« Back to the 80's lovers Forum

Night Court

Night Court was one of my favorite shows as a kid. Unfortunately, most of the jokes involving Dan went over my head; I was born in 1981, so I didn't hit puberty until after the show finished its original run. A few years ago I bought the first two seasons on DVD and the show is even funnier now that I'm an adult. 

Unfortunately, in recent times we have lost a few more cast members of Night Court. Harry Anderson, Charles Robinson and now Markie Post have all passed away. If you include Selma Diamond and Florence Halop, that's five primary cast members gone. 

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by SafeInSanity

posted

It's a very funny show. I used to watch it all the time in the 80's at night.  I wish they would put it on MeTV.

Report Reply

Reply by "Brad"

posted

I don't know how, but I watched this show obsessively as a kid and now, decades later, I can still recite entire scenes worth of dialogue. I loved Harry's constant pranks -- putting Groucho glasses on the Statue of Liberty, inflating another judge in a prank war, sticking a sword through someone...

Also they're rebooting the show with the new judge being his daughter, even though that doesn't make sense chronologically

Report Reply

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

I'm willing to look past any plot holes as long as the new show is good. I'm worried about how they are going to handle Dan Fielding. I find it hard to believe that after all these years, he'd still be working the night shift and hadn't become an insufferable judge or moved on to another court. Not too mention, the character's behavior (though fictional and exaggerated) would be inappropriate on modern television thanks to the Twitter Cancel Court.

Report Reply

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

In the time since my last post, Night Court was added to Amazon Prime. I've been watching a little every day. I'm in season 5 right now. It's amazing how they tackled social issues (sex reassignment surgery, homosexuality, mental illness, and political issues with the USSR) using the humor and heart of the show. A testament to the talent of the writing staff and actors.

Report Reply