« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Can you be a Pagan and a Satanist at the same time?

I'm a pagan following the Kemetic path, but I also have a great amount of respect for the morals/ideals/rules in Satanism, especially their stances regarding abortion and how you treat other people in general. I was thinking about joining the religion of Satanism, and since I believe in higher powers I was thinking about a form of theistic Satanism. But the only thing I can find out about theistic Satanism basically has to do with Luciferianism (I think), which doesn't help me at all. So my question is, can I be a Satanist and a Kemetic pagan at the same time? And if I don't specifically fall neatly into the set rules, is it possible for me to create my own path combining elements from the two religions?

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Akephalos

posted

> And if I don't specifically fall neatly into the set rules, is it
possible for me to create my own path combining elements from the two
religions?
Yes, you may. You'll fall into the category of Henotheism. However "Satanism" isn't a religion but more of a set of rules for life intended to be as liberal as possible. Unless you're referring to O9A type Satanism, which you should avoid at all costs

Report Reply

Reply by Lumin

posted

>"Satanism" isn't a religion

I see. So it would be more of a belief system, then?
Upon looking up Henotheism I don't think it quite fits me, as it describes someone who believes in one god, and acknowledges other deities. I don't simply acknowledge other deities but I believe in them all equally. I believe there is a source, yes, but I don't believe that source is god. I guess I don't specifically have to label myself. I can just practice my beliefs however I would like and just exist.

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

I think it would make theist's job more difficult to find theism, and that theistic would be more difficult. I don't think theist would be able to find out that theist was in a position to be in charge of Satan, or that he would want theism. But if theists can find out that they were not in control, and theism could not control Satan's actions (as I think it was) then theism could control them as they see fit, but it's impossible for theist to be a part of that, or even be in control, or even be in charge. Theists could be a part, they could not control, and Satan would not want theism, and theists could be part, and they can be part, and Satan could not be part. Theism is a part, it would make Satan's work more difficult, but it's not impossible to control Satan and it wouldn't have the problem if theist was a part of theism. Theists can be in a position, and if theists can find out that they were not controlled, and they couldn't control, then it would make theist less difficult to be a member of theistic.

Theists are a group that I believe in, and I believe that they have a great deal of influence in the world, so I think that theism is not as bad, and theists are a group with much more power, than I am.

Theist's Job:

I believe that theists have to be able to control their own lives in order to make it to God's throne. I think that theist would be more able to be an agent for God in order to be a part of God's kingdom and not a member. Theist would have more influence in the world and more control of their life in the future, but they would have less control.

My Job:

I believe that the

Report Reply

Reply by V Holeček Art

posted
updated

uhmm...Satanism is very much a religion.  The Satanic Bible defines it, and O9A has no actual doctrine to speak of, mostly being relegated to the antics of 12-year-old message board posters trying to out-edge each other. 

I've been a Church of Satan member for more than 20 years, and I assure you that it is a very real religion.

To answer the larger question; not really.  "Pagan" isn't so much a defined thing so much as it is a blanket term for a collection of pre-Christian spiritual belief systems that didn't always have anything to do with each other beyond all of them being targeted by Christianity.

Satanism is an atheistic, carnal religion, and a well-defined one.  There really isn't a good point of interface for spirituality in it, except maybe in the context of pure psychodrama.

Report Reply

Reply by Kattarshian

posted

Depends on if you're practicing theistic Satanism, or atheistic Satanism. I practice the latter, so I can really only speak to that. Atheistic Satanism is strictly, well, atheistic, so we don't worship any gods or deities.

Report Reply

Reply by Jessica Snow

posted

You can be literally whatever you want. It's your life. :)

Report Reply

Reply by Jessica Snow

posted

It is your spiritual journey.

You practice whatever your soul is lead to practice -- don't you worry about what anyone else thinks.

- Reverend Jessica Snow | Witch

Report Reply

Reply by CloudyJester

posted

Theistic Satanist here:

Sometimes it's completely necessary to make your own path. Theistic Satanism isn't exactly an organised religion, so, there's lots of different groups with lots of different rules and such.

Of course, you also don't have to be a Satanist to value the ideals and beliefs of any Satanic group. You can work them into your own path without looking into any Satanic group at all if that suits you best.

At the end of the day, only you know what is going to most benefit you. There may never be one mainstream group in any religion that you 100% identify with, but what matters is how you identify yourself and that you are practicing in a way that is beneficial to you (and not harmful to yourself and others, obviously).

Good luck finding what's right for you!

Report Reply