« Back to the cassette cult Forum

introductions !

here's a forum to introduce yourselves. only include information you're comfy with, no pressure :D

my introduction:
i'm charlie, i use he/him pronouns, and i'm from scotland. i've been making/collecting cassettes since late 2020. my music taste and age are on my profile if you're interested in learning more. i'm excited to meet more folks who like collecting music <3

Report Topic

13 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Talon Godin

posted
updated

Hey everyone! I'm Talon (he/him/his) from Pennsylvania. I have a small tape collection from bands I support on Bandcamp, and I wanted to get a tape player so I could properly listen to them. So one day I picked up a Technics deck at a thrift store, cleaned it up, and now I'm getting really into tapes in general! I just love the tactile feeling of putting them into the player and pressing play. I've already made a couple of REAL mix tapes which I plan on gifting to friends. 

I'm still fairly new to tapes but I get the appeal of them. Any tips/tricks for maintaining and recording are appreciated!

Report Reply

Reply by Nikita

posted

Hello! I'm Nikita (Nick for short), and I live in California.

I've been mostly collecting tapes to rip and post online, but I love magnetic media of all kinds so I'll never say no if you offer me a tape. I've mostly been making digital mixtapes instead of actual mixtapes, but I'm working on overcoming the fear that my boombox may not actually work.

Most of mine are pretty old, so any tips on how to keep them alive for longer would be really helpful!

Report Reply

Reply by elena

posted

hi! im owen ( they/she ), im from northern ontario  and im fairly new to cassettes :) i recently got a fostex x18 4 track recorder and have been having a lot of fun making music with it, especially after a year of stuck recording in a DAW. my collection of albums on cassette are pretty small but im hoping to get more soon! 

Report Reply

Reply by Aiv ❧

posted

hi ! i'm aiv !! (she/her)

i've always really loved physical mediums when it comes to music -- i've been incorporating tape and VHS recording into my own music production setup lately && i'm really hoping to put some music out on cassette sometime in the near future ^_^

it's nice to meet you all!

Report Reply

Reply by DJ_James_Naughty

posted

Hi! I'm James (he/him) from the UK.

I make DIY electronic music and love using cassette and reel to reel tape to alter sounds. I have a modest collection of slightly broken tape machines and an even more modest collection of pre-recorded tapes - just 5 or so by some of my favourite musicians. The bigger part of my collection is a bunch of random old home-recorded tapes friends and family have given me. I think it's a great format and it's really nice to see the recent gain in popularity.

Report Reply

Reply by deadoat

posted

hi im oat (he/him)

i love tapes, just started my collection from a few artists on bandcamp, excited to collect more and get recs from you guys

Report Reply

Reply by deadoat

posted

hi im oat (he/him)

i love tapes, just started my collection from a few artists on bandcamp, excited to collect more and get recs from you guys

Report Reply

Reply by ДДДДД

posted

I'm Jon and dealing with tapes has ruined my life. I joined this group to scare people and stuff like that, don't mind me.

Report Reply

Reply by meryl

posted

hey im dee! i started passively collecting around 2 years ago when someone was selling tons of cassettes at a flea market and ever since then ive been amazed with them! i own 21 cassettes right now and 2 cassette players! feel free 2 reach out :)

Report Reply

Reply by enfys

posted

hey !! i'm enfys (en-viss), any prns. i don't currently have any cassettes, but i collect cds and almost exclusively listen to music in that format. my cd player can also play cassettes (and it's a radio - she's multitalented) so i've recently become interested in adding some cassettes to my collection as well !

Report Reply

Reply by 4iamaraindog2

posted

Hi! I started collecting tapes when I found a bunch of my parents’ in the garage. I use a Sony mini Hi-Fi system from 2000 to play them.  

Report Reply

Reply by Perdita the Non-humanoid

posted

Hi, I'm Perdita. I use she/they pronouns (use whatever you want idc).

I love using physical mediums such as VHS, Cassettes, CDs, etc. They always bring back such a nostalgia to me. <3

Report Reply

Reply by Fumez_Music

posted

I’m probably super late to the party! But it is what it is, here goes 

I’m Ryan or Fumez (pronounced fumes)

I’ve been a physical media guy all my life, including vinyl’s & Minidiscs, I also use open reel to record a lot of my demo’s and back my music up on to! 

I even released my 2023 album on Cassette & Vinyl 

Report Reply