« Music Forum

Under The Pendulum

Posted by Band-Aid (22)

posted

Forum: Music

I just wanted to blog to talk about the music project I've been working on. You can find our most recent song here if you are interested: https://youtu.be/G0_NMSnZ3pA

It's name is Under The Pendulum. The name itself is a reference to Edgar Allan Poe's story "The Pit And The Pendulum" and I chose it to reflect the fear of time and mortality I was struggling with when I founded the project a few months ago. Truth be told, going on twenty-two when most of my idols got their start at eighteen or earlier does cause a feeling of shame and fear inside of me as though I've wasted my time and blew my chance. However, I'll die on the hill saying that I was born to make music, and this project isn't going to end anytime soon.

It's all about rock music, getting away from the metal I was stuck with in my first band. I almost gave up on music after leaving that band, but Set It Off, Palaye Royale, and most notably Black Veil Brides inspired me and fanned a new flame inside of me that made me want to take on a whole new identity in how I wrote and presented music. 

Now I have three songs published, and a fourth on the way. I would like to have six done by the end of the year to complete the album, but sometimes pushing myself to write at the end of a long day of work feels more like a punishment than what is usually my passion. I think it was easier to write in my last band because being in a band meant others were relying on me and I've always felt more motivated to help others than to help myself. I've wanted to get bandmates to be in Under The Pendulum, but I haven't known where to start being in the middle of nowhere in a society where rock music is still viewed either as evil or as old news. I hope one day to find people who see my vision, and will put forth the work to help me make it happen. 

Apart from that I've been looking at YouTube content as a way to keep people entertained. It's tough being on camera due to my complicated feelings towards my own appearance, but I know my personal idols do similar stuff all the time and I want to provide such content to my own supporters as well. So far I've done some interviews and a reaction video, and I hope to bring interviews back once I find other newcomer/local scene rock musicians who are willing.

The future of Under The Pendulum is both very clear in my mind yet also very uncertain. I plan to remaster my songs from this year into an official album version in December or January, then plan to make a new album for next year but will work on and release all of the songs for at once. My goals are to continue making music and searching for potential bandmates while trying to keep my original vision in mind. I've even considered live performances of just me, some backing tracks, and my vocals and guitar solos. 

I don't care if I'm ever "famous" or if people ever consider me as "one of the greats" or anything pretentious like that. If my music reaches the ears of even one person that felt ready to give up, or felt that no one could understand them, and gives that person the same strength I found through music when I needed it the most then everything I've felt and experienced will have been worth it. 

Report Topic

0 Replies