« Back to the 2000s fashion trends and nostalgia Forum

Shopping for Y2K clothes? Read this post! (Tips)

So you're a fan of Y2K fashion? 

Of course you are, that's why you're here!

But you want authentic early 2000's clothing, not the carbon copies from Urban outfitters. I'm going to tell you how you can find these iconic pieces! 

Firstly - If you prefer to wear Y2K clothes with the modern twist that you see a lot of people wearing these days - that's totally fine! There are some super cute pieces out there. I'll start by giving you a list of online stores that sell 'copies' of the classic pieces that you would see back in the day. 

Modern Y2K Clothes - Where to get them: 

1. Urban Outfitters - Ignoring the horrendous prices and terrible size inclusion you can get some super cute things from UO. They sell juicy tracksuits, juicy bags and jewellery. But be prepared to pay the price for them; the hats go for £40 a pop. Tracksuits are going for almost £100 for a full set. My best advice is to wait for a sale to get a deal. Urban outfitters is available for both UK and US - I'm not sure about the availability for the rest of the world. 
Link: 
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/en-gb/brands/juicy-couture

2. Boohoo - A slightly better size range despite them running small. They have their own idea of what 'Y2K' fashion is. Not as accurate as you would hope but you can still get some nice pieces. Just beware quality is not their best friend and you get what you pay for. This is a cheaper option for my guys and gals with less in the bank (aka me). 
Link: https://www.boohoo.com/womens/looks/y2k-fashion

3. Amazon - This is a more accessable option for all my international peeps. From what i've seen in reviews, the clothes are very hit or miss so make sure you check out the reviews. A wide range of 90's and y2k copies and a better size range. Also affordable! 
Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/y2k-fashion/s?k=y2k+fashion

4. Dolls kill - A problematic company but I do love their clothing - don't hate me i'm too broke to shop there anyway. A wide range of y2k clothing from girly to emo/goth. Again, this is more on the pricey side but there is a wider range of more unique clothing that stands out. Sells a wide range of different brands that you could purchase from individually if you didn't want to go through dolls kill. 
Link: https://www.dollskill.com/uk?search=y2k&page=1

5. Minga London - This is now one of my favourite stores. A very wide range of clothing that i would consider 'alt' as they differ to what you would see in your average h&m or forever 21. They sell clothes for my edgier friends but also a wide range of Y2k clothes that aren't just your typical preppy, girly clothes but also clothes that take a more grungier approach to the Y2K look. A little on the pricer side but I think this is a little less of a fast fashion companyh and thats why the prices are a bit high. But if you have the money to splash out and treat yourself - I really reccomend this webiste. Not sure if it's available world wide but it's available for my UK people. 
Link: https://www.mingalondon.com/collections/00s-spring

Not a fan of fast fashion but still want to buy brand new? Check out these three stores that are indepdent stores/boutiques: 

1. Omighty - I don't know much about this online retailer in regards to quality or sizes but they have an amazing range of Y2K and edgier fashion pieces that are much more realistic and closer to the authentic look of the early 2000's. As it's not a fast fashion brand the prices are a little high so if you don't have a lot of money stick to the sale section. 

2. Ouchhh - A boutique that recently blew up on instagram, I am obsessed with this website. They sell a range of Y2k clothing from your girly, preppy styles (with hello kitty and sanrio pieces!!) to your edgier, grunge or egirl looks. They only go up to a 2xl which is a shame, make sure you check your measurements before you purchase anything to avoid dissapointments. 
Link: https://www.ouchhh.store/

Sorry these aren't very inclusive in regards to sizing or gender, I could only post about what I know x 

Authentic Y2K Clothing 

I will always reccomend to everyone that's into any style of clothin to buy second hand. Don't get me wrong i'm not perfect I still purchase from fast fashion companies but I try and make sure the majority of my pieces are pre-loved items. 

However - we're not here to talk about any type of clothing, we're talking abotu early 2000's clothing. 

First - you need to know what you're looking for. 

What were some of the most iconic trends during the golden years? 

1. Shiny outfits
2. Baby Tees 
3.Wide leg jeans
4. Double Denim
5. Mini Skirts
6. Velour Track sets
7. Baguette bags (any shoulder backs really - either really tiny or obnoxiously big is your best bet)
8. Colourful accessories (beaded bracelets, plastic rings etc)
9. Bandanas
10. Scarf tops
11. Skinny sunglasses
12. Butterfly clips
13. low rise jeans

Now you have the items that were popular - what about the brands? 

Here is a list of brands that were popular in the early 2000's: 
- Von dutch
-Juicy Couture
- Tiffany&co for Jewlerry
- Uggs 
- Remember snookie from jersey shore? She had her own clothing brand with some super cute pieces
- Uggs 
-Abercrombie & Fitch 
- Baby Phat
- ED Hardy
- Kate Spade
- Lacoste

For more fashion inspo - here are a list of the hottest celebs in the early 2000s. There are the ladies that ruled the fashion scene during this time. Search these people on websites like pinterest, instagram or google images for a better idea of what was 'cool' at the time.

Most Fashionable Celebs in the early 2000s: 
  • Britney Spears.
  • Beyoncé
  • Sarah Jessica Parker.
  • Nicole Richie.
  • Paris Hilton.
  • Christina Aguilera.
  • Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen.
  • Paris Hilton
  • Linsday Lohan
Now for the most important bit - how to find these iconic clothing pieces you want to buy. 

Where to find Y2K clothing/furntiure/accessories:
  1. Ebay
  2. Vinted 
  3. Depop
  4. Facebook Marketplace
  5. Poshmark 
  6. Thrift shops/charity shops
  7. Yard sales
Tips on searching for these items: 

• Be super literal when searching. If you don't have a specifc item in mind you can just search the brand or the type of clothing/accessories that you're looking for. Take advantage of the search filters. Add your size, your preffered colours, add the brand, your location etc. Fill in as much of the information as you can. This will narrow down the search results for you so you only get what you're looking for. 
  • Use phrases/tags. If you're looking for a certain type of style you don't want all the extra bits. For example - if you're looking for clothes from the early 2000's but you're not having luck with putting in sppecific eras or years try using terms like y2k clothing or emo clothing. Even using 'alt' as a tag is helpful. 
  • On Ebay, take advantage of the 'similar items' menu and 'other people also searched' (often on your home screen or below your watched items), which will bring up other items you're likely to enjoy. 

• Ask questions if you're unsure. Lots of clothes from the early 2000's run small so make sure you're 100% sure on the measurements before you purchase

• Go to chairty/thrift shops at quiet times to make sure you get all the bargains. Thanks to tiktoks there's no chance of you havingf a quiet time shopping with all the elderly in your local thrift store - no way. You're gonna be fighting a bunch of fellow indie kids to grab those bargains. You gotta get there first. Schedule a time in the week for you to visit the thrift stores. Start as early as possible, get there for when they open. Don't just go to one either go to all of them! Make a whole day of it! Nothing is more fun than bargain hunting.
    Well thats all my tips for now. This took way too long to type out XD I really hope this is helpful for at least one person as I've seen quite a few posts about people wanting to know where to get y2k clothing. 
      Message me with any other questions! 

Report Topic

18 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ray

posted

I definitely needed this XP

Report Reply

Reply by Jules

posted
      updated

TYSM!! th1s w4s l3g1t a lif3 s4v3r xD QwQ <33 s3nd1ng pos1t1v3 3n3rgy your w4y :]

Report Reply

Reply by Gunterzd3d

posted

Are you god?

Report Reply

Reply by Kayla <3

posted

TYSMMMM <3

Report Reply

Reply by Ren 💖

posted

soo helpfull omg tysm gyall

Report Reply

Reply by Xx_curvycopter_xX

posted

thank you so much, this has helped me a lot!! ^^

Report Reply

Reply by Jade ♡

posted

Tysm!! This will definitely come in handy ( ´ ▽ ` ).。o♡

Report Reply

Reply by AJ

posted

i love you sm <33333

Report Reply

Reply by CookiezareawssomeB3

posted

OMG tysmm this actually helped so much,i hope i can find thrift stores near where i live!!! :DD

Report Reply

Reply by xXkf100Xx

posted

Like graphic tees refrencing the computer bug that scared the shit out of non-tech savy people back in 1999? No thank you!

Report Reply

Reply by Jade

posted

Omg tysmmm!!!💋

Report Reply

Baby Phat made a comeback not too long ago. And, yes! The velour sets are back!

Report Reply

Reply by Vamp

posted

Thank you!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by Vamp

posted

Thank you!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by xoxo_layla

posted

this is awesome thxxxx

Report Reply

Reply by TRAV

posted

Reply by Sasha

posted

Paris Hilton being on their twice as she should be 💋

Report Reply

Reply by fendi

posted

love ur secondhand tips but adding tags are NOT helpful if you want your results to be true finds! sellers have discovered the real value of most of these y2k items and ramping the price up. i really suggest knowing exactly what you want of it, name size etc so you can get a find from a seller who is just selling the item for what they got it for or less!

Report Reply