« Back to the Music enthusiasts and artists Forum

What band or artist turned you on to music in a big way?

For me (and this is going to age me) it was a band called Sparks. Thursday nights in the UK was always Top of the Pops (a BBC show about what was in the charts). One Thursday when I was very young something truly life-changing happened. This weird band call Sparks appeared and performed This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us. I had never heard or seen anything like it.

There was a male singer with a crazy falsetto voice, a keyboard player that looked like Hitler, and this unusually crafted pop song that just fit together so perfectly. I have been kinda obsessed with music ever since.

Later, Punk happened, and that helped to move me from being an avid listener and audience member, to being up on the stage, playing and singing, and then on to writing and recording.

For anyone who doesn't know Sparks (who are still going after some 25+ albums), here's a link to This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us

Report Topic

26 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by jason

posted

For me it's probably the sex pistols, nirvana, and meat puppets. I grew up with split parents who had very similar music tastes and liked older bands. I remember the first time I heard the sex pistols (I was like 4) and I instantly knew from then on that I would pursue a career in music.

Report Reply

Reply by annie .ꞈ.✿

posted

for sure the mouth albums by neil cicierega--they really opened up my mind to more music than whatever i was listening to at the time, which wasn't much lol

songs like 'annoyed grunt' and 'best' are the kind of mashup chaos that made me realize how much music is actually out there

Report Reply

Reply by chris

posted
updated

edit: wait i read that wrong. weezer is my answer

Report Reply

Reply by angelicupstart

posted

system of a down got me into music in general, but dead kennedys were the ones who really opened my eyes got me onto the path i'm on now

Report Reply

Reply by j0nd4mus1c14n

posted

I started out with pretty much a traditional heavy metal band/rock band called Black Sabbath and a little bit of old school Green Day. What actually got me into music originally was pop music. Stars like Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Iyaz, Rihanna, Jason Derulo, you name it. I had a sudden shift in genres after listening to my brother and sister's playlists. It exposed me to Paramore, Saosin, Eyes Set To Kill (mainly), Falling In Reverse, and Fall Out Boy. It just got heavier and more hardcore punkier and skramz-er over time. To bands such as Portraits of Past, to well... Infant Annihilator.

Report Reply

Reply by nxtagain

posted

For me it was Pink Floyd (thanks dad lol) and probably Metallica 

Report Reply

Reply by Julian v--v

posted

I've been pushed to learn classical music by parents for a lot of my life and hated it, the pretention and, the push to play something as it as written, it's just so, unartful? Like it's skilled, but anytime you deviate from the path it's all, "you think you know better than Listz?" and if you're just playing the same black dots on a page that some dead dude has, it's a craft, but is it an art?

But I started getting drawn to old coldplay stuff and it just, maybe wasn't the most complex or exciting music but that sense of strange feeling you get in your chest, not good or bad, just complex in emotion, that got me. Like good tea, it's complex and the beauty is in the way you feel, i guess. 

So yeah, sorry if that was uninteresting, but i feel that the music that gets to you is something that transcends music altogether sometimes.

Report Reply

Reply by Vincent Evans🍉

posted

Get Scared 

Report Reply

Reply by vincorocks

posted

It is not a particular artist, there are many, it drives me to create music to communicate my thoughts, my personality.

Report Reply

Reply by Tori ^-^

posted

The band that got me into making music was a band called ace of hearts. The band that mainly describes my current music taste is will wood and the tapeworms.

Report Reply

Reply by 77razr

posted

Gorillaz got me there.

Report Reply

Reply by The Messenger

posted

The Caretaker was the first musical awakening, and Ed Banger Records was the second musical awakening, still love them to bits to this day!

busy p my beloved

Report Reply

Reply by rip2hobodega

posted

Aaliyah(My pfp) also her last album is one of the first albums I truly enjoyed back to back

Report Reply

Reply by SWH (Punk Jesus)

posted

I was brought up listening to Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield, what ever was on the radio was a part of my listening diet, but it wasn't until I came across Vanessa Mae's "The Violin player" that I got into learning music properly. 

That then compounded when I first discovered the Eurythmics. They are the main ones that got me into music properly. My granddad also showed me groups like Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Report Reply

Reply by LadyRafela

posted

I'll be showing my age, but oh well. I'm a 90's kid who had no choice but to feed on to the mainstream music that was out at the time: Britney Spears, Monica, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Brandy, Christina Aguilera, TLC, etc. 

Still, my parents exposed me to music they grew up listening to. My dad exposed me to these artists: The Gap Band, Anita Baker, Patti Labelle, Ann Nesby, Kenny G, Dave Koz, Frankie Beverly & Maze, Earth Wind & Fire, Quincy Jones, and more. My mom exposed me to BeBe & CeCe Winans, Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendergrass, Amy Grant, Celine Dion, En Vogue, Xscape, and more.

As I continued to grow, I still listened to mostly mainstream artists, yet still found and heard of these artists: Puff Daddy, Biggie, Faith Evans, Dru Hill, K-Ci & Jojo, Coolio, Lou Bega (Mambo No 5 guy), Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez, Ja Rule, Ashanti, LL Cool J, Fat Joe, Blaque, Shakira, Gorillaz, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Jay-Z, and more.

Report Reply

Reply by Robaroba

posted

Death Grips!

When I was around 12 my friend told me of a "satanic" band that he found (he was super religious so anything loud and violent was satanic to him).

This band was Death grips. I listened to their album "The Money Store" after school that day and I hated it so much, I couldn't understand how anyone would enjoy this type of music, let alone make it.

Although I hated it and couldn't understand it, something about it interested me so I kept listening to it over and over again and at some point it just made sense to me. 

I got the art and how this could be entertaining to anyone.

Because of this I now have a really open mind to music and the artist intention, and the art they are trying to make.

Report Reply

Reply by Lunna

posted

For me it was black veil brides cause i found them at a time where i truly needed them and them been with me ever since 

Report Reply

Reply by oliviahydell

posted

probaly Have a Nice Life and Tiny Little Houses

Report Reply

Reply by SunflowerMouseParty

posted

Glaive

I can not describe with  any  words how good Glaive is. His music style has changed so much over the years and honestly has inspired me to make some of the music I have today. I have tons of unpublished songs that exist because of Glaive. I highly recommend you check him out on Spotify. 

Report Reply

Reply by SunflowerMouseParty

posted

Glaive

I can not describe with  any  words how good Glaive is. His music style has changed so much over the years and honestly has inspired me to make some of the music I have today. I have tons of unpublished songs that exist because of Glaive. I highly recommend you check him out on Spotify. 

Report Reply

Reply by kibbles

posted

hatsune miku……

Report Reply

Reply by Feracota

posted

Honestly, the song that got me into guitar and then bigger into music as a whole is Boys Don't Cry by The Cure. I first heard that song during a bad time in my life and I related to the lyrics in a deeper way than any other song I've heard before and since. I wanted to play it. I needed to perform it. So I picked up the guitar and just started. It's still my dream to perform a cover of it in front of an audience.

Report Reply

Reply by youssef ba

posted

Guns n roses

Report Reply

Reply by Benjamin Montes

posted
updated

Only listened to classical and film scores for my entire life (because I was and still am a classical pianist and composer). When I was much younger, Fireflies by Owl City would play on the radio. Only about a few months ago, I rediscovered that song, and now Owl City inspired me to branch out from a classical composer to become a singer and producer of electronic pop music myself.

Report Reply

Reply by bumbiedoodle1

posted

MCR made me actually start liking music lol...

Report Reply

Reply by GhxstPurpp

posted

for me, it was Tyler, the creator after listening to "foreword".

Report Reply