« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

NFTs are shit, support artists.

Posted by Squid Died

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

DeviantART still exists and by uploading ur stuff there you'll have access to the platform's built in recognition software that scans both its own website and also NFT markets for unauthorized uploads. Its a free service for 3 months after the upload date but Core members have indefinite protection.

If u need another reason to hate NFTs, its unfortunately a pretty common problem for small artists to have their art stolen and tokenized without their consent. There's also cases of scumbags commissioning small artists for art, only to sell it later as an NFT for huge profit, none of which will go to the artist who crated the piece.

Its pretty clear to me that a lot of cryptobro's don't actually value art in itself and are just out to try and flip their crappy lions for clout. Support actual artists and get something truly unique.

edit: nvm Deviantart has pulled some bullshit AI stuff, if u have any art on there, pull it off before it gets fed to their new generation tools >_>

Report Topic

15 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted
updated

> cryptobro's don't actually value art in itself
NFT's are just the latest in a long line of schemes the wealthy have used to avoid proper valuation of their assets to avoid regulation and taxes. Five years ago these same people would have paid someone to value a cheap commissioned painting at $5k and donated it to a 501.3c charity to get a tax deduction. Now they pay $5k for a receipt to a digital monkey because the taxes collected on assets under a certain value are lower than what they would be paying if they had the cash, and it counts as an instrument in their investment portfolio which they can use as leverage in other investment actions.

The only difference between then and now is that the rich assholes' idiot friends started buying them too because they're all so terminally online they'll dish out however much money it costs to be a part of a meme.

Report Reply

Reply by frogteeth64

posted

It's kind of obvious that nft people only value art for it's monetary value rather than the art itself. I think this has been done with traditional art for a long time but with nfts it's even more apparent. Like with the Mona Lisa or something you would probably be able to get more enjoyment out of it if you owned it because you could see it in person more often than somebody who didn't. Like if you put it in your house then you could see it almost whenever you want, but somebody who doesn't own it would not be able to see it. They can look at pictures but they aren't able to look at the original. So while owning traditional art can be an asset or an investment there are also other benefits of owning it. With digital art like if you "own" it as an nft the only purpose that ownership serves is financial. Anybody else with a computer and internet connection can just download it and experience it the same way you can without spending any money on it. The only thing somebody that "owns" a piece of digital art as an nft can do that somebody else can't is sell it right? Like digital artists should be able to make money off their work and I bet some artists have made money off of making nfts with their art, but it's clear the nft community isn't focused on compensating digital artists for their work because digital artists are having their art stolen and sold without their consent and they aren't making any money off of their stolen art. Like I can't imagine why somebody who appreciates digital art and wants to support digital artists financially would spend thousands of dollars on a shitty picrew rather than just commissioning someone.
Art should be appreciated for it's cultural value, the time and skill and craftsmanship that went into it, it's societal value, it's beauty, it's meaning and symbolism. It should be appreciated as a creation, not valued as an economic asset or investment. 

Report Reply

Reply by Akira

posted

crypto bros have really stepped that low to steal art? honestly im not shocked. nft's have never been about art, only about fake money

i can never understand it. why do people want more capitalism the expense of others? 

Report Reply

Reply by Crash Test Dummy!1

posted

Ik, it's ruining a lot of artists careers and jts a scam. Alot of these art sites like artstation and deviant art need to do smth about it. What's also rly annoying is how many ppl buy into these - I have seen countless ads online about nfts and crypto currencies and a whole lot of shit to take money away

Report Reply

Reply by Kevin

posted

As a monkey myself, frankly it's appalling to see my likeness used for money laundering and pyramid scheme scams like with NFTs.

Report Reply

Reply by joy <3

posted

Nfts are ugly anyway. And the people who make them are just middle aged fat incels

Report Reply

Reply by Lil Bleach

posted

deviantart ha$ a junk layout I hate it go in$tagram vva$ legit hovvever open$ea I$ a great very to make money a$ a arti$t lazy mint your art

Report Reply

Reply by Kitchen Staff

posted

It was obvious from the start that NFTs where just for the money when the amount that was minted was in the hundreds/thousands so they ALL had to be randomly generated with pre-made assets.Those NFT bros stealing art is just a new low.

Report Reply

Reply by vixen

posted

i'm so glad it's dying slowly. i didn't get how many celebrities were trying to promote them either

Report Reply

Reply by kittenbug69

posted

nfts are the most god awful things in existence.

Report Reply

Reply by Richard P.

posted

I think most of us (who were and are sensible enough) knew from the get-go that NFTs were a hot fad that was going to fizzle out faster than the dot com bubble. I think that, combined with an insanely saturated market, and the sinister prospect of stealing people's art for this massive pump and dump scheme, justifies our collective judgement that the entire NFT ecosystem is seriously deserves to fail. Glad to hear that DeviantArt is providing some level of protection, but ultimately, I think we can all agree that it's insanely gross that they should even have to in the first place. :|

Report Reply

Reply by Shadow Bliss

posted

I'm genuinely glad the whole thing fucked up.

I mean you see stories of someone buying this shit that doesn't actually make them the owner of the thing they supposedly bought. These people bought receipts. I know they might pull this shit again but if I just want a receipt, I'll write one out myself as...its free.

Report Reply

Reply by noah

posted

ppl stealing art and having it reposted somewhere else and money being gained off of it doesnt only happen with nfts

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕯𝕬𝕹𝕿𝕰

posted

this is kind of related but ive never really understood was NFT's are other than really expensive premade art pieces..? can someone explain in simple terms what they are and why theyre bad? not that I support them, im just confused bcs i never learnt what they rlly are

Report Reply

Reply by Carboniferous

posted

Looks like NFTs are now dead in the water! XD

Report Reply