emo styles are obsolete ?

they say emo styles are getting old

tjıs true , tell me guys ?

Report Topic

55 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by xXtrinity.toxicityXx

posted

While they're def not as popular as they used to be they're still out there, the styles might evolve a bit though to fit with modern clothing and stuff but there are plenty of new age emo kidz that stick with the old style so I personally wouldn't say it's becoming "obsolete"

Report Reply

Reply by starry sky :)

posted

I def agree,, there’s a significant decline in traditional “scene” and “emo” styles but with the rise of tiktok trends it seems ‘egirls’ are becoming the new scene... just the evolution I guess, but I wouldn’t necessarily call tiktok egirls scene- feel like that’s a new sub genre altogether.

Report Reply

Reply by jinx <3 is back from the dead!!

posted

i feel like the style rising in popularity (or more the subculture is growing) again, but at the same time there's also a sort of emo not emo style that is e-fashion (i guess? it's not quite emo style but people call it that, sort of like grunge that's not grunge). maybe it's just finding pockets of the internet where that & adjacent style is more popular over time, not an increase, but i've found more emo/scene/etc people over the years than i've expected. def don't think it's becoming obsolete though, just more distinct.

Report Reply

Reply by GL1TT3RC0RPS3

posted

Let's be honest.

When I think about emo stuffs, the first thing I can say is the word NOSTALGIA.
Emo/scene style is old, and I think that the new generation is killing it even more with the new fake emo style e-girl.
There's people who call themselves emo only cause they dress black and have a chain around their neck. All we can do is ignore them and remember OUR TRUE OLD TIMES! (✯ᴗ✯)

Report Reply

Reply by andrew covell

posted

check the title of the group it's been out honestly it's never really been in it had a high point in the early 2000's for sure but the point was and still is alt theres other alt styles that contend with emo but in that regards emo is still the most popular

Report Reply

Reply by Ace

posted

I feel like scene stuff is coming back but I'm not too sure about the emo community

Report Reply

Reply by Rekkz

posted

I dunno about that. I see a lot of the new generation bringing it back. It's just not as mainstream anymore like it used to be, but it's cool seeing teens digging the same stuff I do/did x3

Report Reply

Reply by MusicJosh

posted

It will never get old to me. I don’t want emo to ever go away

Report Reply

Reply by STRAWBERRYCYANIDE_

posted

i don't think they're necessarily obsolete, i just think that it's evolved into a few other forms. the whole "e-boy/girl" thing definitely took inspiration from it, and with the revival of pop punk, i think that kids of my generation took what laid out before us and added our own spin on it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Bella Secrets

posted

The style is old, however, I think the goth/emo/scene subcultures will never completely die - just transform into a new subculture(s), or have a total comeback someday. That's why we're all here, isn't it?

Personally, I've started to hear the crunkcore sound on the come up again with Hair Jordan's music. Not to mention, groups like Brokencyde and DotDotCurve are still making music after all these years and are still touring to this day (hoping for a comeback from the Millionaires, fingers crossed.). If the scene (haha) did make a full comeback soon, I wouldn't be surprised and would be excited to hear what the new crunkcore scene has to offer now that most (I hope) of the bad apples are out of the picture (I'm mostly talking about BOTDF and Jeffree Star.)

Also, is it just me or did the Millionaires deserve way more of a catalog than what they had? I wonder how popular they actually were outside of MySpace. (I'm a Gen Z gal, so I had barely any clue what MySpace was actually all about than just a popular online space.)   

Report Reply

Reply by xXJavaVampXx

posted

Tbh the trend got morphed or mutated into the "e-girl/e-boy" style kids use today. All they did was take bits of each subculture and made a new one. To me its kinda blah and boring, not as colorful or creative but I guess Gen Z kids needed something more acceptable in public to wear, unlike us OGs... Especially with all this "cancel culture" and "snowflake" energy suffocating the masses. I mean, I wanna be a good role model for younger gens, but yea idk what direction these new styles are heading exactly lolz. n_n"

Report Reply

Reply by Lucifer_666.xD

posted

I think the emo style we know is getting more and more mainstream so people can have the style but not be emo. It's so accepted that it isn't something boomers talk about anymore or something people stare at you for. Emo's are still there, these days we just blend in more.

Report Reply

Reply by Lucifer_666.xD

posted

I think the emo style we know is getting more and more mainstream so people can have the style but not be emo. It's so accepted that it isn't something boomers talk about anymore or something people stare at you for. Emo's are still there, these days we just blend in more.

Report Reply

While eboy/egirl fashion do seem to be the new wave of scene fashion. I do believe a lot of the former emos are getting back into it again. I went through a normie phase after HS and about last year I started getting back into it, considering its the rawring 20s, I'm sure the nostalgia will hit some, and people may began to revive that style again. It just won't be as big as it was then, the main big thing will probably be e-culture stuff. Yet next thing you know, there perhaps may be 40-50 sum yr old emos in the future, still emo just like how a lot of goths now are in their 30s-50s.

Report Reply

Reply by ....

posted

Honestly yes but in future i will try to get a modern style of the classic 00s emo not the new one that looks like more e boy/girl than a emo 

But old or not is generational this style life and the music genre will live forever 
and thats my opinion, it sucks to be a frustrated emo and not being able to live the mainstream era of the 2007-2012 scene

Thats my opinion

Report Reply

Reply by ShutUpGabe

posted

I feel like it gets bagged on, but it makes trends for sure, I've noticed people who have recently started phasing in that direction and haven't been interested at all with that style in a while, especially the goth style of it all.

Report Reply

Reply by nights :)

posted
updated

back in the late '90s and early '00s, nu-metal and mall goth started becoming things. back then, goths, or trad goths as we'd now call them, didn't exactly consider them "goths" in the same way they are. today, we consider all of them goth. 

something similar is happening right now with emo/scene. words change meaning over time. trends evolve and change our conceptions of fashion and music. you can think of 00s emo as "trad emo" to the 20s "nu emo", but both of them are "real emo". i'd say that eboys and egirls capture the spirit of the original "emo" pretty well but with contemporary and mall goth influences. remember: if emo can't evolve with the times, it dies completely.

Report Reply

Reply by AmandaRachelle

posted

everything comes back full circle. on tik tok there was an emo revival already along with the y2k aesthetic being popular again. 

Report Reply

Reply by BaseyTM

posted

it isnt old, its just rare! i think it makes it even better now that its difficult to find ppl with the same style as (for ex, myself or others) so it creates a talking point for friendship

Report Reply

Reply by Mignonne Nookington

posted

I think that the "scene" just sort of has a "bad rap" in terms of people still seeing it (mainly the big hair with colorful streaks, the colorful fashion, and music, etc) as being "cringey" rather than an expression of self. Because of it people nowadays are too scared to really go for it and dress the part even though the music & culture obviously live on - I mean, look at MCR who haven't put out new music in a while but are a top streamer on Spotify and whose merch is still selling at Hot Topic. 

Like some of you guys mentioned, it seems like Emo has become E-Girl / E-Boy now sort of like a Pokemon evolution. I miss the days when you would hear Paramore, Panic!, and Fall Out Boy on the radio, Warped was a thing and Invader Zim and Gir shirts littered Hot Topic. Those were fun times! 

But I'm also thinking they'll be a revival similar to the 2000's one we're having now in a few years once people begin "ironically" dressing Emo / Scene and dare to wear something a little more "out there" than the more "polished" E-Girl / E-Boy aesthetic allows.

Report Reply

Reply by rai

posted

Mignonne Nookington on the first part is right since "cringe" culture is making gen z more anxious about dressing scene/emo overall 

I'd say e-boys and e-girls aren't gonna do a full revival since they lean on gaming and fashion rather than the music itself 
Unless gen z gets confident enough to be rebellious i think a full revival will be in. 

Report Reply

Reply by Xxlizard06xX

posted

@BRAKE SKVLL

We totally should start saying that ("normie phase") at least within the group, especially considering how annoying it is when people think that Emo is somehow always a phase.

Me, myself, I think it is harder than it used to be to get Emo clothes but still possible, so not exactly obsolete.

Report Reply

Reply by Noel

posted

i dont think its obsolete but there's very few people with the "true" old emo style. like it used to be messy, diy, sometimes thrown together, dirty mirror pics, bad lighting, some tank top you stole from your little sister, foundation on your lips, and your moms hairspray from the 80s. 

Report Reply

Reply by Crash Test Dummy!1

posted

theyre making a comeback!

Report Reply

Reply by nico ♥

posted

it's pretty rare to find people who have stayed committed to it. most people who were emo when it was popular have either abandoned it completely or have a different "alt" style now. i'm an adult and have been emo for years, but haven't always dressed that way. honestly, the hairstyle is a pain even though i love how it looks, so rip. however, there are lots of kids and teens getting into it now, when for a while very few people were discovering that fashion for the first time. so like, the emo replacement rate is higher now xD. not everyone will stick with it, but it's always been an alternative thing. just like how many goths won't stay goth (tho many will.) 

Report Reply

Reply by uoɟ∀

posted

Like others i dont think its died its just evolved

As someone who goes to a few throwback club nights, and grew up while emo and scene was still kind of a 'big' thing but very much at the end of its hayday (think mcr just split up)  - amongst those of us who are kind of older than the e-kid thing we normally identify with another subculture but bring the emo style into that in some way.  Either that or its toned down emo and youll be covered in tattoos.

Report Reply

Reply by Jon Fatcokski

posted

Emo's hate black people.

Report Reply

Reply by MrsMoe

posted

Who says emo  has to be popular in order to be alive? Part of the appeal of alt styles is that they're an "alternative" to the mainstream, so who cares if normal people aren't invested in them anymore.

Report Reply

Reply by Chungle

posted

I'd say it's alive and well in the hyperpop scene and egirl aesthetic 

Report Reply

Reply by LiamtheOtaku

posted
updated

As a person neck deep into the anime subculture I notice that there is still a appreciation for emo and scene and other alt styles in that community that is greater than what you find in other communities probably because a lot of anime fans are ether nostalgic former emo's or were influenced by the style due to the large cross over that emo had with anime back in the day (you can still see this cross over in some parts of the furry community) not to mention that anime music still has strong pop punk and emo influences which can draw in new fans who were already into that kind of music through anime

Report Reply

Reply by Gayonetta⚡️

posted

I have a lot of my stuff from 2006 a lot most of my accessories but I grew taller since then but everything that’s still good I kept since the emo extinction there was a small pocket of us uk emos still left but currently I’m the only one that still goes out in my village hope that changes soon ! Pretty much apart from my accent colours Changing to more pinks purples and greens I still look the same but I’m always getting new things to ware but I p I’d love to meet a nice emo guy and wear his cloths lol xd ha ha !

Report Reply

Reply by Emo_Screamo

posted

Emo is not getting old. I’m Emo and obviously there are many other emos as well so it’s not dead. The Eboy And Egirl thing is nothing more than a poser group. The E people will never replace Emo🖤  

Report Reply

Reply by Emo_Screamo

posted

Emo is not getting old. I’m Emo and obviously there are many other emos as well so it’s not dead. The Eboy And Egirl thing is nothing more than a poser group. The E people will never replace Emo🖤  

Report Reply

Reply by ☆Gᒪ00ᗰI☆

posted

being emo isn't about following trends.. it's about being/expressing yourself and listening to emo music. it's not about whether it is "dead." as far as i care, I've been dead since i was born lol so uhh yeah xD

some bands to figure yourself out are:
sunny day real estate
rites or spring
mineral
cap'n jazz
cut the act

if you can relate with these bands and feel the lyrics.. you're emo, my friend T _T

Report Reply

Reply by Hazi

posted

If it is emo from 2000's "scene" era, then yes - it is obsolete. 

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

Emo will never die. Emo is forever. <3

Report Reply

Reply by xXkf100Xx

posted

not really some people are saying its getting old like my grandpas computer

Report Reply

Reply by Cervidae

posted

emo has never really died! i think it's steadily evolving. rn u have two main subcultures: egirl/boy/people and the....whatever most of the basic white girls on tiktok are.

obv goth is still huge, and emo kinda evolved into grunge/e-people culture.

Report Reply

Reply by JESSIKA🧟‍♀️

posted

well im not sure about emo but scene is coming back!

Report Reply

Reply by Gorixology

posted

Its hard to tell based on the stuff on TikTok. Like compare the old days to now its going to be a little bit of challenge because there is some mixture of egirl/boy still occuring

Report Reply

Reply by Saw

posted

i feel like people still listen to te music and keep up emo meme culture but don't dress og circa 2007-2012 emo anymore but scene is being revived

Report Reply

Reply by WetSock

posted

They went out of style for a long time but even when people said they trend of being emo again more recently was gone, I see TONS of alternative people at the mall I work at. Maybe it's because of where I live, but scene/emo fashion is alive and well here lol

Report Reply

Reply by A Bulletproof Monkey on Acid

posted

As someone who is almost 30 and still wears emo, it is pretty rare to see someone wearing it though. It wasn't a phase mom, it's who I am.

Report Reply

Reply by kanedog

posted

I barely see Emo/Scene people anymore, so maybe? idk

Report Reply

Reply by xX_N1ghtm4r3_P01s0n_Xx

posted

Any historical fashion isn't obsolete because there's gonna be people who are into it (yes, Emo is sadly now considered historical :') ). However, it's just a case of finding the designated communities. I'm part of a Discord server for Emo and Scene kids and it's honestly a lot of fun!

Report Reply

Reply by xXmcRmyXx

posted

This question is like 2 yrs old but ima reply anyway :p

Ive actually recently been hearing abt an emo revival and im DEF seeing it. more scene/emo media popping up on media like youtube, tiktok, instagram and stuff like that. Not to mention the emo kids ive seen at malls lately?? like TRADITIONAL emo, side parts n everything. so i dont think emo ever died, but now its getting even stronger!! soon enough it'll be 2006 all over again.

Report Reply

Reply by XxTrin_TraumaticxX

posted

Not on my watch it isnt

Report Reply

Reply by xX_N1ghtm4r3_P01s0n_Xx

posted

If there's one thing I know about history, it's this; nothing ever fully goes "out of fashion". The Victorians had a hard on for the Medieval period, and this shows in EVERYTHING. Architecture, fashion, paintings, literature, plays, music. Seriously, go look up anything from the 1800s and keep a tally of how many draw on Medieval times, whether that be Vikings/Celtic mythology or similar, fairytales, the Tudor era etc.

There's ALWAYS gonna be a crowd for Emo people. The difference is that it's not longer mainstream.

Report Reply

Reply by James

posted

Never! They're making a comeback. Here's me in 2004.

IMG_1286

IMG_1287

Report Reply