« Back to the The Rawring 20s! (2000s Emo/Scene) Forum

Opinions on e-kids?

personally, I'm not a huge fan mostly, but i do lean towards it, kind of because its a little bit of all i can get in regards to alt generally, but I'm interested to hear others' thoughts!

(also ik it can be a bit polarising to discuss so pls dont be mean to people :'3)

Report Topic

22 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Squirrel

posted

I do think that it’s a generic alternative fashion movement and I fully support that. However I did see an unfortunate trend of people whom only got into it as a trendy pass time. 

I think it can be a cute look. 

Report Reply

Reply by Niku Necromancy

posted

hmm kind of in the middle.

I think they get waaaay too much sht for literally just dressing in black. ppl just scream at them calling them "posers" even if they're not claiming to be emo.
yeah it's annoying when they call themselves emo or goth or smth but most of them don't.
some of the makeup and styles they do is super cute honestly! and some of it is .. not my cup of tea, but others say the same abt how I dress so if they like it, there's no reason to hate on them. 
I don't think it'll become a full-blown subculture, but it doesn't deserve most the hate it gets.

Report Reply

Reply by ♰ Dhampir ♰

posted

The ekids of today are the emos of the early 2000s. I’m just thankful kids are growing up open minded to alternative culture and not caring what people think of how they dress :P

Report Reply

Reply by erin

posted

i dont really have an opinion on them, the style is alright, not for me but if thats what they like then cool, its just annoying when some of them try and label themselves as things they are not or attack us for no reason, its happened lmao. but i guess theres always sucky ppl no ones perfect  

Report Reply

Reply by 05spark

posted

Hrmmm personally I'm a gen z idiot too

Not an e-kid but
I feel like there's a definite line between emo from myspace and e-kids on tiktok 
Ig it's freedom of expression; a good sum are nice but the worst ones are pretty damn shitty 

Report Reply

Reply by Korpse<3

posted

I like some e-kids, ive just never really been a big fan of them.

Report Reply

Reply by spicy-sparklez

posted

Not my cup of tea but otherwise I don’t mind em, I see them as a distinct subculture of their own separate from goth, emo etc. The ahegao face trend I don’t understand, though. 

Report Reply

Reply by mcrkid666

posted

fuck them and their trash ass style :DDD

Report Reply

Reply by sn0tr4t

posted
updated

I don't have a big opinion on the actual clothing style? It can be cute ig, the only thing i hate is when ekids make fun of emos n stuff when they literally borrow so much from them without realizing it
Its a bit overrated and i dont fully get the hype, but i also def think they get way too much hate
Like som people get so mad at ekids for no reason which is just sad when most of them are just teenagers experimenting with their style

im gonna be honest tho, eboys scare me to death

Report Reply

Reply by Emo_Screamo

posted

They suck. They think they can replace us real Emo kids but they won’t. They are nothing but a bunch of wannabes. They know nothing about music. 

Report Reply

Reply by Emo_Screamo

posted

They suck. They think they can replace us real Emo kids but they won’t. They are nothing but a bunch of wannabes. They know nothing about music. 

Report Reply

Reply by JJ<3

posted

Mixed options,

When an e-kid isn't claiming to be emo or scene I really have no problem with them, I'm not the biggest fan of the style but that's not really important. 

However when they want to call themselves scene just for wearing Kandi, or some equivalent for any other subculture it irks me. I don't necessarily witch-hunt these people, just block them so I don't have to be annoyed lmao

Report Reply

Reply by Wentz System

posted

we've been a target of harassment by people who hate ekids (we aren't even ekids we're emo) so we're kind of on the ekids side now, people who hate ekids should go outside. emos calling people poser for not knowing about certain emo things or in the worst cases for being part of a marginalized group is actively preventing people from becoming emo so i think that it's silly to try to act like the subculture police and we should instead let people do whatever they want.

- six

Report Reply

Reply by XxDespairFactionAshtonxX

posted
updated

I honestly dont mind them. I used to have this huge hate boner for them cause I perceived them as these asshole kids appropriating the term emo while calling the emo kids of the 2000s ugly and cringe. Truth is most actually didn't say those things and actually admired the culture that preceded it. I also noticed more and more that it is more inclusive to POC than emo used to be, and it helped that they use more accessible aesthetics and even genres of music closer tied to black communities (not to say that the origins of rock music didn't come from POC either, rock was invented by a black gospel woman who had pipes of gold and a guitar), but modern day rap is the new rock n roll for POC. I want to have them have a community like we did back then where they can express their emotional side in their own unique way. As I got older, I feel less inclined to exclude and more determined to allow others to express themselves as they wish and feel a sense of belonging. I hope this makes sense. 

As for the style, its not personally my thing. I think it is too minimalist for me, but if others want to do it, more power to you! I am not gonna hate on something just because I wouldnt wear it. I just like eye catching stuff like crazy ass spiky hair and retro graphic designs with loads of filagree, paint spatters, checkers, stars etc. 

Report Reply

Reply by Possum

posted

i think it's cute but i don't like the people that dress like that because its a trend

Report Reply

Reply by jillyfish

posted

im mixed... will never understand the ahegao face and that head tingle thing they did tho

Report Reply

Reply by xX_N1ghtm4r3_P01s0n_Xx

posted

In my personal opinion; it's a generic Alt fashion and that's not necessarily bad.

What is bad is how some try and shape already existing sub-cultures to fit that vibe (I mean... not my sort of deal, but like, I can't exactly stop you either) or using the Ahegao face (let's not get started on teens using a literal pr0n face seen in Hentai and the fetishisation of Asian people that goes with it). It's also not a "sub-culture" as it, unlike Goth, Punk, Emo, Scene etc it doesn't have a solid music that it branches off from. E-Kids will listen to pretty much anything, which doesn't help. Unless a specific genre emerges in the next few years, it is merely a sub-fashion, and as I said that's not necessarily bad.

But ultimately; if they aren't harming anyone and are having fun, who the fuck am I to judge? If they know not to cross lines that aren't theirs, then let them be. We were all kids once, exploring and having fun and discovering who we are. So if they're not dicks, just leave them to their devices. They'll figure themselves out in time.

Report Reply

Reply by metalnerd

posted

electric kid?

Report Reply

Reply by x.{finn}.x

posted
updated

warning! i may sound blunt. i do not intend to be mean about it but im just sayin it how it is

its just a fashion trend inspired by mall goth and a year later most if not all people who were doing it stopped because it wasnt music based or politically based. hence a trend. it was also mainly a tiktok thing. it looks okay but i cant help but think of the thirst traps on tiktok when i see e kids. however i actually havent seen any since 2020. i dont personally care if people chose to dress that way, i just think people need to understand the social context of it; that its not emo or a subculture. more of sub fashion like someone else said. also how its mostly teens doing the thirst traps on public social media accounts where basically any pedophile has access to it

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

2 words: stupid posers. >:(

Report Reply

Reply by Sprinkle

posted

Some are really cool but some people just did it because it was a trend and now they call them "stupid and cringe" :/

Report Reply

Reply by ★ravenwolf☆

posted

☆They have Jazmin Bean

★We have Avril Lavigne

☆They have demonias

★We have knee high converse

☆They have Kuromi

★We Have Kit the Cat

both are different but kinda the same :3

☆ I personally like emo/scene more ★

Report Reply