« Back to the autistics Forum

What age were you diagnosed? (formal or self-dx)

Posted by Baph

posted
updated

Forum: autistics Group

Or: When did you first realize you were on the spectrum? 

I was a super late bloomer with it. I self-dx'd when I was about 25, and got my formal diagnosis at 28. Funny enough, the thing that got me to realize I was autistic was somebody talking to me about how well I wrote Symmetra from Overwatch!

What about you guys? :)

PS: Please no discourse about self-diagnosis. I believe it's a valuable tool for a lot of people and definitely has a place in helping people discover themselves when researched properly.

Report Topic

132 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Keegan

posted

I discovered pretty recently after a long conversation with my therapist, when I was 14. I can't get a professional diagnosis for complicated reasons but it made me feel a lot better to know about myself

Report Reply

Reply by tempest/virgil

posted

i was late diagnosed at 19 in march 2021. (im 20 now!)

Report Reply

Reply by Beck

posted

I got diagnosed pretty late at 18. It was such a long time coming. I wish i was diagnosed as a child, I feel like my school experience would have been much better. I happy I managed to get one, it has made supports easier to access.

Report Reply

Reply by CORKSCREW

posted

i forgot but ive been coming into more proper terms with my autism around 2019 or so. I forogt when i started saying outright that i'm autistic but im pretty sure it was in 2020 or 2021 (former sounds correct!!)

Report Reply

Reply by XX.bxbyy.cassandra.XX

posted

I was diagnosed at age 4 when I started kindergarten so I was very young when diagnosed with autism

Report Reply

Reply by Muzu

posted

like 4-5 months ago ( i self-diagnosed myself but all the traits are there)  

Report Reply

Reply by Pixie XOXO

posted

I was misdiagnosed with ADHD when I was three and got an autism diagnosis last year when I was 13!!

Report Reply

Reply by P1x

posted

I only got a professional diagnosis at 18, but I  had been thinking about it for about 4 years before that.

Report Reply

Reply by Ren

posted

last year, June time I think lol

Report Reply

Reply by Cici

posted

i self diagnosed several months ago & my new therapist is helping me take the next steps to get an official diagnosis!! if anyone has tips or words of wisdom for an autism assessment, that would be very helpful (i'm nervous hehe)

Report Reply

Reply by Ghost_Society

posted

It was sometime early last year, I was seeing a lot of autistic creators pop up in my feed, and the more they had talked about certain things, the more dots just kind of connected, and then as that went on it was just like something I had always thought was a possibility is true.

Report Reply

Reply by SPR1NKL3Z DA SC3N3 K1D

posted

I self-diagnosed this year, I can't remember the specific date though.

Report Reply

Reply by kola

posted
updated

first started considering it when i was 18. almost 20 now and ive been to two psychologists now that did not listen or take me seriously, so im still working on an official diagnosis with support from my therapist. 

Report Reply

Reply by MEW111 (HE/SHE/THEY/IT+NEOS)

posted

Somewhere within my first few years of life. No clue how.

Report Reply

Reply by lara

posted

I was diagnosed with adhd at 8 but at 12 I discovered it was autism and not adhd

Report Reply

Reply by .+* aurora *+.

posted

at 13 I was recommended by my gp to seek a diagnosis and I got it at 14 :] pretty quick ik but I always kinda suspected something was up??

Report Reply

Reply by Markolas+

posted

I'm 36 as of writing this and didn't get diagnosed (or even self-diagnosed) until last year. Still working through a lot and trying to rebalance life to lead to less shutdowns and non-speaking episodes. 

Report Reply

Reply by Princey Panic!! ⚣🔪🥩

posted

just got my professional diagnosis this morning!!

Report Reply

Reply by eggboy_exe

posted

Thank you for this post. I'm currently 25 and I've been trying for years to get a formal diagnosis, its extremely hard to come by for adults. I had heard a misconception that if you're not diagnosed by a certain age, it will never happen, but seeing these kinds of stories gives me hope :')

Leroy, he/they

Report Reply

Reply by william ♡

posted

i realized something was wrong with me like 3/4-ish years ago, realized it was autism about a year and a half ago :)

Report Reply

Reply by rainbowz

posted

formal dx, i wanna say like, 3-5? i am not too sure but it was somewhere around there in kindergarten

Report Reply

Reply by Anda

posted

Reply by babybat bell

posted

Got my formal dx at 18!!! It was p funny actually. all 4 of my psychiatrists at my mental health program took a vote during a conference and it was unanimous. Now it's on paper and I feel amazzzing!

Report Reply

Reply by Xx_EMILYELECTRICK_xX

posted

got a formal diagnosis at 13; i'm afab so i was really fucking lucky for this 

Report Reply

Reply by Xx_EMILYELECTRICK_xX

posted

got a formal diagnosis at 13; i'm afab so i was really fucking lucky for this 

Report Reply

Reply by plut0

posted
updated

i self dx'ed around 4 years ago, and ever since then my mental health has been loads better because i actually know why i feel and act and experience things the way i do. i suspected myself to be autistic/have adhd when i was younger, around the 6th grade, because my closest irl friend (still my closest irl friend) has adhd and told me about their experience with it and such. 

3 years after that they told me more about their experiences with it and how they see a lot of themselves in me with the way i described my experiences with them. and from then that lead me to lots of research, and here i am now!!! :D

i suspect i have both adhd and autism 

Report Reply

Reply by Ryan A. Gray

posted

i self-dx i think late last year or early this year. i'm concerned about the repercussions of getting an official diagnosis since i live in the USA and the govt just loves being ableist. i've done all kinds of research and took the raads-r test and various other tests and it's pretty clear (at least to me) that i'm autistic. 

Report Reply

Reply by Shelby/Sunny/Vincent

posted

12, I got diagnosed a week before my birthday 

Report Reply

Reply by violet

posted

I self diagnosed when I was 14 and got formally diagnosed last year when I was 15

Report Reply

Reply by TEETH ♱

posted

Reply by mimosa

posted
updated

MEDIACALLY DX @ 4/5 YEARS OLD !!! In 2013 !!!

Report Reply

Reply by 3PSIL0N__

posted

I thought i had Autism or ADHD when i was 13-14 because quite afew members of my family also have them but I didn't self-diagnose myself until i was 16 (after learning as much as I could about them both)

Turns out I was right LOL! I got my official Autism diagnosis earlier this year!

Report Reply

Reply by nicolai2

posted

either between the ages of 2 and 4, i don't remember

Report Reply

Reply by starboy

posted

Reply by emmet

posted

i got mine was i was 3!! i feel really lucky that i got my diagnosis so early

Report Reply

Reply by Eden

posted

I self-dx when i was in junior year after about one or two years of research and denial lmao. im currently in senior year so its been a while. When i started telling my friends i got some backlash. people didn't really believe me. the reason i realized i was autistic was when i got in trouble during class cause i was too busy making an alphabetized list of all of my friends instead of school work lmao. thats not the only reason thats just when it kinda clicked for me. 

im currently in therapy to try and figure out if an official diagnosis would be helpful or needed for me. I really want one because im tired of people telling me im not autistic. 

Report Reply

Reply by DolliBunz

posted
updated

Im pretty sure I was 8? My brother got diagnosed at 15, then they checked me out straight after :3 (professional diagnosis!! :P)

Report Reply

Reply by PhoenixHorseGuy

posted

Short answer: When I was 3. Wasn't told until I was 16.

Long answer: I was born in Upstate New York, lived in Pennsylvania for the first three years of my life. My family moved to a different town in Upstate New York around the time of my third birthday. The doctor took one look at me, went "yup, he's autistic", and got in contact with my future school district to set up special accommodations. Thirteen years later, I'm in a different doctors office and the doctor brought it up not knowing that my parents decided to not tell me I was autistic. So I guess you could say me finding out was a complete accident lmao.

Report Reply

Reply by CountFagula

posted

I realized it when I was 23 I think but I’m just currently waiting for a call to get professional dx.

Report Reply

Reply by travis ★

posted

uh i forgot how old i'd be but i got dx'ed in 4th grade (im in 11th grade now)

Report Reply

Reply by Toby

posted

I started looking into different diagnosis’ around 13 but confirmed it when I was around 15. Then reflected on every single life experience lol. :]

Report Reply

Reply by cody

posted

i was diagnosed at 10 yrs old :3!!!

Report Reply

Reply by meow :3c

posted

self dxed about 3 years ago,, i was 12 i think (i forgor) but i do remember my friend looking at me after i told her and going "no, youre not, because i said so." shoulda realized she sucked after that :/

Report Reply

Reply by mai mai mai

posted

Self diagnosed at 13, got diagnosed at 14 :]

Report Reply

Reply by Delta

posted

IIRC, I was diagnosed at the age of 5 or 6. Ever since I was around 4, my parents had a feeling something was different about me, but they didn't think it was autism at first.

Report Reply

Reply by Samuel

posted

I was dignosed at 9! Im 14 (almost 15) now :00

Report Reply

Reply by DIEGO

posted

i was diagnosed when i was 10, but only because my parents were researching 4 my brother (i am afab)

Report Reply

Reply by ollie

posted

I wasn't diagnosed until I was 21 I believe, as autism in women can be so overlooked and the criteria is mostly based on men. Getting the diagnosis feels so freeing as I always felt like I was different growing up and I never knew why - now I've got my answer and know there's nothing wring with me! :D

Report Reply

Reply by Marissa <3

posted

They had believe I had it around 12 but couldn’t diagnose me due to my other diagnosed disorders some complications due to possibility of “over diagnosis” not quite sure if I have autism but I share many traits <3

Report Reply

Reply by ˗ˏˋ leo ˎˊ˗

posted

i was diagnosed sometime during the beginning pandemic/covid so 12-13

Report Reply