« Back to the divination & magick Forum

When Did You First Become Interested In Your Path? And When Did You first Start Your Practice?

When and How did you first start your practice? And how did you become interested in your chosen path?

I will go first I first became interested in my chose path as an Eclectric witch at the age of 16. I did not start my practice until I was 18 after some studying of some different paths and finding that all of them spoke out to me in their own certain way. I then started to put some of what I learned in to practice. But I still study and read everyday because I have learned as a witch there is always something new to learn.

Report Topic

52 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Shaina

posted

i was born to witchy parents in 95 and have been on the path ever since I guess,  my teens are when I decided to dive deep into the study and practice and try healing depression/trauma and i'm still healing and learning every day lol

Report Reply

Reply by Jaunty Illusion

posted
updated

I became interested in astrology in late 2013, when I was 18. I knew about sun signs, but I was introduced to the broader field pretty unexpectedly. It caught my attention and I've been intrigued ever since. I've just gotten into tarot about two months ago, because my mom once owned a tarot deck when it was a kid, and I saw it, and it was ingrained into my memory ever since. The idea fascinates me, and I was surprised at how quickly I learned the basics.
They both make life a little less boring to me

Report Reply

Reply by BinniBunni

posted

I think I started studying about the various paths when I was about 14, and it was only after I turned 16 I actively started practicing.

I quickly fell in love and had the Norse traditions speak out to me, and after I had given my first offering to Freyja after I had lost my cat during a move I felt it truly called to me. In return of her offering I received my best friend and animal companion of nearly 8 years now.

I'm definitely more eclectic as a little of everything really speaks to me - and since meeting my husband I've been helping him find his own path as well!

Report Reply

Reply by t0by

posted

I was always passively Interested in my path, but it wasn't until around 3 years ago I really got interested. I was looking into religion because I was feeling like I failed the one I was previously a part of, this is how I discovered wicca and knew it was right. I'm not going to go too deep into it, but upon advice I received from other witches i took a little over a year to start practicing Magick. Ive been practicing for a year and a half now, I'm still very new but wanted to share my experience anyways :)

Report Reply

Reply by Dragon76

posted

When I was young, I spent most of my time alone in the outdoors. So I woudl say since about age 10. Came out and got my Ministrals at 30

Report Reply

Reply by Jenn

posted

i first started practicing my craft in 1999

Report Reply

Reply by Heidi Pry

posted

I kind of always felt like I didn’t connect with others as easily as I was always interested in anything different and having a bigger imagination, as I grew up I realized it was normal to feel that way as others did too. And that my imagination could become reality for me as long as I trusted in myself. I’ve been studying and learning actively now, for about 4 years. 

Report Reply

Reply by Heidi Pry

posted

I kind of always felt like I didn’t connect with others as easily as I was always interested in anything different and having a bigger imagination, as I grew up I realized it was normal to feel that way as others did too. And that my imagination could become reality for me as long as I trusted in myself. I’ve been studying and learning actively now, for about 4 years. 

Report Reply

Reply by OHHeyTT

posted

Well, I'd have to say, seriously since 2014. I was in a very dark place back in 2014 and I knew getting my hereditary witch into motion would help me heal and see the true power and light within me. 

It is in my blood to practice the craft and learn about paganism. I'm currently working with Lilith. Shes shown me how to use my voice and stand my ground when in a difficult situation. 

Anyone else working with Lilith? 

Report Reply

Reply by Mandy Lee

posted

I was raised around several denominations of Christianity. I went back and forth trying to find out what was best for me, but I started checking in Paganism around 1998 and finally settled on Wicca in 2004. I don't readily practice like I used to, but the fact that I have a husband with similar beliefs helps me not feel silly when I want to break out a ritual or two. I do read tarot semi-regularly though. 

Report Reply

Reply by Melrose

posted

I had been on the learning path for nearly twenty years. I am what one could call eclectic, as I do not fit any particular mold, but I hail to the Norse pantheon and provide rite and offerings to Freyja often. She is my guide in my calling and has been watching over me for a very long time now.

Report Reply

Reply by Nat Corvid

posted

I first started my craft in middle school when my mother begun her practices in Wicca. It was around the same time I stopped going to Baptist church. It wasn't long before I dropped it, not really sure how to navigate it all by myself in the deep south. But as years went on, I did a little bit of research here and there before really starting my practice when I was roughly 19. I was able to find a mentor who quickly became one of my best friends before sadly passing back in 2019. Since then I have been practicing and learning whenever I can! I have roughly 6 years under my belt and feel like I've barely scratched the surfice in my practice. I've since moved on from wicca and have been putting more of my research and studies into Eclectic paganism. I'm now focusing on Hearth magic and kitchen/green witchery. <3

Report Reply

Reply by detroitladybug

posted

I became interested in my path when I was around five or six by learning about astrology through the newspaper even the astrology section of certain magazines. From then on my intuition showed up within daydreams which I am aware of now our visions. I don't often see my mom getting into a car accident or my dad being stuck in traffic on his way home from work. Through middle school and most of high school I suppressed my intuitive gifts and intuition until one day I felt called to watch some motivational videos and videos on meditation. To keep a long story short, my life changed after that. Now I believe in pantheism (all forms of a higher power), read tarot, use a pendulum, read oracle cards, and I am psychic and have been since I was 17. It's been a long journey but I am glad to be pursuing what I love

Report Reply

I started my interest in the craft when I was beginning to question my faith as a Christian around 14. Some things weren't making sense to me, I was dealing with resurfacing trauma and I was also dealing with abuse at home, and I had very little control in life. I don't exactly remember where I heard of Wicca first but it lead me into a rabbit hole of researching various belief systems of my *supposed* ancestors. I later, instead, dropped all research and locked into atheism for several years, angry at my former religion (Christianity) for a multitude of reasons I could write essays on.

I finished my teens and young twenties through a lot more BS and ended up finally in a stable place where I'm no longer hurt, neglected, or in need to worry for my safety and my entire being started to call for restoring my own inner power. I had been pulled through so much and decided it was time to focus on me and my own strength to heal because the pain of decades of abuse started to show even when there wasn't a metaphorical cloud in sight. My children and husband deserve an optimal version of me and through therapy, medication and now the craft, I can give them that fully.

I suppose I'm an eclectic witch. I study runelore and osteomancy at the moment and I work with herbs, candle workings, and crystals and stones. My primary focus is on the self. My practice is generally kept to myself in the home. I am okay with telling my family what I'm up to if they ask but they usually don't care. 🤷🏻

Thank you for reading! If you want to add me, you're welcome to! I'm open to new friends and I'm happy to add new people to my social circle!

♓︎ ♓︎ ⬆️♈︎  𝓑𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓪𝓷𝔂   ☿ ♓︎ ♀️ ♓︎ ♂️ ♒︎

Report Reply

Reply by lily

posted

i became interested at 13, started practicing few months later. i mostly work with chaotic energies. there is always something to learn and i think it is fascinating!

Report Reply

Reply by jahzlyn

posted

My first time learning about divination, astrology, and things like that was from my grandmother. She would always talk about astrology, the moon, and the earth. Then, me and my mom were talking about how we (the women on my moms side) all have strong intuition, I asked why that was, and she said that our ancestors were gypsies, and she think they practiced magic. When I was thirteen, she bought me my first tarot set. Which I still use and hold very dear to my heart.

Report Reply

Reply by Patrona <3

posted
updated

Honestly, I have no specific time when I started my practice. I remember in my childhood that I would love to draw charms all over my body, especially el ojo (the evil eye.) My nickname from my parents was bruja from all the weird stuff I would do. But I believe I fully got into brujeria in 6th grade. It was a closeted practice since my parents are christian, but I was able to come out and tell them what I practice. Luckily they were accepting!! I started off with crystals, astrology, and tarot (FUN FACT!! my older sister gave me my first tarot deck) then further developed into pendulum and divination. I'm trying shadow work now (which is sooo exhausting :( lol) and I have 3 known patrons and 1 unknown patron! I wish I can devote my practice more that I am now, but school, work, family, and friends are taking my time away lol

I've been practicing for 6 years now!

Report Reply

Reply by Chris

posted

I got into tarot because astrology seemed to involve too much math and academic rigor

Report Reply

Reply by Stone Prechodko

posted

The law of one was my introduction to the craft, besides the occasional information from my wiccan mother.

Report Reply

Reply by RockJuleMantis

posted

I was 16 and fed up with christanity (it wasn't for me) and kinda did it in rebellion to my father but, turned out I really liked it so I kept up with it.

Report Reply

Reply by Ormen Long

posted

I've always been into learning about mythology and religion, and I knew vaguely about tarot cards' existence. I looked into it more, learned it, and have successfully convinced at least two people that they are of some use. Like when deciding if you should eat an entire roast chicken or leave it for later. Personally, it helps me think about the future and my actions.

It seems that a lot of people consider witchcraft a passing fad, but I'm going to make sure to defy that expectation.

Report Reply

my grandmother was a witch in her youth and told me about it. ive always had future predicting dreams and my mother was heavily into astrology. a lot of my family was religious and forbid any kind of witchcraft. I gave up religion around 25-26 and started my own path and have learned sm in 5 years now that i feel free enough to practice.

Report Reply

Reply by mak :>

posted

my mom and people on her side of the family claim to be (possibly jokingly?) witches and ive always kept that in the back of my head

but it wasn't until i was at my lowest that i started investigating the angel numbers id been seeing and beginning to look into tarot 

it's been a few years since then lmao 

Report Reply

Reply by Vamp <3

posted

I became interested in Wicca at age 10 as an alternative to the christianity i had been brought up with at school, I then moved into secular witchcraft practicing little by little, this slowly expanded into paganism - initially hellenic though in more recent years I have found my path leans a little more towards Gallo-Roman Paganism. I have explored many areas. I discovered very early on in my path that I find it tremendously difficult to 'jump the hedge' or astral project, so much of my path has evolved around spirit communication through clair-audience and clair-sentience. Recently I have delved more into divination but find tarot a struggle sometimes. I have worked in a variety of areas, such as graveyard craft, fairycraft, green witchcraft but currently my path focuses on water witchcraft and nature spirits.

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕰𝖑𝖑𝖊 ⚝

posted

Started out in my teens but couldn't continue to pursue as I had been born and rasied in Christianity. My mother was furious. As an adult I have been dedicated to it closeted for most of my 20s, publicly since my 27th birthday. 

Report Reply

Reply by XxXEmo_BxddieXxX

posted

I was born into it , it goes down the line in the family and then i was taught throughout my life. My gifts are aura readings  and im under the green witch catagory with traits from other witches. 

Report Reply

Reply by XxXEmo_BxddieXxX

posted

I was born into it , it goes down the line in the family and then i was taught throughout my life. My gifts are aura readings  and im under the green witch catagory with traits from other witches. 

Report Reply

Reply by Athena Valentine

posted
updated

It’s Hereditary for me, my nana is a shaman and has taught me throughout my life and was drawn to it but I was forbidden to practice bc of my mother a newly turned Jehovah’s Witness. I left the religion in 2015 (@18 yrs) & had my spiritual awakening in 2018 (21) & I’ve been practicing ever since.

I have characteristics of a Green, Hedge & kitchen witch (eclectic) but I just prefer to refer to myself as just a healer. My gift is intuitive empathy.

Report Reply

Reply by Cheshirecatmoon

posted

I think I've always dabbled in many things my whole life. Very eclectic for sure. I love reading books about anything metaphysical or magickal.

Report Reply

Reply by ItsLennon

posted

well…. my ma practices some forms of witchcraft and i kind of picked it up from her. she had a ton of books on witch stuff and other pagan shit and i was like “i gotta get my hands on that” and eventually my ma gave me a tarot deck. i’ve been practicing since (i was like 11)

Report Reply

Reply by lizbeth

posted

I became interested as a teenager but was raised as a christian, and kept on with that till i was about 19/20. It took a while to want to leave the church but once I did I became open minded to anything, and really embraced witchcraft. I am still a beginner and have a lot to learn. I am a hedgewitch and learning about approaching hellenic deities :)

Report Reply

Reply by FREDDY

posted

I got interested at age 13-14 I’d say! I’m only just now exploring it now. I’m hesitant to say the least, I’m nervous for what’s to come but yk 

Report Reply

Reply by EmoPunkkW0LFF

posted

For me, it started from a young age (around 8 years old). My parents were divorced and my dad had full custody of me and was always at work. 

So I got to watch the house and be home alone when I was young and I had access to a shitty little Acer Notebook from 2011 and I was obsessed with the supernatural and spells and spirit magick and stuff. 

As of lately I have found out that my Mom practices Wiccan and I have been getting into it to. I have many friends that do it with me and guide me and stuff

Report Reply

Reply by Saylor 𓆩♡𓆪

posted
updated

I have always been Interested In magic and the paranormal when I was an Infant I could feel entities presences and as I grew older I discovered I am something Called a Medium. But I also Love reading palms and Tarot cards.

Report Reply

Reply by BadInfluence

posted

It's always a been a part of my life because it runs in the family, but i took it seriously at 13, and I am now 23 A decade of practicing occult✨

Report Reply

Reply by moony ♡

posted

well i grew up with different spiritual practices from my nana, shes an adamant believer in learning your own personal magick and becoming your best self. i base my beliefs on a bit of her beliefs however, i have branched out into more witchcraft based practices. but im always willing to learn more n grow!! 
xoxo lilith

Report Reply

Reply by Autritus

posted

Hello to all my fellow Pagans & Random Bystanders!

This group is specifically for Tarot, Oracle, or any other form of Divination enthusiasts that love expressing and sharing all things involving these topics, the attention you could bring to this Newfound group would be most appreciated. So join if this is something you would like to get involved with.
groups.spacehey.com/divination

-Autritus

Report Reply

Reply by Ellie <3

posted

I became interested in magick about two years ago. i’m an eclectic witch and i practice a lot of green, hearth, divinatory, cosmic, deity, crystal, and general magick!! i’d say i’m at an intermediate level. i kinda lost a lot of motivation to get back into my craft recently, but i’m trying my best to get back into it!! Also on here to look for witchy friends :)) feel free to hmu!

(also, i’ll gladly give u a tarot reading!!)

Report Reply

Reply by Tomie

posted

Oh where do I even start? I always felt a strong connection towards magick and things of that sort since I was a little kid. It always just kinda clicked, media with it in it, to even just hearing about it, I was always drawn towards witchhood. However being raised by conservative christians I never got to explore this very much until my older teens, Which has led to where I am now! A proud Pagan Witch lol.

Report Reply

Reply by xX_N1ghtm4r3_P01s0n_Xx

posted

2019. I remember distinctly waking up and researching witchcraft on the bus to college and just feeling pulled to it. I am a Norse Pagan now (not associated with the AFA, thank the Gods. Hate them.) I've always loved the idea of magic and witchcraft since I was a kid. I blame both the Hex Girls and the game of witches me and my cousins would play in my granny's back garden.

Report Reply

Reply by Citrus <3

posted

God it was yeaaaaars ago (not that long ago but around 4 ish years?)
i was very young and had always loved witch stories and stuff. when i first started practicing i kept it secret even though i have a super cool punk mom who actually used to do tarot herself! there were a lot of times for the first few years (after i told her) where she said things about stuff i believe in and saying it was all bs, but she stopped recently! im glad i was brave enough to talk to her about how it made me feel when she did that and that she really listened to me because sooo many witches dont get that. i was, at first, worshipping hades and persephone which was real cool. i had this plant (R.I.P candace- she was like 3-4 years old) that flowered, with the blossoms eventually falling off- so i gave them to both persephone's and hades' spaces. i noticed that hades' flower withered way quicker than persephone's! i was struggling with my beliefs at the time and seeing that happen really helped me to keep going. ehhh i cant remember much more than that- always cool to tell my story ;p

Report Reply

Reply by •♡ashes♡•

posted

I grow up around my dad's side of the family for most of my life and my mom's side I only every saw every so many years. My dad's side is the more christen ones and that's what I many grow up with when it came to "religion" but, when it came to my mother's side it was a little more complects. My mom's side never really had anything but from what my mom says they lined up more with witchcraft. I started looking at more things about witchcraft in middle school. From there it grow and grow the more and more I prenticed. Then I became part of a coven and my mom was like "You do know that are family have been practicing magic for a long and there is a family grimoire in Germany right?" and I'm like "That would have been very helpful if you remembered that way sooner !!" so yeah I have been practicing seems I was 12-13 but my family has been doing it for a long time on my mother's side. 

Report Reply

Reply by Xav

posted

I first became interested and started practicing about a decade ago :)

Report Reply

Reply by 2mi_22

posted

Ive been interested since I was about thirteen, which was eight years ago. I consider myself an eclectic when it comes to practice and things like that!

Report Reply

Reply by Kerrigan

posted

when i was in 3rd grade i remember watching countless videos abt wicca n magick n i kinda forgot abt it until 2020 n all my memories came back n i started really studying it

Report Reply

Reply by yuki rosemoon

posted

About when I was 11-14. I'm someone with childhood trauma, so repressed memories tend to get shaken up whenever there was a stressful period in my life. I started to have past life memories, and interacted with two entities at that time. I now know that they're people from my past life. I also started to meet some mysterious people during that time, where I was thrust into the world of the supernatural.
Witchcraft tends to be in that space, so it's always been there. I didn't necessarily choose it as it found me. 
I do really prefer divination, like tarot, runes and astrology, if nothing else. So divination, tech + spirit witch is what suits me. 
I've also had a few "spiritual awakenings" since then, it's kinda been a wild ride. 

Report Reply

Reply by Antique Scissors

posted

When I was little I saw ghosts and shit in my room so I went on YouTube to look up what it was and I went down the spiritpipeline lol 

Report Reply

Reply by Yeon

posted

I come from a family of witches so ive learned bits and pieces through the years since i was little but i only fully accepted and walked myself through this kind of path maybe about four years ago.

Report Reply

Reply by Aesthetic_Fluffz

posted

I would say about 3 years ago and recently i've been deep diving into diffrent topics to try and get a wide variety of knowledge

Report Reply

Reply by ☽arcana☾

posted

well, it turns out i grew up in a pagan household! i didn't really know it was any different because we lived in a pagan area, but when we moved down south, i learned other people didn't live that way. i remember chewing on my mothers rune stones as a kid, and going down to the harbour for samhain. i personally picked up my own relationship with magic and spirituality when i was 16, and i've kept it up since

Report Reply