« Books and Stories Forum

GoodReads.com

Any one else use GoodReads to catalog and/or discover new books?

Did you enjoy it more when it wasn't under Amazon's ownership or isn't the same?

Do you even bother to use the GoodReads app or do you just use the website? 

Do encounter bugs/issues/glitches with the GoodReads app? 

Have you ever made online friends through GoodReads? 

P.S: Add me on there if you want to (same username as here). 

Report Topic

16 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by 0rangemoonx

posted

I started out using it, but made the switch to StoryGraph a few years ago and like it much more! For context, I mainly just use it for tracking my reading but it does so much more than that. I really like their Buddy Read feature.

Report Reply

Reply by Viva

posted

I know my mom uses goodreads to track all of the books she's bought and read, and she likes it lol

Report Reply

Reply by Maximoto

posted

I just started using GoodReads about a month ago and so far I *love* it. I got back into reading because of it ngl. 

If anyone is curious/want to share their reading lists, mine is Maximoto! 📚

Report Reply

Reply by OokamiJ

posted

I usually used Goodreads for nothing else other than just tracking read books and participating in the yearly reading challenge. I had a few FB friends on my list but it's a small handful. I don't add others unless I know them through other means - kind of like most socials with a friend feature...

Report Reply

Reply by dryfirewood

posted

Friday Night Funkin The melody is really gentle, touching the player's emotions

Report Reply

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

I have a GR account mostly to 'officially' log what I've read, but I can't say I've ever found anything new to read on there (maybe I am using it wrong lol).

Report Reply

Reply by TeoMatix

posted

Hello! I used to be an exceptional student who always managed to complete homework on time. However, recently, I've been struggling to keep up. To avoid overworking myself, I discovered a valuable service where I buy recommendation letters . I wondered why I didn't try this option sooner, as it has saved me a significant amount of time. Now, my grades are excellent, and I'm truly satisfied!

Report Reply

Reply by zara

posted

i use it to read reviews and synopses when browsing new books, but i rarely use it to track what i'm reading or post reviews myself (with one notable exception, the book was so bad i had to publically trash it lol). i'm too scatterbrained to be the target audience i think lol.

Report Reply

Reply by H I M E

posted

I use Goodreads to look up plot synopsis for books to see if I'm interested in adding them to my reading list. I haven't made an account yet, but I feel like I should. I already have a Letterboxd account where I list and review my movies, so I might as well have one for my books too.

Report Reply

Reply by Celea Akuri

posted

I'm making an effort to get on goodreads more than other social media. My favorite aspect of the site is the yearly reading goal. I wish they would expand that feature to being able to set the time frame, and compare your progress with other users. The group function is a lil wonky and clunky. 

Report Reply

Reply by EylokoftheRealm

posted

I use goodreads but there's also storygraph if you want a non Amazon company 

Report Reply

Reply by planetfynn

posted

personally i rlly like goodreads. i mostly use the website. but if  im out and find a book i cant buy, i still take a photo of the cover and then add it to my goodreads to read list once i get home

my old hs english teacher keeps her goodreads updated so i love to see what she's reading and her reviews. plus the goal thing is nice, and i love being able to update my progress and see what percentage done i am with a book

Report Reply

Reply by Macie Acaisha

posted

I JUST discovered goodreads (I know....where have I been???) but I must say, I love the idea of being able to record the books I've read and rated. I think the book recommendations for me so far are pretty great! I wouldn't use it as a social media app though, and if someone messaged me there or friend requested me I would absolutely ignore unless I knew them personally. But as a way to keep track of read books and books I want to read, I think it is fabulous!!

Report Reply

Reply by Eternity

posted

I use it to catalog my reads but not to find new books. Every book I've read that it's suggested to me has been horrible, so I get my recommendations from friends instead. Much better. But it's a great recording tool so I know what I've read, and it helps me when some random person asks "read anything good lately?" Without Goodreads, I'd just stare blankly at the person, but now I can pull out my phone and show them all the books I've recently rated 4+ stars.

I never used Goodreads before the Amazon buyout. I imagine it was better before.

I do use the app, but only in a pinch. It's honestly awful to use. Writing reviews is nearly impossible. I hate it. When possible, I use the website instead.

Report Reply

Reply by ꕥL̥ͦi̥ͦz̥ͦꕥ

posted

I’ve used GoodReads on and off ever since I was in high school. I do enjoy it more through Amazon since I’ve been reading through the Kindle app. It’s nice that it automatically updates GoodReads. So far I have not reach any bugs or issues throughout my use of GoodReads but I’ve never used it for social means. 

Report Reply

Reply by Obren

posted

I love Goodreads, and I love setting the yearly goal! The only problem I have with it is too much spam/ fake accounts. Other that that it's a great tool!

Report Reply