« Fashion, Style, Shopping Forum

"Elder" Scene/Emo Whiplash?

Anyone else from the prime days of emo/scene getting whiplash by it coming back, or is it just me?

I've been the little alt kid at school since ye ol' 2008
And have spent the last decade trying to pretend like it wasn't still influencing my style lmao.

Now as an adult, seeing it coming back has been really weird.
Like I'm suddenly "cool" now lmao. 

I guess it's time to dust off the knee high converse?

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Oh it's crazy.

I was always a black-clad spooky teen/young adult and I got HELL for it. Made fun of, teased and ridiculed in public for looking "demonic" and listening to "the devil's music" lmao.

I've realized the alternative looks (goth, scene , emo, punk, etc) are kinda creeping back in style and people appreciate it more. I went to the mall a few times and got loads of compliments from strangers. It was so surreal. Cause I was use to harassment for years in the early 2000s, but in 2021, I'm cool?

Man how times have changed. I feel old haha.

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕏𝕩_𝔸𝕧𝕚𝕝𝕠𝕣𝕚𝕒_𝕩𝕏

posted
updated

Sorry double post 🙇🏾‍♀️

Report Reply

Reply by spicy-sparklez

posted

@C Andy 

I know what you mean lol it’s cool to see ppl put their own spin/customize their emo look nowadays but there’s always something that doesn’t hit the right spot. I’m pretty sure it’s the lack of shitty low res mirror selfies playing a key factor xD or the classic myspace angle taken over the head with knees together. I do like how it’s more accepted to have your own style and be yourself though, compared to ppl assuming we were all cutters or suicidal 

Report Reply

I’m super excited! I missed seeing the emo style so now that the new generation is doing it and it’s more diverse it makes me smile. I got so much shit for it back then. It was hell going to school. I never fit in anywhere even the other emos treated me like shit and just would gate keep. Now seeing alternative black girls wearing their curly hair and everyone being more excepting to eachother no matter what race they are.

I of course won’t be having conversations with this new generation of emos/alternative individuals. Because I am in my 30s and I would feel really uncomfortable but I wish them luck and it’s wonderful to see them thriving <3

Report Reply