« Back to the Deranged SpaceHey Gamers Forum

Old-School Point and Clicks

I'm sure people will remember the old point and clicks, where you are expected to fail, both to pad out play time, and to push strategy guide sales, back before you could just look up a walkthrough.

There's the old-OLD Sierra games, the Lucasarts games, and in my favourite, the Horrorsoft ones. All horror themed, obviously, with some of the best music and visuals I've ever seen. Especially Waxworks, though the Elvira games are incredible, if basically impossible without guides.

Wbu, you hold any dear? Still play some to this day? Never finished myst?

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

I had my first PC when I was in the 7th/8th grade. It was one that my uncle got from someone he worked with and there was an old Sierra brand point and click game on in but I can't remember the name of it. I just remember controlling a female character in a house and it was a mix of point and click and typing out commands. 

Report Reply

Reply by O Alentejano

posted

Sierra, playing as a woman in a house.

Would that be Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest?
Unless it's Phantasmagoria, but you'd remember that really clearly, cause it was FMV.

Report Reply

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

I may have to look it up and try to figure it out. I was in the 7th or 8th grade so that was 1993/1994.

Report Reply

Reply by N30V3N0M

posted

Oh man, I have like over 200 point & click games.  It's my fav genre.  I started with Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken & the Alien Mindbenders on the Commodore 64.

Report Reply

Reply by O Alentejano

posted

I've heard wonders of Maniac Mansion, but the interface scares me.

Report Reply

Reply by unrestedjade

posted

Idk what we consider necroposting around here so apologies if this thread is dead BUT point and click adventures are my favorite genre.

We had a couple of the Space Quest games when I was kid (the shareware versions via the Software of the Month club lol), and the humor was juuuuust enough to get me over how scary I found it. I was kind of a wuss, what can I say?

I was always a sucker for the Myst series, too, though I know there's a good-size contingent of adventure fans who absolutely loathe it.

The LucasArts games are my all-time favorites, though, particularly the Monkey Island series and Grim Fandango (my favorite game of all, maybe???) It got a really excellent remaster a few years back.

Report Reply

Reply by O Alentejano

posted

I too am a huge fan of the Myst series.
Mainly Riven and Uru.

As for lucas arts, I'll always love sam and max, it's just too funny.

Report Reply

Reply by Eamon

posted

Full Throttle is one of my favorite games of all time. Awesome story, characters, and visuals. I do see a lot of parallels when comparing the events of that game to real life with this push towards electric vehicles and purists being weary of them.

My only complaint is that the game is on the shorter side.

Report Reply