« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Do y'all use any of the Facebook/Twitter/YouTube alternatives?

Gab (a Twitter like site) I created an account one time but then deleted it cause I barely used it (and I got tired of the owner's overly Christian-political posts/emails being sent like almost every day).

Minds (a Facebookish site) I created an account one time but then I deleted it cause I barely used it (I also didn't see much activity on there).

Bitchute (a YouTube alternative) I have an account but there isn't much activity on there & I barely log in. . .Also the site doesn't function that well (and there is a lot of political stuff on there).

Steemit (a umm blockchain/crypto coin site?) I created an account one time and then I couldn't log back in, cause I was not able to remember my stupid long random password they give users.

Odysee/LBRY (a YouTube alternative) I have an account I just forget to upload videos on there, honestly it's way better than Bitchute.

Rumble (a YouTube alternative) I have (yet) to make an account but I do here people saying it's good.

Yorespot. . .I read the site's T.O.S and decided not to make an account. . .Idk if it's any good

Parler. . .I was going to make an account but then I read that one of the co-founders Rebekah Mercer was an investor in her father's now-defunct data-mining analysis company (CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA) so yeah I don't trust Parler with my data.

Do y'all use any of these? 
What's y'all's opinion on them?
Are they good alternatives? 

P.S: Let's keep the discussion of these sites in general (e.g; features, functionality, etc ) and refrain talking about personal political opinions.

Report Topic

38 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Greg "X" Willis

posted

Never heard of any of those sites. Wow. Crazy.

Report Reply

Reply by Juan

posted
updated

Let's see...

Opened a Gab account a long time ago, but it's too overly political and couldn't stand the owner either.

Minds is boring and there's not much activity there, plus it's more overly political.

Mewe was boring as hell too.

Yorespot is kinda cool, it has almost all of the features from Facebook, but it's filled with boomers and got political real fast. To clarify, I have nothing against boomers, I just would rather meet people of my same age.

I opened a parler account two days before it shut down, it seemed like a good site to get news from but Telegram is better in that regard.

The only reason I opened up a friend project account was to remember the old MySpace layout days. It barely has any activity and most of the users seem to be zoomers and teenagers.

Bitchute is absolute garbage, the quality of the videos is garbage and the site itself always looks unfinished.

Odysee is pretty good, the quality of the videos is good and the layout aesthetic is really cool, none of that YouTube corporate aesthetic.

Tumblr I used some time ago to reblog 90s nostalgia, mostly 16 bit videogames, I really liked the customization, but it feels lonely in there.

Report Reply

Reply by CitrusTree

posted
updated

My most active account when it comes to social media at the moment is my Mastodon account, which is a sort of Twitter alternative. The community is way more relaxed and less aggressive than on Twitter and I highly recommend it, honestly.

Other than that? I've had a Neocities static site for a while but I haven't updated it in ages.

Gab is nazi garbage (I.E: EXTREMELY political and just very toxic), tho, so I'd recommend anyone interested in a similar service to scoot over to a Mastodon instance like mastodon.social or mas.to or any other one that you can see on the joinmastodon.org site.

Report Reply

Reply by DazzlingGleam

posted
updated

I used to use Minds years ago, but it was kinda boring tbh. Not sure if anything changes since 2017.

I use Odysee and it is a really good alternative to Youtube. I love the interface of the site, some functionalities are similar, and it feels pretty chill there. I hope it stays that way. Also, wish there are more users that post there exclusively, because there are mostly people who are from Youtube cross-post their videos on Odysee too.

Bitchute is terrible as well as Gab(I never registered on there, but I remember some posts, they're always ranting about something and constantly angry...and extremely political). Also, the Bitchute website looked amateur the last time I've visited.

I really like Mastodon, a twitter-like alternative, there are different "instances" that could be based on certain interests, like Art, programming, music, etc. But I do be careful on what instance I register in, because there are people who are pretty much the same kind of people that are on Twitter, you know, extremely political, left and right winged people...

I don't know the rest of them, but i will probably check them out later.

Report Reply

Reply by Galra Keith

posted

Flote.App Alternative to Twitter 

MeWe.com Better version of Facebook

BitChute.com is Good they are planing to redoing their website coming soon live streams

Minds.com Too Much Spam on the website 

Report Reply

Reply by Rebecca Jeane

posted

Vidlii is a nice Youtube alternative with an old youtube layout.
Dreamwidth is like LiveJournal.

Report Reply

Reply by Galra Keith

posted

never heard of Vidlii.  Thanks for talking about it! 

Report Reply

Reply by Soapstone

posted

i made a mastodon account but ive never really used it, although i do plan to eventually. there are two youtube alternatives called vidlii and bitview that are meant to look like late 2000s youtube, i dont really use them but i look through them occasionally, i plan to upload stuff on at least one of them eventually but i dont really have anything to upload at the moment

Report Reply

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

I created an Odysee account, but I've only had time to upload one video on there so far. Not sure if it'll take off like YouTube did. I just hope the site owners don't go the "big brother" route that YouTube seems to do regarding content.

Report Reply

Reply by Didrick

posted
updated

I've played around a bit on both VidLii and BitView and while both successfully manage to recreate the old look and feel of classic YouTube, I chose to sign up with BitView because they have groups. It's just a bit strange that the profile pic I uploaded there doesn't seem to appear at all though. I did upload some old random videos that I've also uploaded to YouTube (from around 2006-2008), here's my profile: https://www.bitview.net/profile.php?user=DidrickNam

VidLii gets a plus for site customization and different layouts you can choose from (you can even put the YouTube logo on there to really make it look like YouTube back in the heyday) but the lack of groups is a minus. I might still make an account there though, time will tell.

Report Reply

Reply by bunny

posted

No, not really and I honestly don't plan to.

All of those are super politically charged plus everything that's from back in the day that matters is on the mainstream sites. ( save for a few deleted things )

Report Reply

Reply by GL1TT3RC0RPS3

posted

I am so tired of socials, wish I could delete all my accounts. but at the same time, I am now dependent from them.

Wish less-known websites were more active, everyone now only sign up in popular ones cause they know there's lot of people...

Report Reply

Reply by 🥓

posted

Nope, lol I think I'll stick to spacehey and MSN messanger..im still stuck on Messenger for now...

Report Reply

Reply by Eray

posted

Youtube alternetive has to be VidLii or BitView, they are the best check them out

Report Reply

Reply by Didrick

posted

Btw is anyone here on FineFriends? It's a completely free social media alternative, no ads and you can also choose not to have your profile come up in search results on search engines. Info also is never sold to a third party (*cough*Facebook*cough*), so just like Spacehey, what happens on FineFriends stays on FineFriends (okay that one sounded lame lol, but still true). Here's my page on there: https://finefriends.social/u/Didrick 

Report Reply

Reply by Marc

posted

For YouTube, there's a website called Vidlii. It's literally an exact replica of YouTube from 2008-2014. It usually gets a lot of traffic when YouTube gets down. And video upload times are long for some reason, it wasn't like that before.

There's also Ruqqus which actually was a very good site for a short while. But then Neo-Nazis flocked into the platform after their site "Voat" shut down. It's a mess. But the site isn't blocked on most school internet-regulators. I've tested it on 5 different blockers and Ruqqus wasn't blocked on any of them, so that's one pro.

Gab like I heard others discuss here, it's fine. I don't browse it often as it lacks content.

Parler keeps getting attacked by big-tech giants and Twitter users so I don't use it often. Some of their users are nuts too.

Report Reply

Reply by UltimateSpork

posted

Not really cause most of these sites are filled with people who were banned from mainstream social media (nazis, racists, pedos,etc).

Report Reply

Reply by Marie Rousseau

posted

There’s Fanbase: An Instagram/Patreon/Clubhouse mash up. You earn revenue through loves and creating subscriptions for exclusive content (A lot of TikTokers are moving there, especially marginalized groups because of TikToks apparent biases.)

Display: An Instagram/Shop where you earn revenue just for posting or through Amazon affiliate shop you can set up right on the app

Spoons: A audio streaming social media.

Holonis: A blog/shop/Instagram/Facebook mashup. It’s pretty.

I have accounts to them, but Fanbase is the only one I’m semi active on. I like sites that allow creators to earn for their work and content. Hopefully spacehey implements something similar.

Report Reply

Reply by Just Miry

posted

Meh, I only use youtube and facebook I only have it to link my video game accounts and so on. The truth is that a few weeks ago I created a SpaceHey account and I admit that I was hooked.

Report Reply

Reply by soloninja

posted

I don't think anyone mentioned this but mastodon is a cool open source twitter alternative, minds is good but could be a little better. recently it has been more active. Pixelfed is a good one for a instagram alternative. Been using rumble, odysee those can be better than youtube. Another one is hive blockchain platform. It has every single alternative in one and talks to one another 

Report Reply

Reply by NathanDarkson984

posted

No and never.

Report Reply

Reply by [TDK] Digital Cheese

posted

I have used Odyssey a bit but not much. I have used Bitview a bit and SubRocks. SubRocks is a 2012 clone and Bitview is a 2008 clone.

Report Reply

Reply by TorbieGriff

posted

I've considered posting videos to Odysee, but now I don't necessarily think I want to contribute to it because of the cryptocurrency side of LBRY with LBC. I'll have to check out the other YouTube alternatives mentioned here.

Report Reply

Reply by 11Zofia28

posted

The sites I use are mostly open source:
  • Invidious a frontend for youtube github.com/iv-org/invidious
  • searx a meta search engine that queries other github.com/searx/searx
  • nitter a frontend for twitter zedeus/nitter
  • teddit a frontend for reddit codeberg.org/teddit/teddit
  • then obviously this site which is sadly not open source as far as I know
But I mostly use invidious/spacehey and I rarely look up content in twitter/reddit. Keep in mind that the sites I listed aren't other services they
just provide the content of e.g youtube in a private way.

Hope this is somewhat useful :)

Report Reply

Reply by enTTY

posted

My issue is most of my social media is for interacting with friends, and convincing some of them to switch to another platform just means I'll be using yet another platform, as well as all the ones I'm currently using. With the exception of this site, and some unnameable image boards I don't really interact with random people on the internet much.

Report Reply

Reply by Aelester (Al•list•er)

posted

Gab is wayyyy too political for my taste. Like... it makes twitter seem like a safe space in comparison lol. From the little time i used it, Minds seemed alright. At least it wasnt super political but maybe thats because i only followed a couple ppl, never used any of the other ones.

Report Reply

Reply by ifdproductions

posted

Don’t forget truth social

Report Reply

Reply by Deleted User

posted
updated

I use hubzilla, mastadon, and odysee.

Report Reply

Reply by Keeze

posted

yea rumble is good. It's WAY less toxic than YouTube and if you're a conspiracy nut like me yyou can find SO MUCH STUFF YOUTUBE WOULD TAKE DOWN LIKE OMG i want to overthrow the government now lol.

Report Reply

Reply by Axel <3

posted

Never used any of theese! 

We need more revivals. I know a lot of websites to play old roblox since the normal one got too toxic and ugly T.T . Revival websites are better than the original ones HAHA

Report Reply

Reply by lime360

posted
updated

so uhhh vidlii is a site filled with nazis (which is now banned) so the solution will be using similar sites like yoretude, jan (the creator of vidlii and bitview) is working on vidbit.

but i recommend using fediverse services (mastodon, pixelfed, peertube, writefreely, etc.) or nuclearboom

Report Reply

Reply by Emaemaema

posted
updated

VidLii has so many nazis that makes me wanna puke... there are so many and the support doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop them...

Report Reply

Reply by Brian2011

posted

I use BitView (youtube with 2009 layout) which is a bit active, i also use blips but i woudn't recommend it that much since the "Find people" tab is still on development

Report Reply

Reply by TuPanaElTailsYTUwU

posted

I would reccomend KamTape.com.

It's good ol' YouTube from November 2005. It would be nice for you guys to join!

It's hosted by the YoreTude guy. But this time it isn't for 5000000 TB RAM NASA PCs. It's lighter in performance, it has a good old fashioned community with nice videos. It's EXTREMELY rare to see any toxic or strange user in there. I would rate it KamTape (10000000000000000000000000000000000000000)/10

Report Reply

Reply by Dunkle Hunkle

posted

I occasionally use something called odysee

Report Reply

Reply by ethan (taylor's version)

posted

i love using flickr!! it's a photo sharing service which is built more for photographers, but is open to every type of photography! i use it to post nostalgic looking pictures i take, but also more photogenic ones aswell. it's suuper cool, and a product of its release date (2004, almost 20 years of flickr!)

Report Reply

Reply by Carboniferous

posted

If you want to stick to YouTube but hate the base app, check out YouTube ReVanced!

Report Reply

Reply by Kayfabe

posted
updated

i use bitview as a youtube alternative, it’s a clone of old youtube, very customizable and has decent moderation 

Report Reply