« Back to the Anime Fans Forum

any good horror anime recommendations?

Posted by Camby

posted

Forum: Anime Fans Group

i need more horror recommendations/where to find them. i’m having trouble finding good ones :(

Report Topic

99 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Nathan Thompson

posted

Reply by Rin

posted

If you haven’t seen Tokyo ghoul it’s amazing 

Report Reply

Reply by madelyn scott

posted

perfect blue!! its a psychological horror anime movie about a retired idol who becomes an actress, but slowly gets more and more unstable when she finds out she's being stalked by an obsessive fan. 

trigger warnings: r*pe, gore/violence, smoking, genuinely intense stress inducing scenes. remember this is a psychological horror so please be aware of that!!

Report Reply

Reply by LILITH

posted

I have read one called "tommie" its a manga though or devilman crybaby

Report Reply

Reply by Sleepy

posted

Corpse party and Another are both good anime. Also give Junji ito collection a try since those are pretty snazzy short stories

Report Reply

Paranoia agent: basically a thriller/horror

Parasyte, the maxim: body horror, sometimes just gross lol

Junji ito collection: pretty much a darker twilight zone in anime format

Elfen lied (not really scary, but gruesome asf tho)

Report Reply

Reply by ZAE !!

posted

Elfen Lied is very good! (Warning it's very gory and sad )

Report Reply

Reply by Ginger ٩(˘◡˘)۶

posted

Another is really good and interesting!

Report Reply

Reply by Addams

posted

Ginger ٩(˘◡˘)۶

I have been suggested this also. I haven't looked into it yet though, is it a short series, continuing?

Report Reply

Reply by Addams

posted

Ginger ٩(˘◡˘)۶

I have been suggested this also. I haven't looked into it yet though, is it a short series, continuing?

Report Reply

Reply by Ascher

posted

1.Hell girl

Less on the horror side,but I remember being somewhat out off by some of the episodes when I was younger. 

2.Dorohedoro

Definitely has gore…like a lot…

3. from the new world

I can completely forget this anime…but when I hear Dvorak’s second symphony.. it all comes back..more on the side of psychological horror, but it’s definitely creepy.

Report Reply

Reply by killuastrange

posted

another

hell girl

when they cry

school days

geez i cant think of any at the moment..these are strictly horror..no powers and what not..school days is a bit different though

Report Reply

Reply by traxhm33mz

posted

Higurashi When They Cry

Report Reply

Reply by Jesse

posted

Happy Sugar Life is pretty good, but more is more of a thriller.

I also really loved Gantz! Note here, though, I read the manga, I haven't watched the anime. So I can't vouch for the anime! But the manga was great!

Report Reply

Reply by AJ( ´・・)ノ(._.`)

posted

Another and Perfect blue are great! I'm not sure if Another is considered a horror though it might just be straight gore. 

Report Reply

Reply by ·•· J ·•·

posted

wow there was a lot of edgy horror anime back then... Anyways heres Shiki, an anime based on vampires ravaging a small farm town in Japan.

Shiki (TV Series 2010–2011) - IMDb

Report Reply

Reply by Handsumm

posted
updated

I like Death Parade. also it has one of the best opening songs ever. 

(its misleading its not a cheery anime lol)

Report Reply

Reply by ShutUpGabe

posted

Corpse Party if you haven't seen that.

Report Reply

Reply by karacore

posted

The Promised Neverland is soooo good (well, the 1st season at least) Its not terrifying or anything but I went into the series blind and yeah the first episode completely threw me off guard lol

Report Reply

Reply by JillyBean

posted

I LOVE Parasyte, although it's more gore than scary. But the story is amazing.

The original Higurashi is also great. The new one is okay, but focuses more on the gore aspect.

Report Reply

Reply by Meer

posted

I saw someone else say this but I'm going to re iterate.

HIGURASHI:WHEN THEY CRY!

its a classic

Report Reply

Reply by ⛓Gothicc Waifu⛓

posted

School-Live!  don't let the moe girl fool you
Sankarae  Guy who wants a zombie for a gf
Highschool of the dead    Fan service👀 but it's good (extra pts. for the 28 days later-esque soundtrack)

Also you have to watch Elfin Lied it's a classic but it's really sad an gory so only if you can handle it 

Not anime but the whole play through of silent hill 4 the room is really creepy.

Report Reply

Reply by gal.ish111

posted

idk if it's already recommended, but recently a horror anime came out(i think it's still airing) - mieruko-chan. tbh there is a little bit too much fan service that i prefere but i think it's okay. it's pretty intense, there are some jumpscares and the spirits are pretty scary. i was drunk when i watched it for the first time but i got pretty scared if that counts xdd

Report Reply

Reply by t0ypirate

posted

tokyo ghoul is def a fave of mine (hence the kaneki pfp lol) but the anime adaptation is a bit of a mess, so heads up if you watch it!

seconding the rec for devilman crybaby. it's an absolutely incredible story with great animation but it will emotionally wreck you lol

Report Reply

Reply by Sredni Vashtar

posted
updated

There's oddly little anime that you can call classic horror genre fare, or at least horror genre fare that's actually scary. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni gets there, and I think it's great, but it kind of turns into a dark but not especially horrific fantasy show in the back half? And while I have yet to finish it, Shiki is pretty well-respected, and it does build tension excellently. But most really good anime horror is… stuff that's disturbing or surreal, but usually put in a different basket for whatever reason. So let's talk about that.

The "travelling exorcist" genre of period fantasy is always a good source of horror, and on a pure style level, Mononoke is unbeatable in that department. Broken down into a handful of short, digestible arcs, each with their own mystery and sinister happenings, rendered in a stunningly strange art style rooted in traditional Japanese watercolour art. In terms of other entries in the style, Requiem from the Darkness is a bit more explicit and rougher around the edges, while Mushi-shi is far calmer and more meditative and only occasionally goes in for the real heavy stuff—although when it does, it does it well.

In terms of science fiction leaning into horror, there are four which immediately spring to mind: Alien Nine, Boogiepop Phantomserial experiments: lain and Texhnolyze. The latter two were written by the wonderfully strange Chiaki J. Konaka, with lain's reputation kind of preceding itself where Texhnolyze is… well, if you've heard of it, the words "darkest anime ever" have probably come up, and that's not an entirely unfair assessment. It's a Capital-A Absurdist nightmare, and it wastes no time in showing you its intentions in the very first episode. But egads, do I love it. Alien Nine and Boogiepop Phantom also share a writerly connection in the underrated screenwriter Sadayuki Murai, here adapting, respectively, the first third of a very odd manga by the equally odd Hitoshi Tomizawa and a number of side-stories from the seminal Boogiepop and Others light novel series. Boogiepop Phantom is very cool and extremely eerie, but Alien Nine is my favourite anime series ever and absolutely horrifying in a not-so-obvious way, so I'm biased.

It's also worth noting that the director of Texhnolyze, Hiroshi Hamasaki, is perhaps just as well-known for directing another very gory, bleak, laconic series, Shigurui: Death Frenzy—in theory a samurai drama, in practice a truly relentless exercise in fatalism and misanthropy, punctuated with horrible, horrible murders. Now, this? *This* is one of the darkest anime I've ever seen, maybe only knocked out of the running by the fifty-minute deathtrip Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki (and its director Hiroshi Harada's previous short film, Lullaby to the Big Sleep), and when that's your competition… yeeeeaaaahhhhhh. Brilliantly made for the maximum absence of fun, but relevant nonetheless.

On more of a high fantasy or New Weird tip: Made in Abyss is wonderful, with some absolutely stunning art and animation and really endearing characters, with some of the downright nastiest swerves into body horror and Lovecraftian cosmicism that you will find in anime. Not for everyone by any means—as if anything here is—but maybe the most striking anime franchise of the last five years, and worth a nod for that if nothing else.

And finally, the late Satoshi Kon is perhaps best known for films like Perfect Blue (already mentioned here and certainly worthy), but Paranoia Agent, his only series, is essential viewing if you enjoy psychologically-driven thrillers with a peculiar supernatural bent and a sharp satirical edge. Excellent series, very much worth your time, and a real visual feast as well.

…as you can tell, I'm very invested in this subject. :P

Report Reply

Reply by Basil

posted
updated

ok i know this was posted a while ago so someone probably either already suggested this, or you're no longer looking for more to get through, but hellsing is really good and sort of falls under the horror genre (and is full of gore). Its quick to get through, and while i personally love the original, hellsing ultimate is almost directly the same as its manga. Its mainly about vampires and such (hence the name hellsing).

Report Reply

Reply by ~Ime~

posted

This is not out yet, but I am waiting on the anime adaptation of Juji ito's "Uzumaki". Is coming out next year if I am correct. Based on the teasers, it looks great.

Report Reply

Reply by MaterialFuture

posted

There's a few I can recommend off the top of my head, most of these can be found on Crunchyroll or the Funimation site.

Report Reply

Reply by Chris Lloyde

posted

Perfect Blue, its fucking perfect.

Report Reply

Reply by neon_cat

posted

you should totes watch Another! Perfect blue is also amazing but it does contain some triggering topics

Report Reply

Reply by Redscope

posted

I think Corpse Party is a good one, even tho it is a bit bloody. :)

Report Reply

Reply by SheepishWolf

posted

Dead man wonderland 

Report Reply

Reply by Sebastian

posted

Kings games. But you should probably look at warnings before watching it as it is a very gory and unsettling anime.

Report Reply

Reply by Kawaiiwannabegirl

posted

This is not that scary but have you seen Parasight 

Report Reply

Reply by cc

posted

deadmans wonderland ong

Report Reply

Reply by maddi <33

posted

Another :>>

Report Reply

Reply by isab3ll3

posted

ok so its not super scary 

but im still gonna call it horror
its called:
Mieruko-Chan
Mieruko-chan (TV Series 2021– ) - IMDb

Report Reply

Reply by Gloomyxvamp

posted

OMG YOU DEF GOTTA WATCH CORPSE SOULS AND ANOTHER THOSE ARE THE MOST HORROR STUFF I SAW WITH ANIME LIKE DAMN CORPSE SOUL IS EVEN HURTING KIDS LIKE...damn.

Report Reply

Reply by qzurox

posted

Yeah eh id say when they cry its sort of a cutesy anime style and more of a psycological horror. I usually dont get freaked out by horror anime but this one is very good.

Reminder 3 first episodes arent scary at all so u gotta watch through them. I think they did that to make it kind of a supride when it gets scary all of a sudden.
Its not for everyone tho since its kinda slow in the beggining 
(Dont look at my typos) 

Report Reply

Reply by kur0m1

posted

Blood C is an alright one but a short one that sent me for a spin is Corpse Party, its technically an OVA so its only subbed but really good 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕕𝟘𝕥𝕥𝔼_

posted

I recommend Junji Ito Collection

Report Reply

Reply by viktoria !! ☆

posted

another (tw: gore) and perfect blue (tw: gore, SA) are amazing!

Report Reply

Reply by Bethie :)

posted

Ghost Hunt, Another, Shiki, Ghost Hound 

Report Reply

Reply by Nadya :)

posted

WHEN THEY CRYYYY

Report Reply

Reply by dianto

posted

idk if it is horror but i liked Another 

Report Reply

Reply by K

posted

Junji Ito

Report Reply

Reply by <3 riri <3

posted

ANGELS OF DEATH.  i highly recommend it 

Report Reply

Reply by Jay

posted

Watch Monster. It's a psychological thriller/horror. About a doctor who gets tied up with a serial killer who was a patient he treated. 10/10

Report Reply

Reply by My melody

posted

I recommended any junji Ito anime/ manga series they are pretty horror and interesting:D

Report Reply

Reply by Yamgeta1406

posted

Friend eater classroom is a really good horror manga. It doesn't have a anime tho

Report Reply