Forum: Books and Stories

Favorite authors?

Report Topic

33 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by RIP

posted

Would it be shitty to say myself? Lol 

If I can't choose myself I would say George R.R. Martin.

Report Reply

Reply by Megan{AZ}

posted

I don't think it's shitty to say yourself. I think that is actually wonderful. I wish I had that much confidence in my own writing. What genre do you write?

Report Reply

Reply by Rebecca

posted

Holly Black. John Green. Neil Gaiman. Hank Green. JK Rowling (still enjoy her work, even if I don't like her as much as a person). Patricia Briggs.

Report Reply

Reply by ꉔꋬ꒒ꏂꃳ ꅐꋬ꒒ꀘꏂꋪ

posted

I would say I was my favorite author but I never go back to read my own books. I would say Stephen King and an upcoming author named JD Toombs. I got an early look at his first novel.

Report Reply

Reply by XxpaigerawrxX

posted

A few of mine are George Orwell, Stephen King, and Neil Gaiman for sure. 

Report Reply

Reply by Rain

posted

Many of my favorite writers come from the world of comics. I've really liked Kieran Gillan, Adrian Tomine, and Craig Thompson. I would also like to read more from Jeff Lemiere.

For prose, I have been reading a lot of Haruki Murakami and Miranda July. I am reading a collection of short stories by Joshua Ferris right now, though. 

Report Reply

Reply by Laura Wolf

posted

I read a lot of contemporary sweet romance, and I love supporting Indie Authors - and as I read on subscription with Kindle Unlimited I pretty much only find authors there ^^" 

My current faves are:

Darlene Byers "Sapphire Ridge Prospects" - a new author with a very unique and earthy Australian voice.

Michelle Pennington - particularly her new romcom series starting with "Oh Keep Your Shirt On"

Tamie Dearen's "Limitless" Billionaire romance series - very refreshing to have representation from the disabled community as believable and loveable heroes who don't need to be fixed for their happily ever after to happen.

Report Reply

Reply by annie:)))

posted

Oof, I have wayyyy too many, but I'll give you a few that come to mind immediately. Richelle Mead, P.C. Cast, Jodi Picoult, C. C. Hunter, Tracy Wolff, Lauren Kate, and if I think of anymore, I'll add to this comment. 

Report Reply

Reply by fishbones

posted

I love C.S. Lewis' ability to create worlds (Especially Narnia). 

To me, writing stories for children is such a kind and honest occupation and I am currently sitting on a tiny book myself that I wrote last year. 

I also love Hemingway, and Agua Viva by Lispector. 

Report Reply

Reply by Codyhatesyou

posted

I know I'm suuuuper late -- but I could recommend anything by V.C Andrews. The Flowers In the Attic series is a good one to start with. All of her novels are pretty fucked up but they're so easy to get hooked to. I'm currently on a Stephen King kick right now cx 

Report Reply

Reply by Brian Palmer

posted

Robin Parrish is a favorite of mine, as is early Ted Dekker. Same goes for the first 4 or 5 novels by Michael Chabon. Other favorites include Keigo Higashino, Marie Lu, Langston Hughes, Tolkien, Rowling (the writer, not the person), Adalyn Grace, Jared Reck, Angie Thomas,  S. K. Perry, Jasper Fforde, and I've recently come to know about authors like Nina George, Liane Moriarty, Jodi Picoult, and Phaedra Patrick, all of whom I've enjoyed reading.

I could go on, but this list is probably way too long already!

Report Reply

Reply by Lexie

posted

Richelle Mead

Richard Paul Evans
Chuck Palahniuk
John Douglas

Report Reply

Reply by Anna Schröder

posted

JRR Tolkien, George RR Martin, Anne Rice, Per Anders Fogelström, Astrid Lindgren, Maria Gripe

Report Reply

Reply by Taryn

posted

Taylor Jenkins Reid. I first read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and was so captivated by the way she wrote the story. I am currently making my way through her older books and she is incredible.

Report Reply

Reply by Jessi

posted

Fellow author here! It's nice to meet you :-) Feel free to check out my stuff https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57572965-strawberry-milk 

Happy writing! 

Report Reply

Reply by Theresa Annalee

posted

Zoje Stage, Melissa Broder, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Junji Ito, and Brian K. Vaughan (: 

Report Reply

Reply by the.New.Vortex

posted

Gene Wolfe, Nick Land, Harlan Ellison, Doris Lessing, Kenji Siratori, Michael Turner, Miguel Burr, Arthur Koestler, Thomas Pynchon, Nandor Nevai,

Report Reply

Reply by Sofie

posted

Shirley Jackson for sure. The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House have stuck with me long after finishing them.

Report Reply

Reply by Frosty

posted

Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Report Reply

Reply by DeryckEleven

posted

AJ Jacobs first comes to mind. His book The Know-It-All was one of the first books I read fresh out of college and it re-kindled my former love of reading.

Joe McKinney and Mira Grant write some great zombie books.

I’d put myself somewhere in my top ten, but not sure where. I definitely enjoy reading my own writing and hope to some day make enough money from it to no longer need a proper day job.

Report Reply

Reply by Shy_World

posted

Ellen Hopkins has been my most recent obsession!!

Report Reply

Reply by wregeny

posted

me ........

Report Reply

Reply by lidia

posted

bret easton ellis, irvine welsh and chuck palahniuk for sure

dostoevsky is always great 

Report Reply

Reply by xX3cheers4BellaXx

posted

Allan Moore, Garth Ennis, Jonathan Hickman and Brian K Vaughan (all comic writers XD)

Report Reply

Reply by c0smic~k0lfang

posted

i've been on the Camus train for a while but more plainly i can never get enough Tolkien...

Report Reply

Reply by Sofia

posted

Novels: Thomas Hardy

Short Stories: Kate Mansfield, Harlan Ellison, James Joyce

Nonfiction: Amanda Montell

Report Reply

Reply by xia ✮

posted

not really my all time FAVORITE author bc I have a habit of forgetting names but rn I really like Lynn Painter (ima add to this thread each time I read a good book by a different author :p)

Report Reply

Reply by xia ✮

posted

not really my all time FAVORITE author bc I have a habit of forgetting names but rn I really like Lynn Painter (ima add to this thread each time I read a good book by a different author :p)

Report Reply

Reply by winecouture

posted

Fyodor Dostoevsky! Just be warned: you may suffer an existential crisis after reading his books <3

Report Reply

Reply by Maximoto

posted

Kurt Vonnegut, I have 3 or 4 of his books but I used to have more I learned my lesson abt loaning books to ppl who do t buy their own I guess. 

Though I tend to have favorite books over favorite authors, really

Report Reply

Reply by Luxuack.com

posted

Vaya... es difícil decirlo porque tengo muchos autores que me gustan pero te diré solo 3 

• Jay Kristoff

• Jennifer L. Armentrout 

• Alex Mirez 

Report Reply

Reply by Bell!!☆Star..

posted

A. Pizarnik es una autora muy buena pero creo q sus obras solo estan en español xd

Report Reply

Reply by ziggy_stardust16

posted

i love mariana enriquez, she is my fav author rn 

Report Reply