« Back to the teenage hackers πŸ‘¨‍πŸ’» Forum

What is hacking?

lets start off with a simple question, what even IS hacking?

well,Β Hacking, in the broadest definition, is the process of taking something and figuring out how it can be manipulated in order to achieve a certain goal. Within the realm of computing, hacking is no different, but the process becomes a lot more complicated. On a computer your target will usually interact with many different things (both behind the scenes, and front-and-center) that are all written in various languages; some of these languages are simply for markup and some are proper programming languages. For computers, hacking usually boils down to exploiting a security vulnerability that's been unwittingly exposed.

what do i need to know?

The answer to this question depends on the target. If your target is a website, then you'll likely need to know how to make websites yourself. If your target is a application (like a computer program), then you'll need to know not only how to make a similar application, but how to read the compiled form of a program - this can vary depending on the language used to create it.

where do i begin?

I would suggest picking a target type first. Websites are probably the most common, but also the most difficult in many scenarios.

While at first glance applications may seem more complicated, you have direct access to the underlying code. If your target is a website, then you'll want to know HTML as well as a back-end language like PHP. HTML is a markup language that your browser reads that tells it how to display a website, whereas a back-end language like PHP is handled by the server to generate the HTML that is sent to your browser.Β 

If your target is a application, you'll want to first figure out what kind of executable it is - that should give you an indication of the kind of low-level code you'll need to know. In most cases, this will simply be assembly (ASM for short). You'll also want to know a high-level programming language that can produce that kind of executable. In Short: For websites learn HTML and a back-end language like PHP. For applications learn a high-level language like C++, and its corresponding low-level variant like assembly (x86 and x64 are the most common variants on Desktop).

Okay, I've written "Hello World!" in my chosen platform. Can I move on to hacking now?

Congratulations! But you'll want to slow down, you've accomplished the most basic steps. From this stage on, you'll want to consistently think to yourself while programming something that can take input (in any form, regardless of source) if there's any way this can be manipulated. Program around that possibility. You'll find yourself a much better hacker and programmer if you learn to think like this, at this stage. Some common exploit types to keep an eye on (you may want to read more detail on these at your leisure):
Buffer
overflow Data injection (Like SQL Injection)
Man-in-the-middle attack
Brute force

OK, are there any tools i should know about?

yes, but you should just check out the HTS official discord server and go into the 'getting started" channel, because i just got most of this info from there...lol

Report Topic

0 Replies