« Back to the Old Media Collectors Forum

Earliest VHS memories

To kick things off, what's the one tape you remember watching as much as possible when you were a kid? I'd have to say mine was probably The Cat in the Hat with Mike Myers -- unlike most people I love the hell out of that movie, it's hilarious and the special effects are insanely good -- admittedly a few of the dirtier jokes were unnecessary, but that doesn't dampen things. I watched it, but my dad hated it -- not because of the critical response, but because everyone was screaming all the time in the film.

What're your "kid plays it every day and drives the parents nuts" tapes?

Report Topic

13 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Clone

posted

As a kid I was really into trains and my parents got me a collection called america's railroads which is nothing but footage and commentary about old train's and I would watch that nonstop and everyone else found it extremely boring lol.

Report Reply

Reply by DragonStarPlanet

posted

As a kid,

Mostly Disney's The Lion King.

I also have a lot of recorded vhs tapes that I need them to convert to DVD.

Report Reply

Reply by Zap_Rowsdower

posted

mine was watching a blue's clues tape that i'm surprised i didn't break from playing too much LOL

Report Reply

Reply by ToriElectra

posted

I hear that. I had Blues Clues tapes too as a kid, I watched those all the time. I think watching them all the time is what gave me a fear of the Paramount "Feature Presentation" logo for years after -- I thought, between the bombastic music and the words zooming into the screen, that the logo would come out of the screen and eat me.

Report Reply

Reply by XxObscurefruitxX

posted

I had a massive collection of Disney VHS tapes as a kid (still do in a box somewhere) and used to watch them every night before bed. 

One tape in that was particularly loved wasn't even Disney though, it was a little heard of film called "The Elmchanted Forest" It was one of the ones I watched the most. I remember particular scenes, especially at the beginning that were full of big grey bars of static floating down the screen. I grew out of its target audience at just the right time cause it was definitely on the way out!

Report Reply

Reply by Howdy

posted

yoo, I had watched a blues clues vhs tapes too! I'm pretty sure my first crush was the nick jr face that would sometimes appear before an episode lmaoo, I also watched the animated Scooby-doo movies a whole bunch, but the movie I used to watch on repeat that annoyed my parents and siblings was actually not a vhs, but the finding nemo dvd XD 

Report Reply

Reply by Marley Boy

posted

Well, I suppose the earliest memory I have of VHS are all those Blue's Clues episodes that were packaged on those tapes. It's hard for me to remember!

Report Reply

Reply by Ree </3

posted

Scooby Doo: Alien Invaders and tapes with episodes of Dora, The Power Puff Girls, and Courage the Cowardly dog were some of my earliest. Also a tape my mom recorded Anne of Green Gables on for me (or so she thought) but my dad recorded the NBA finals over it lolllll 

Report Reply

Reply by Davey Treen

posted
updated

lol the live action Cat in a Hat was my no-no movie

Report Reply

Reply by Halo guy

posted

Jurassic park

Report Reply

Reply by izzy

posted

omggg probably Little Miss Sunshine xD i don't remember anything from that movie except my mom hating how much i wanted to watch it for some reason

Report Reply

Reply by C

posted

the 1998 Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick. i wore out the tape when i was a kid.

Report Reply

Reply by Kharua

posted

I didn't watch a lot of vhs when i was younger.

But i do remember watching a tape of the care bears every time when i went to my aunt.

Sadly, they got thrown out before i started my vhs collection :(

Report Reply