« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

What do you guys think of sites like BitView and VidLii?

Posted by Catalystl

posted

Forum: Web, HTML, Tech

If you don't know what these sites are, they're basically youtube clones that copy the old layouts from the late 2000s.

What do you think of them? I think they're a neat idea, but the servers are slow and it seems like they aren't updated much.

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Positron832

posted

If they want to compete with YouTube they must start uploading good original content. Currently almost all videos there are on YT too.

Report Reply

Reply by poppyp

posted

I think that the content on there might need to be a bit higher quality to be worth anyones time, most of the posts on there are low-effort movie maker videos. I have no hate against those, they're very nostalgic. But the thing that made Youtube so fun back in the day was finding the videos that looked like they were supposed to be videos. A lot of the things people post on there are just text posts to music. I also think Vidlii is going down the drain... It doesn't work for me on any browser (adblocker on or not) and it mainly hosts garbage content anyway.

Report Reply

Reply by Catalystl

posted

@Positron832 Agreed

@liliana_p I'm using firefox on windows 10 and both sites work fine for me. If they don't work, it might be because there's a problem with the servers, and those usually resolve quickly.

To update what I said before, both of these sites' "selling points" seem to be the fact that they're nostalgic, but I don't think that it automatically makes them good. I wish that the devs would implement new features youtube never had so the sites would have more purpose.

Report Reply

Reply by Tommy Panzram

posted

We're kind of spoiled on high quality videos and fast load times. The fact is, hosting video content is expensive, hardware taxing, and kind of a pain. Vid.me was a wonderful platform but the cost ended up putting them under. I love the idea of a old-school youtube styled platform that has more focus on community rather than content creators, but the luxuries we're used to are going to be point of contention for most people.

My original YouTube account, which I frequently posted on, was created Feb. 19, 2006. It kind of makes me laugh that there's a good-to-fair chance that someone reading this is younger than that channel. I've taken all the videos off of that channel because the cringe was too intense, but it still exists as a relic of what YouTube used to be to me and my old community of creators. 

Old YouTube was nothing like modern YouTube, and I do miss that, but I don't necessarily think recreating that exact platform is the best way to recapture that vibe. 

Report Reply

Reply by GRIFFEN

posted

A chance? Against Youtube? No way!

Report Reply

Reply by CatCusCat

posted

It's a shame people just post low quality shitposts instead of actual enjoyable stuff

Report Reply