« Back to the BookTok Forum

Children's Books

Posted by Erika

posted

Forum: BookTok Group

Have some littles in your life that could do with some new reading material? This is the place to find some new books for them! Or hey, even for yourself. After all, Harry Potter IS a children's series. These books range in age from just learning how to read, to about middle school age. 

When recommending or asking for recommendations, please keep the age of the reader in mind.

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by Erika

posted

The 'Wolves of the Beyond' series by Kathryn Lasky

This 6 book series is probably late elementary/middle school level. This entire series is part of the Owls of Ga'Hoole world, and is a companion series many years after the Ga'Hoole series. I still love it. It follows the story of Folan, a wolf pup who is raised by a grizzly bear.

I say it's more middle school level because it covers topics such as parental death, adoption, classism, racism (actual animal races), and some other heavy handed topics that are beautifully woven into the story. It doesn't sound like it talks about those issues, but it really does. It also has many main characters who are differently-abled- some have one eye, some have twisted legs, etc.

I read it for the first time in middle school, and as a 24 year old, it's still one of my favorite children's series. 

Report Reply