« Back to the Oh, The Horror! Forum

what's your favorite scary story?

Thunder crackles outside your window. You sit in the darkest corner of the room. It's the perfect environment to read your favorite scary story. Which one is it? What is it about?

Report Topic

33 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Jon

posted

A legend I like a lot is the story of El Silbón or The Whistler as he would be called in English.

Stolen from Wikipedia because my memory was a bit spotty on the story but,

"El Silbón (The whistler) is a legendary figure in Venezuela, associated especially with Los Llanos region, usually described as a lost soul. The legend arose in the middle of the 19th century.

The story always starts with a son killing his father. One version states that this son returning home one day found his father abusing his beautiful young wife. This so angered him he killed his father.

Another more disconcerting version states this son was a “spoiled brat” whose every wish was catered to by his parents. One afternoon he demands his father hunt for a deer--his favorite meat. But when the father does not find a deer and returns empty-handed, his son kills him and cuts out his heart and liver. He then has his mother cook them for dinner.

The mother finding this meat is tough starts to suspect something is amiss. She discovers these organs are her own husband’s innards and curses her son for eternity. Afterwards, his grandfather ordered the youth to be tied to a post in the middle of the countryside, and lashed him until his back was destroyed. His wounds were then cleaned with alcohol and he was released with two rabid, starving dogs set upon him. Before releasing him, his grandfather condemned him to carry the bones of his father for all eternity.

It has a characteristic whistle that resembles the musical notes C, D, E, F, G, A, B in that order. Rising in tone to F, then lowering to B. It is said that when the whistling sounds close, there's no danger, and the whistler is far away, but when the whistling sounds distant, it means it is nearby. It is also said that hearing the whistling foretells one's own death, and one may hear it anywhere at any time. In this situation, the only thing that can save the victim is the sound of a dog barking (as it is the only thing it is afraid of), a chili, or a whip. The spirit tends to take revenge on womanisers."

I just really enjoy hearing about other cultures ghost stories and urban legends they are always very interesting to me.

Report Reply

Reply by Monster Zero

posted

The story of cowhead has always been a favourite of mine. A story about a story. It's said to be so terrifying that it causes the person telling the story along with the people listening to it to convulse and pass out. We don't know much about what the story supposedly is, but apparently it's about a man with a cow's head who walked into an old village during a great famine. The entire village proceeds to eat him alive. There's not really any more details to this story, but I always found it interesting and the name to be unnerving.

Report Reply

Reply by Corpse Bride

posted

There was this one story I heard back in middle school, this takes place back in the 1950's.

This girl had a crush on a boy in her class and finally the courage to ask him out to this dance, well he said yes and she was very excited. So excited she had everything ready for the dance that coming weekend , well when she went to go get her hair done a couple of days before the dance the hair stylist had put sugar water in her hair to keep it up and tight. As the night before the dance she started having painful headaches in class but decided to stay in class instead of going to the infirmary as class went on it only got worse. Got so worse she fainted in class well when the teacher went to go check on her she was mortified on what she saw. She saw many bugs eating her scalp and had gotten to her brain since she had sugar water on her head was the reason why the bugs we're so attracted to her very sweet and delicious head. Poor girl didn't make it to the dance since she was pronounced dead when she got to the Hospital.

Report Reply

Reply by Rooster

posted

My favorite scary story inspired a song that scared me as a young child. It's called the hamburger lady and it is about a woman who got into such a terrible car crash her body was severely burned and made her skin the texture of hamburger meat. She had been burned into a vegetative state and basically only her digestive tract works. She has tubes sticking in and out of her. All the doctors and technicians that have to work with her are horrified and become ill. Slowly more and more refuse to work with her. Finally one of the last technicians working on her sees a nurse eating chili mac and he vomits because it reminds him of the hamburger lady's scorched flesh.

Report Reply

Reply by Xxsandpit_skyexX

posted

I actually just got done listening the audio book of The Summer I died about two friends who go out into the woods to shoot some targets when they hear a womans scream and follow it. Its super gory and kept me on the edge of my seat

Report Reply

Reply by Hatch

posted

Anansi's goatman story! Its a fucking classic

Report Reply

Reply by Mayasr

posted

→My favorite is The Husband Stitch by Carmen Maria Machado from her collection  Her Body and Other Parties. Basically, it's about the horrors of being a woman in a world that ignores the pleas, and often times, makes us doubt our own sanity. 10/10 stars ✰!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by McKinsey

posted

the pancake family from r/nosleep on reddit .... my god 

Report Reply

Reply by Thaddeus Erroneous Heglin

posted

you should check out the shit i write its totally spooky.

Report Reply

Reply by Giacomo Weaver

posted

Query here is about the designation of favorite scary stories of a person in the personified kind of the tasks. These are the thunder cracks that are outside the window in the essay help australia with the forum topic that is designated as horror in the responsible one.

Report Reply

Reply by eggboy_exe

posted

im super into analog horror and recently my favorite has been the Mandela Catalog, if that counts lol

Report Reply

Reply by it's chloe duh

posted

okay so this one, is actually real. 

I remember i used to drive up to my cousins house for the holidays, and while talking to them  they told me this scary story about a woman, who lived three streets away, who had murdered her boyfriend, skinned him and fed him to her dogs etc and that the house was painted inside with blood. Creepy shit at the time, almost became a vegetarian, but I just thought they were trying to freak me out. 

Anyhow, recently - confirmed not to be an urban legend, but rather macabre gossip about a murder that happened in 2000. Katherine Knight stabbed her boyfriend 37 times, skinned him like cattle in her bathroom, decapitated him, prepared his organs as a meal to their children. so shit. 

Report Reply

Reply by Kawaiiwannabegirl

posted

I heard this one! the mother was calling 911 saying the husband was killing there kid very brutaly like sawing off his arms and hitting him on the head with a bat on his head. and hitting his head on the table. then the dad pics up the phone and starts to say the wife was doing it all. so the both got arrested then the dad said this happend with her ex-husband. and she never got got him back. and she fell mentaly ill. and he said he left her home alone with someone to take care of her

they found out the mom killed the women. then she killed her son.  

Report Reply

Reply by tiegan

posted

god the 'humans lick too' one has had a chokehold on me since i was little. embarrassingly i still think about it every so often.

girls parents are out of town, she feeds herself, her dog, and then goes to bed. theres a storm outside so she puts her hand out of the covers for her dog to lick as he does every night. eventually she wakes up to a dripping noise but is too frightened to investigate, so she sticks her hand back out and is licked back to sleep. she keeps waking up to this dripping over and over until morning arrives and she is brave enough to go check. she walks to the bathroom, the source of the dripping noise, and finds her dog hanging there. he is skinned and bleeding, causing the dripping. absolutely freaked out she runs to her bedroom to call her parents where there's a note,"humans can lick too", written on her bedside table. 
that was a shitty rendition of an otherwise terrifying story but it still freaks me out.

Report Reply

Reply by lee

posted

I honestly love all of them, but as an NJ resident, I definitely have the Jersey Devils story somewhere in my favorites. 

Report Reply

Reply by ayeshuckmytoes

posted

I came across this story while i was in texas a while back, ill try to restate it the best i can because now when i look for it i cant find anything on it, whats even worse is i dont remember the name... anyways-

There is a man who lives in a cabin in the woods all by himself. One night he awoke from his sleep and realized there was someone at his window, when he walked over to the window there was this non human creature who was smiling at him. The next night the man awoke again, and like the previous night the creature was there again, only this time he had a frown on his face, the man being sort of disgusted closed the curtains. The next night out of curiosity the man had gotten up and went over to the window. When he opened the curtains the creature was still there, but he was angry. The man came to a shocking realization that the creature was never outside, the reflection was coming from inside the house...

im not entirely sure if this was 100% correct but the story scarred me because of the way i pictured the creature....

Report Reply

Reply by P1P3B0MBKiD

posted

the whole tails doll thing scared the shit out of me when i was a kid LOL. My friends and I did the whole stupid ritual thing in the mirror, and we really thought that tails would jump out of the playstation and kill us... man, were we dumb.

Report Reply

Reply by 🗡Max🗡

posted

It’s a story from Reddit by u/SweetMercy Called Dr. Ramsey. The first time I heard this story it did scary me a bit, and most horror stories don’t give out “jump scares” but this one certainly. 

Report Reply

Reply by Alec (He/it/rot)

posted

I really really like "Me Tie Dough-ty Walker" and "My Brother died when I was a child and He kept talking", though its been a while sense I've heard them so they may not be as good as I remember, but they have both stuck with me for years now.

Report Reply

Reply by _AaSt3RixxX_

posted

THIIIISSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCV51wUn72Y&t=2013s&ab_channel=RelatosdelaNoche

Report Reply

Reply by ian the lamest guy ever

posted

the story about the women with the string around her neck, its a simple story thats in kids horror books but its always been my favorite. 

Report Reply

Reply by ciddie0

posted

although i really like creepypastas like pale luna and candle cove my favorite would probbably be hachishakusama (8 feet tall)

i heard abt the story on the channel snarled if you want it (sapphire is a really good narrator :DD) but the general gist of it was that there was this pale woman in a white dress that was 8 feet tall that would abduct children and you'd hear a certain sound when she was near

Report Reply

Reply by legenda

posted

polish demon encounters! there's something chilling about reading stories about creatures whose origins are in your own country and that people have been talking about for centuries. even though each year i grow to be more of a skeptic they still get me.

zmora (or mare in english) is my personal favourite 

Report Reply

Reply by Luna

posted

Legend or truth I really have no idea but we grew up hearing the story of THE WEEPING WOMAN or LA LLORONA as we know her. Tells the story about a beautiful woman who had two kids. Now I have heard it two different ways. 

#1 She was very in love with her husband and was jealous of the love and attention he gave the children so she decided to drown them. She waited till he was away and drowned her children in the river at night. when he found out he was heart broken and left her. She realised what she had done but by that time it was too late. Story says she was destined to cry for her children even after death.

#2 In this version it is said that her husband cheats on her and as revenge she drowns her children. When she realizes what she has done it is too late.

Regardless of the version we were given this is what my parents used to scare us into being well behaved or if not The LLorona would come for us! lol

Report Reply

Reply by pseudoScribe

posted

I was always a fan of creepypasta in middle school and although the stories themselves are pretty cliche, they still hold a dear place in my heart. The one that I think scared/intrigued me the most was Ben Drowned since I've always been a big fan of the Zelda franchise.

If we're talking stories that aren't creepypasta, I definitely got the spooks in 5th grade from the "hook-handed man clawing onto your car door at night" story (sorry I don't know the exact title). That's a classic.

Report Reply

Reply by ⚝Rain⚝

posted

The Demon Dog of Valle Crucis, North Carolina story from the mountains 

The story starts off so simple. a tale of what lurks in the shadows. Two men in a van driving down the road at night as they enjoy each others company, It just puts the reader at ease until them van passes an abandoned church, as the Church is in the rear view mirrors this dog steps out onto the road, its fur so dark it looks like it swallows the light hole. 

There's more details I don't wish to spoil! highly recommend checking it out. 

As a kid this scared me so much also because I was afraid to look into mirrors because of Chucky and Bloody marry. 

:D

Report Reply

Reply by Edgar

posted

The one the teachers told us, that she called WW2

Report Reply

Reply by Lexi

posted

I like the story where there was a girl that went blind because of a white string that she cut from her ear. Every time I hear it the story gives me chills. One time a piece of my hair was stuck in my ear and I thought it was the white string. I got so scared til I asked one of my friends what it was and they said it was my hair..

Report Reply

Reply by James

posted

I used to love reading Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. That book creeped me out as a preteen.

Report Reply

Reply by Arcadia

posted

All Creepypastas

Report Reply

Reply by cutie <3

posted

i was actually thinking abt this today but probably the one called "My Father Punished Me When I Talked to Ghosts" 

really creepy, the first story to really give me chills while listening, and i first heard it when i was watching an old creepydrawsta video from the youtuber LavenderTowne 

Report Reply

Reply by Marky Crash!

posted

"The Cedar Cove Incident"

The rumours, speculation and conspiracy theories surrounding the so-called Cedar Cove Incident of August 2009 are so varied, so wildly divergent and contradictory that one despairs of ever uncovering the truth of what happened. I have undertaken here to lay down and weave into a coherent whole only the established, verifiable facts, and let the reader draw his or her own conclusions. I will be the first to point out the many seemingly irrational choices made by the people involved, and the narrative gaps left where we cannot say with certainty how events unfolded. To these I say, we must wait for further information, but until that happens: Caveat lector. I’m sure even the most skeptical reader will agree that the following is the most parsimonious telling that accounts for all the known facts.

At some point between the 11th and the 14th of August, 2009, the power grid in Cedar Cove failed, and all contact between the hamlet and the outside world was lost. The exact cause of this failure has yet to be determined, but the power grid in that area is notoriously unreliable when compared to the national average. In addition to the power failure, the days preceding the incident were marked by another thus far unexplained phenomenon: a thick, tenacious mist enveloping the town. According to interviews of West Virginia residents and meteorological data, Cedar Cove was normally a relatively sunny town with a brisk noonday breeze that should have swept the area clear of any mist. The middle of August, however, was characterized by unseasonably cold, overcast days, with a slow but persistent southwesterly wind.

The power failure could not have occurred before the 11th, if one Alicia Wilson of neighboring Point Pleasant is to be believed. As far as anyone knows, she was the first person outside Cedar Cove to notice anything amiss, because on that day she says she couldn’t reach her sister, whom she called every friday. She phoned the sheriff’s office to complain to her husband, sheriff Graham Wilson, who then tried to contact the Cedar Cove Arms, an establishment that in such a small community often doubled as the de facto town hall. When even they could not be reached, the sheriff decided to investigate the situation himself. Nobody thought much of the town’s silence at first, so he only brought one deputy with him. It had been a slow night in Point Pleasant, and deputy Andretti would later tell investigators that the sheriff himself admitted before departing that he was only making the trip to break the tedium, and anticipating his wife fretting over her sister later that night.

Upon arriving at Cedar Cove, Sheriff Wilson called in according to protocol, saying that he and deputy Foreman were heading for the guesthouse. They reported that as expected, the streetlights were out and all the windows dark. Since the sky was overcast that night, the streets were already dark and they didn’t think it unusual to find the town quiet and the streets empty. By the time they reached the guesthouse, however, they had yet to spot a single citizen in Cedar Cove. They would’ve expected to notice at least one flashlight in a window, one dog barking to announce unexpected visitors.

Some minutes later, deputy Foreman called in to report that the Cedar Cove Arms was empty, cash register and manager’s office closed and locked. The building had an emergency generator in the basement in case of a blackout, but it wasn’t running. The two visited several of the houses around the guesthouse, but all doors were locked and nobody came to answer their calls. When a fifteen minute search of nearby houses failed to uncover any of the locals, they used the loudspeaker mounted on the patrol car to request that anybody within hearing range show themselves or give some indication as to their location, but again, no reply. With deputy Foreman as witness, sheriff Wilson decided that the situation in Cedar Cove appeared to be an emergency and  assumed authority to forcibly enter one of the apartments without a written warrant.

Since they didn’t have a battering ram in the patrol car, deputy Foreman was forced to shoot out the front door lock after several verbal warnings to stand clear of the door. The gunshots provoked no response from the residents, and the two proceeded with a systematic search of the house, where deputy Foreman reported spotting someone – or something – in the basement. He cried out in alarm and backed away, ushering sheriff Wilson up the steps and out of the house. Foreman screamed at Wilson to enter the patrol car and drive away from the city as fast as possible, claiming that some unknown disease had overtaken whoever or whatever he had seen in the basement; he was uncommitted as to whether it was a man or some animal. According to Wilson, Foreman appeared to be hysterical and in at least a mild state of shock When Wilson suggested that Foreman remain in the car while he had another look in the basement, Foreman screamed at him to remain and to stay away from the basement, saying that the ‘the thing’ was possibly contagious and definitely dangerous. Since Foreman would not be calmed, and the situation in Cedar Cove was obviously more than two men could deal with, sheriff Wilson decided to return to the Point Pleasant sheriff’s station.

Upon returning, sheriff Wilson didn’t see fit to contact federal authorities before making sure just what it was that deputy Foreman had seen. The following is a transcription of his interview, recorded by consent:

Wilson: ‘All right, son, just take it slowly, from the beginning. You entered the basement, searching the area with your flashlight…?’

Foreman: ‘[shuddering sound] It was in the corner, behind the boiler tank. It was looking at me.”

W: ‘What was it? What was looking at you?’

F: ‘It was a monster. I said before that it might’ve been an animal, but I – [chokes off, sobs]‘

W: ‘Take your time. Just relax… You said it might’ve been an animal, but?’

F: ‘… but now I think about it, I only said that because I didn’t want to think a man could look like that! Oh jesus, the look on it’s face – [sobs] and the mouth!’

W: ‘So you spotted a man behind the boiler, and he saw you. You said he had some kind of disease? Why did you think that?’

F: ‘It wasn’t normal! The look in it’s eyes,  they were staring at me the second I turned the light to it, no, before that! It couldn’t have seen me in the dark, with that light shining right at it, but it was already staring at me when I saw it! [whispers hoarsely] And it’s face!’

W: ‘What about his face? Was there something unusual about it? Some markings?’

F:’ [inaudible]

W: ‘What’s that? Speak up, son..’

F: ‘[whispering] It was upside down.’

W: ‘His face was upside down?’

F: ‘[still whispering] It was all there, eyes, nose, mouth and everything, but it was wrong. The eyes caught me first, but above those… the mouth. It was grinning, so wide it was impossible, and it was upside down! The mouth was streched so wide you could see every fucking tooth in its mouth, [crying now] and I swear it was grinning at me, like it knew we were coming and it was just WAITING for us, and it -’

W: ‘Calm down, calm down! Easy. Just take a deep breath.’

F: ‘[whispers again] Not human. Not an animal but not human either.

W: [starts to speak but is interrupted]

F: ‘I figured something got to the people there, something that changed them – like you see in the movies, right? It used to be human, but now it’s something less, something wrong, and I bet the same thing happened to the whole town, that’s why it was so quiet! I know it sounds crazy but you didn’t see it, didn’t see those eyes, the way it looked at me, the way it was-’

W: ‘All right, son, that’s enough. It’s okay now, we don’t have to talk about this anymore-’

[Recording ends]

How a copy of the recording came to be found is disputed, but its provenance is beyond question: relatives of both Wilson and Foreman have confirmed that the voices heard on the tape are indeed theirs.

Sheriff Wilson contacted the governor’s office, reporting that some, if not most of the people in Cedar Cove had disappeared, and mentioned the possibility of an unknown infection. Mayor Green  wasn’t known to be a man of half measures and so, later that night, sheriff Wilson, accompanied by deputies Coolidge, Stuart and King, rendezvoused with CDC staff at a point some five miles outside Cedar Cove. The plan was to conduct another search of the apartment visited earlier by Wilson and Foreman in order to determine the condition of its inhabitants. The leading CDC investigator, doctor Hartman, would then determine if a quarantine needed to be instituted, in which case more CDC men would be brought in, aided by the national guard if necessary. In the interests of medical history and proper analysis, doctor Hartman suggested that the investigation be videotaped; his recording from
that night is the single most important document pertaining to this incident. Transcript follows:

The recording begins at the outskirts of town, as the team is just entering Cedar Cove proper. The viewpoint is from the front passenger seat of the CDC van, and one of the patrol cars can be seen leading the convoy, its emergency lights flashing. The town is completely silent, as before. The door to the apartment is ajar, as Wilson left it, suggesting that whoever deputy Foreman claims to have seen in the basement hadn’t ventured out from his hiding place. Research assistant Walker was the first to enter, followed by Hartman, who was still holding the camera. The recording shows Walker descending the basement stairs, calling out to the inhabitant to show himself.

Walker stops at the foot of the stairs and points his flashlight at some point not visible from the top of the stairs. His voice is too low to be intelligible, but he appears to have spotted the inhabitant encountered earlier and is coaxing him to come out. Wilson crouches slightly, extending his hand in invitation, then gasps and freezes. Panicking, he drops his flashlight, sending it rolling around the floor. The scene is momentarily cast into darkness while the rolling flashlight points away from Walker, but the muffled screams of at least two men can be heard on the recording. Doctor Hartman tries to back up the stairs, camera wavering but still pointing towards the basement, when the flashlight completes its circuit and casts its light on the scene below.

In the meager second captured on film, we see what appears to be a naked man attacking Walker. Both the attacker and Walker are covered in blood, and the latter is lying on his back and screaming, bleeding badly, trying to push off his assailant. At this point, doctor Hartman panics and turns around, jostling the others behind him in his haste to escape the apartment. Hartman is the last one out of the door, and he slams it shut, apparently not noticing that it won’t stay completely closed, the locking mechanism having been shot out. The camera, strapped to his hand but apparently forgotten for now, is still recording as he argues with the others, bobbing and jumping
crazily as he gesticulates with his arms to lend weight to his words. Sheriff Wilson is furious, demanding to know what is happening inside and trying to get past Hartman, while shrieks and thumps can still be heard from inside the apartment. Hartman seems to have collected himself somewhat and is arguing forcefully for sealing off the house, and indeed the whole town, whose inhabitants have apparently contracted something similar to rabies. The sheriff is indignant, pointing out that even laymen know rabies isn’t an airborne disease, but Hartman, backed up by his assistants, remains adamant, citing his superior authority. Wilson threatens to shoot Hartman if he won’t let him by, but their argument is interrupted by deputy King’s scream.
Hartman reflexively whips up the camera in the direction the he is pointing.

The town is stirring. The floodlights mounted on the CDC van reveal doors opening silently all down the street from the guesthouse. The inhabitants of Cedar Cove are slowly coming out, approaching the outsiders. Their shape is immediately recognizable as human, but their bodies are contorted hideously, spines arching backwards until their heads are almost level with the ground. They pad noiselessly on all fours, with elbows leading, their shoulders bent at an impossible angle. Each one is naked, and stark bruising can be seen where the joints must have snapped to allow the unnatural posture. Hartman pans the camera to capture every door, and from each one the inhabitants are pouring out in a silent stream, hovering at the edge of the light. Each face carries the same perverse, upside down grin, and all eyes, wide open, stare unblinking at the men.

Deputy King can be seen in front of Hartman and to the left, shouting and discharging his sidearm at the inhabitants directly across the street. One of them twitches and flops down, briefly resembling a man lying spread eagled on his back, then curls his limbs close to his torso– back in their natural direction – to make a horrible mockery of a dead cockroach lying on its back. At no point does the grin falter or the eyes blink. The other inhabitants seem somehow emboldened by this move, as they no longer circle the lit area like sharks but begin to slowly advance, moving jerkily, a few quick steps at a time. Hartman shouts at everyone to get to the van as quickly as possible,
and they all break into a mad dash for safety. As Hartman’s voice rings out, the inhabitants charge en masse, loosing screams that still sound very human as they bound and leap towards the men.

Someone screams outside the camera’s view, but Hartman never slows down, never turns his course or the camera away from the van. King is the first one to reach the doors, and he can be seen whipping open the sliding door before opening the front passenger side door for himself. Hartman climbs into the back, panting and videotaping the others as they pile inside. Deputy Coolidge manhandles a bleeding Wilson inside before joining them and slamming the door shut. Just then, the view
jerks around wildly and settles into a sideways position on the floor, but the men can be seen holding on, trying to remain seated, as King jerks the van around to escape the city. The screaming of the wheels can just barely be discerned under the screaming and thuds ringing through the van before they are clear of the herd, accelerating away from the Cedar Cove Arms.

[recording ends]

The recording appeared on the internet at some point in September 2009, and was circulated on a handful of websites for some time thereafter. If it is authentic, one can be certain that federal authorities would want to keep it a secret from the public, and the video was leaked by one of a presumably limited number of people with proper clearance to view it. Be that as it may, the video was largely dismissed by those who have seen it as a hoax, being either a publicity stunt by some group of CGI-artists, a trailer for a horror movie yet to appear, or part of a so called Alternate Reality Game (ARG).

Beyond this, the rumours and reports are so divergent, and of such questionable authenticity, that I balk at venturing any further. In any case, the version of events presented here – which I know to be credible, having personally verified all source material used – describes a matter I’d just as soon forget. To anyone willing to sift through the mounds of unverifiable anecdotes and paranoid rants, the practical jokes and blatant lies, the unbelievable reports and delirious eyewitness accounts, I wish you the best of luck… you’re a braver man than I. As a final item of interest, I’ve transcribed a newspaper article that arrived in my mailbox earlier this week, from an unknown sender.

West Virginia Observer, October 21st, 2009
Mysterious disease sweeps over local town

Inhabitants of Mason County were shocked early this autumn when the National Guard, at the behest of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) cordoned off the sleepy town of Cedar Cove, barring the towns few regular visitors and casual tourists entry. The real shock, however, arrived scant weeks later, when a convoy of dozens of trucks rumbled its way out of West Virginia, and federal emergency workers razed the whole town.

According to the official CDC statement, the entire population of Cedar Cove (317 people according to a census taken in January, 2009) had been exposed to a mutant strain of the West Nile virus. Emergency workers were too late to save all of those afflicted by the highly contagious, rapidly progressing disease, but they were, thankfully, succesful in containing the outbreak. Doctor Steinberg, who issued the statement, commented that we might take some cold comfort from the fact that this disease essentially annihilated itself, killing most of its carriers too quickly to spread effectively. However, torching the town was seen as a necessary precaution, as the mutant virus might have remained dormant in porous surfaces exposed to infected bodily fluids. The surviving inhabitants were transported to an undisclosed location to be properly quarantined.

Authorities stonewall investigation

Cedar Cove was a small town by any measure, and was known to have little business with outsiders. Indeed, the outside world only noticed that something was amiss when one Alicia Wilson, widow of late sheriff Graham Wilson of Pine Falls, couldn’t reach her sister by telephone. Federal authorities have been reluctant to share details of the investigation, but since Alicia Wilson had weekly telephone conversations with her sister – ‘Every monday and friday, no exceptions, for seven years’ – we may surmise that the power grid in Cedar Cove might have been down for almost four days. Incidentally, the cause of the power failure that blacked out the entire town has also yet to be disclosed.

Why are the authorities so silent about the details? And why were the families of Sheriff Wilson and research assistants Walker and Hoynbridge only notified of their deaths after the town was put to the torch? As some of our readers may recall, Walker and Hoynbridge reportedly died of  ‘a previously undiagnosed heart condition, aggravated by exposure to the virus.’ As for sheriff Wilson, he was said to have contracted the infection – something that all the surviving members failed to do – and died en route to the quarantine facility. His body was never released to his family. Observer investigators searched out some of those involved in the incident at its beginnings, before federal authorities became involved. Deputy Coolidge, who has since taken an early retirement, has been silent, saying that the official story is all there is to it as far as he is concerned. Deputy King was found dead in his home in August the 18th of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Doctor Hartman and the other surviving members of the initial CDC taskforce have since been reassigned and could not be reached by the Observer. All documents pertaining to the incident have been either ‘misplaced’, or simply held back from the public in the interests of ‘national security’, citing laws enacted by the previous administration.

Tragic neighbors

Cedar Cove was not far removed from Ichor Falls in the southwest, a city of some 8000 inhabitants. Ichor Falls has had a troubled past, and according to Alicia Wilson, most Cedar Cove residents were happy to keep their distance from the city, preferring to find employment and recreation in nearby Huntington, Point Pleasant and St. Albans. By not getting personally involved with the city, it was thought, Cedar Cove might avoid the ill fortune that has stricken Ichor Falls time and time again. Until last spring, this attitude seemed to have served them well, but it was nevertheless insufficient to shield them from this final disaster. How the people of Cedar Cove came to be exposed to a strain of West Nile virus years after the last documented case, we may never know. In a bitter twist of irony, the habit that Cedar Cove inhabitants had of keeping to themselves has led to a situation where few of the already scant acquaintances and relatives they had outside their community have shown little interest in pursuing the matter of their current condition and eventual release. One such relative, who wishes to remain anonymous, commented that the town’s doom was ‘only a matter of time. Neighbors such as theirs, weren’t [sic] no way they could hope to avoid what was coming. It’s poison, I tell you, that place… poisons everything and everybody around it. I tried to talk sense into my baby brother, told him to take his family and leave with me, but he wouldn’t hear it, and now he’s gone. […] Ichor Falls is no good, and everybody with an ounce of sense should pack up right now and just go, wherever their nose leads them. And that’s all I’ve got to say on the matter.’

Report Reply

Reply by exotic_butters

posted

Idk if creepypastas count but there was one that really terrified me when first I read it, I think it was called 1999. Borrasca and Penpal are also really good ones (but they all have some triggering material in them so just a warning for anyone who wants to read them).

Report Reply