do them when I don't really have to. Before the pandemic I used to go to Moishe House. But I don't think I can participate in the virtual lecture this year. It would make me too anxious.

Report Reply

Reply by Melted Mallow

posted

Totally understandable! Our congregation meets virtually, and I have to turn the camera off to feel comfortable. But then they do these "break-out rooms"... that's rough on the anxiety.

I feel like it's hardest when you don't know the people very well. You're all sort of sitting there, staring blankly at the screen.

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

I haven't tried to attend any virtual services yet. I left the schul I grew up in because the Rabbi was a scumbag and yet he is still employed for another 5.5 years per the contract.

Report Reply

Reply by Anda

posted

It's good to know I'm not alone 

In the end it seems that my friend from Israel is going to throw a secret party to celebrate Purim.

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

A lot of the people in my weekly knitting group are Jewish and since Purim is on the 26th we are going to have a festive evening on the 25th with drinking and groggers.

Report Reply

Reply by TinyHogHaver69

posted

Secularish/ethnic jew here! :) Glad to have found this thread.

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Welcome! Do people have plans to gather for Passover? Not that I want to think about it. (I don't clean my house for it). I will have my second dose of the Moderna vaccine on 26th so I don't know how I will be feeling come seder.

This year is flying by!

Report Reply

Reply by moony

posted

hi i am alzo a jew!! i conzider myzelf to be more modox than anything haha :D b"h there are more of uz

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Hi, Moony!

Report Reply

Reply by Gibsonreno

posted

Reply by Gibsonreno

posted

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Hey everyone, should I shift this to Groups?

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Wishing you all a Shana Tova! A happy and healthy, peaceful and prosperous 5782!

Report Reply

Reply by Melted Mallow

posted

You too! It's good to be firmly into 5782...

Report Reply

Reply by 【dakota】

posted

shalom everyone :)

Report Reply

Reply by rhubarb

posted

hi! i was raised in a chabad community. my household was never strict though, my parents only became orthodox around my bat mitzvah and none of my other family are orthodox. i want to get into reconstructionism, humanism, and judaism-informed communalism as well :3

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Welcome, rhubarb!

Report Reply

Reply by SusieQ84

posted

Happy Hanukkah peeps! Hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday with some latkes and candlelighting!

Report Reply

Reply by edibleconcrete

posted

conservative convert here! chag purim sameach everyone :)

Report Reply

Reply by alex <3

posted

it's been my dream for so long to convert to Judaism, beautiful way of life :)

Report Reply

Reply by lcss96

posted

shalom! i was raised in a non jewish house but find judaism really interesting and wish to convert someday (srry for the bad english)

Report Reply

Reply by sobb1ng

posted

hello! im thinking about convirting for a while now as i think that jewish religion is most fitting to my views. im wondering how to get started, but thanks!

Report Reply

Reply by Space_Nuggets551

posted

shalom my fellows

שלומות לדוברי העברית פה

if someone if online,nice knowing others are here as well :3

Report Reply

Reply by Melted Mallow

posted

@sobb1ng: start by reading on My Jewish Learning, and then reach out to a local Rabbi to schedule up a meeting. The Rabbi will be able to direct you to more information, open up learning opportunities, and answer any questions. They'll also be able to give you a sort of overview on what the process looks like.

Report Reply

Reply by eggboy_exe

posted

howdy, i'm in the process of converting (reform) myself, i was actually raised in a Christian family. happy hanukkah to you and yours! ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by Space_Nuggets551

posted

hello from Isreal i would love to help and teach people our ways as i am also looking to having friends here :3

it's a bit lonely when your'e something "diffrent" such as this and such lol

tbh i didn't knew that there was such a group

Report Reply

Reply by Ludwig Van

posted

shalom!! ^_^ im a jew and a timtum!

Report Reply

Reply by Fox!! :3

posted

Not a Jew but learning Yiddish

Report Reply

Reply by lars𖤐

posted

shalom :) i'm a sephardic agnostic reform jew

Report Reply

Reply by Nashoba

posted

hi!! :D im a convert, its been a crazy long process and im still not done yet lol just cuz life has been crazy and never been settled down long enough with one rabbi to be able to get stuff sorted. i just recently moved to illinois and theres a recon shul right there in chicago and i was like :O cuz ive never seen one around before, tho im into recon and humanistic.. i still need to make a day to go visit but apparently the rabbi there is a lesbian..!!! so exciting to meet a shul with rabbi(s) who have experience with queer stuff, bc i want a nb conversion and its made finding the right rabbi so hard.. til now! <3

Report Reply

Reply by Alona

posted

Hey! I was raised Reform, now somewhere like machmir Modern Orthodox and leaning toward Chabad chassidus. Just trying to figure out a happy balance while keeping halacha :)

Report Reply

Reply by Femto

posted

shalom 

Heil Hitler!!!

Report Reply

Reply by Zero

posted

this is a very old thread but if anyone is still active on it.. hello

Report Reply

Reply by Azael Hazel

posted

Reply by Br00talKris

posted

Hello... Im new to the jewish community. I smoke fent and play a shit ton of guitar hero world tour on my busted ass wii. Will i still be accepted into the jewish community living like a certified real nigga oh yeah i also listen to a fuck ton of opium like ken carson and destroy lonely and playboi carti and nsbm and merzbow is that shit aight wit yall niggas. Rocking my star of david foamposites rn on some serious fym shit 

Report Reply

Reply by Azael Hazel

posted