« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

DIY and self-hosting.

Posted by enTTY

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

I was wondering if anybody else had been working towards replacing the common internet services they use with self-hosted ones. Running your own web servers and sites, running your own substitutes for things like search engines, file sync services, and communications services.

Right now I've got NextCloud, Jitsi, and Searx running. I'm not sure
what my next one will be. I could do email, but honestly that particular
service is too important to run on my bodge of a server rack. I might give Mattermost a shot as a Discord substitute, though getting friends to adopt the systems I build has been mostly unsuccessful. Also I don't want my home internet getting crushed by external users.
What are your favorites? What are your biggest challenges?

Entity.

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by jojo

posted

if i had the hardware and know-how i would probably run an pubnix so people could host small websites and stuff and maybe an online radio playing music i enjoy

Report Reply

Reply by Cody Wellman

posted

I self host my website and a public file server and I have thought about hosting other services but as of now just my website and file server.

Report Reply

Reply by Cody Wellman

posted

I self host my website and a public file server and I have thought about hosting other services but as of now just my website and file server.

Report Reply

Reply by 11Zofia28

posted
updated

I'm hosting invidio.xamh.de the project is called invidious its an privacy friendly frontend for youtube I'm renting a server at netcup.eu for 30€ which handles around 1milion requests per day. My biggest challenges so far were pretty much to split the server in a public and private part and of course docker being docker.
Currently I run one nginx server as a reverse proxy, but only docker container of  it which is insane I know but it works up too 900 concurrent connections :D

Which I typically don't reach, I normally have 100-200 on weekends it can be more but not much.

If anyone needs help with docker or anything else hit me up I'm more than willing to help

Report Reply

Reply by enTTY

posted

techramancer The i3 might be a little tight for both Plex and game servers. The two cores are a little limiting, but it does have hyperthreading, so that might be enough. Good news is the 4000 series of processors are really cheap, so you could probably get an ebay i5 for next-to-nothing. The first server I ran was a Pentium 4 laptop with 760-ish MB of RAM, as a file/VPN server.

11Zofia28 that project looks really neat! Does it allow access to age-restricted videos? Usually those require a login. I might actually deploy this. I just
finished rolling out Jellyfin, which is similar to Plex. The log4j
fisaco has me planning on an OpenVAS server just to sweep my network for
vulnerabilities from time to time, but after that I think I'll give this a go.

Report Reply

Reply by GromBeestje

posted

I've been running servers for over a decade,
Hosting my own web, mail and IRC.

Report Reply

Reply by MaterialFuture

posted

I do this sort of stuff for work as well as for fun and I can give some tips as well as some examples.

I've setup plenty of Docker environments and there are a few ways to deploy containers that I like without having to rely on Kubernetes. Docker-compose, it comes with the docker install and makes it dead simple to create different environments, usually I'll setup a few of these compose yml files, each one with the site I want and whatever other service I need with it. The other option would be Ansible where you can tell your servers what to do and basically automate whatever you're looking to do, beit deploys, stress tests or status/health checks.

Another thing I recommend is setting up a Grafana service to monitor your stuff. It's very simple to setup alerts via email for when things go down, you really just find a premade dashboard customize it, setup the prometheus container or daemon and you're pretty much good to go.

In terms of self-hosting I mainly run things only I or people on my network can use such as Searx or NextCloud, otherwise I'll setup a VPS and host it remotely so others can use. My next goals are to run a Jellyfin server for music and movies, and then maybe a private invidious instance.

If anyone has any questions on Docker or self-hosting stuff then DM me and I can help.

Report Reply