« Back to the Writing & Author Community Forum

Introduce Yourself & Your Book

Firstly, what is your penname? Do you have multiple? What are your experiences with writing and/or publishing? What genres and age ranges do you write? What tropes do you enjoy? Let us get to know you in all of your writer glory!

Report Topic

23 Replies

Sort Replies:

My name is J.D. Toombs, I've been published for three months now but have been writing my entire life. I am currently working on my debut novel's sequel, here are my books I currently have out:

https://jdtoombsauthor.wordpress.com/books/judd/
https://jdtoombsauthor.wordpress.com/books/fragments/

And the one I'm working on:
https://jdtoombsauthor.wordpress.com/books/judd-ii/
I currently only have one pen name and I write in YA Fantasy! I'm not very experienced in Marketing, but I'm still learning and coming up with my marketing plan so personally, any questions that will arise from me will likely be about that. One trope I very much enjoy is the platonic affectionate best friend, everyone thinks they're together, but nope.

That's me, I hope everyone enjoys socializing on this group and that it helps many of you in your writing persuits!

Report Reply

Reply by Dax

posted

Hello, all!

My pen name is D. L. Hathaway; this is the only pen name I intend to use.ย 

I have been writing novels for the last 16 years, but I have so many ideas that it is difficult for me to keep up with them. I have published a short story titled "Woods" and a fantasy novel titled A Thousand Yearsย on Amazon. I tend to shy away from romance as a main genre, and lean more towards sci-fi and fantasy settings. I have about 70 WIPs in my writing folder - my current WIP is a fantasy novel called Rookwood.ย I typically write YA and Adult fiction. I enjoy most tropes, with a twist on them. My style is very much character driven, and I write to make people feel what the characters are feeling.ย 

I also enjoy drawing my characters - though I've used art under a CC0 license (with credit to the artist) for my past book covers.

Report Reply

Reply by KJ Jones

posted
updated

(No clue why there's tabs all over the place when I cleared the formatting. Oh, well.)

I write under K.J. Jones and I write the
Extinction Level Event series, a character-driven apocalypse with infected โ€œzombieโ€
tropes and scary accurate science. The characters call them โ€œzombiesโ€ and say
they are in the zombie apocalypse, as we would if we witnessed whatโ€™s
happening. (Iโ€™m feeling too tired to make wonderful sentences. Been writing all
day. Brain no work.)

ELE has a large military
fan base yet a lot of women who give feedback about โ€œdynamicsโ€ of character relationships,
so I hit the line well.
Iโ€™m known for my dialogue, action scenes,
and mastering multicharacter storylines.

Books 1 thru 5 of the
series are available on the big mammoth Amazon. Iโ€™m writing Book Six currently โ€ฆ
and keep getting distracted!

I nuked an Army base in
the last book and had to learn everything about this to do so accurately. The
characters had to reach the minimum safe distance and I had to know top speed
for a Humvee, the whole nine. I really make this so difficult on myself! lol

My next series will be
alien sci-fi. Already have the blurb written out on my sliding glass doors that
function as a white board! I gotta wreck the whole world and rebuild it before
I can get onto that series. Though I never read romance, Iโ€™ve been playing with
the idea of adventure romance to make a lot of money fast. It would be under a
new pen name.

Iโ€™m brand new to
Spacehey and trying to figure out how to post images. Itโ€™s a touch too programmer
for me. We shall see if I can learning curve this.

I am tired of dealing
with Facebook and wanted to look around for somewhere else. I know a lot of my
fans are tired of the stuff too and want to be left alone to enjoy themselves. For
business purposes, I must keep up FB, but I crave something more. And thatโ€™s
why I came here.

You can call me Katie.

ย 

Report Reply

Reply by DE Navarro

posted
updated

Hello all. My name is David E. Navarro I also use the penname D.E. Navarro frequently.ย 

I am a published author and poet. I currently have 9 published books of various writings, mostly poetry and essays. As a publisher (I started NavWorks Press, an indie press, in 2005) I have also compiled two anthologies of prize winning poetry with over 145 poets represented. About 50 of the poets I have published are from the original Myspace poetry movement (2005 - 2010).

My work also appears in 8 other books published by other publishers and presses. The best way to see information about all of my books together in one place is on my website: http://www.de-navarro.com.

Here is an image of most of the book covers:

Images of DE Navarro

As I said, most of my book-published work is poetry and essays. I also write quality of life, lifestyle, work-life balance, self-help, financial management, and business management articles published in various venues online. I also write research papers on various topics in academia and write biblical research articles.ย 

I formerly worked as a Technical Writer for the US DOD, writing manuals and regulations. After that I worked as a writer/editor for the global bank Citi, and for SoCal Edison power company. I now work as a medical writer and copy editor for Clinical Outcomes Solutions, a clinical research company.ย 

See my profile here on SpaceHey for a full biographical sketch.ย 

I am working on several books right now, one is a sci-fi/fantasy series of novels called the Annals of Ghalensa. The second called Rain in the Mountain is a book on common haiku myths busted and how to write haiku. The third is a memoir of sorts, a biographical telling of my mother's incredibly storied life, a true slice of an independent and empowered woman, her exploits as a Navy WAVE in the Korean War, her 6 relationships including 4 marriages, her four children each by different fathers, her abduction and almost fatal gunshot at the hands of a jealous lover, how she ended up re-marrying her first husband and father of her first child after 50 years being separated (at over 70 years old), her work as a clown and at the foremost clown academy in America, her work as an activist, an ombudsman, as a community leader, as an advocate for the underprivileged, and much more. It will be a worthy read.

I plan on writing both children's books and YA books in the future. I write non-fiction (history, science, English, writing) and fiction (mainstream and sci-fi/fantasy). I probably have more books in me than time left in life to write them, but I'm going for it!

So there it is, a summation of "all my writer glory" as you noted in the topic post. Hope you enjoy.

Report Reply

Reply by TheDivaPoetress

posted

ย  Hi ! My pen name is L.R. Shepherd. I'm a freelance writer of novellas and poetry. I currently write a serial multicultural lgbtqa romantic drama on the brand new Kindle Vella from Amazon. It's called The Odds of Love. As with all Vella stories the 1st 3 chapters ( or episodes as they're called ) are free and Amazon is giving new Vella readers 200 free tokens to start reading, So if you like serials and multicultural and lgbtqa give The Odds of Love a try on Kindle Vella ( available for now only in US via IOS or any browser on Amazon website ). Thanks !

Report Reply

Reply by Jordon

posted

Hello!

I go by Stormaline when writing books, I might not be in the right place and I am still learning to write but I'd love some pointers from good writers hopefully? I am currently re-writing my first original called Run. It's a romantic horror type book that I'm trying to make to it's top perfection. Perfect enough for me to think it is good.
I can say that my English teacher who is obsessed with books, thinks my creative writing is good. I just need help with most punctuation and grammar. I have been writing since I was 11, starting with fanfictions that were horrible and now I'm here, trying to write my original. My age range is 18 and older, though I am 17, I like to write books more for adults.ย 
ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย My main genre I'd like to write more about in the future I say is horror.

~Jordon

Report Reply

Reply by Right Wrong Rev Paul

posted

59339460. sy475
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59339460-the-wild-witches-of-west-bygodย 

Report Reply

Reply by Mrs. Colleen M Tice

posted

Hi my pen name is Mrs. Colleen M Tice I added the Mrs to my name in honor of my husband. Also I have been writing since I was 13 years old but published my first novel in 2018 and my second novel in 2020. I also have 2 different series for short stories. They are published on Amazon kindle and smashwords.ย 

I am in the process of a new WIP for Nanowrimo. It is a paranormal romance and no itโ€™s not vampires or werewolves lol

Report Reply

Reply by Mrs. Colleen M Tice

posted

Hi my name is Mrs Colleen M Tice I have 2 novels and a series of short stories published on Amazon kindle and smashwords. I am doing Nanowrimo and I am writing a paranormal romance novelย 

Report Reply

Reply by Zack Riley

posted

Howdy all, I'm Zack, usually I'm found on twitter telling dad jokes under the tag @coldheart_prj
I'm a Dyslexic sci-fi and fantasy author. At the moment I have two novels in the works. A Sci-fi/Dystopian novel the title of Guardians, I will be querying in 2022. The other a fantasy novel in early stages of edits. I have three audio drama's Ellie, the mule bred, The last Brachyurus and Lydus's moral Dilemma. I write for a ghostwriting firm on the side.

Report Reply

Reply by Kat Hellebore

posted

Firstly, what is your penname? Trippy Kayy, for now

Do you have multiple? Noย 
ย What are your experiences with writing and/or publishing?
I have been writing since middle school, but this is the first time I want to be published and make a career out of it!ย 

ย What genres and age ranges do you write?
I don't have a specific genre I work with..mainly fantasy or fiction but I have other ideas. Age range, I guess 13+

ย What tropes do you enjoy?
ย I don't even know, honestly!ย 

I would appreciate a friend, and maybe gain some readers or fans. I've been posting my story on Wattpad, to gain readers and maybe make a career with wattpad, and on quotev, the first site I joined at the middle school age and found people like me and where I tend to find the most readers.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by thefountain

posted

hey all,
my name is thefountain and I`m eighteen.

I have not officially published any of my work yet, since I am still in the process of writing/ editing.

For the last eight years, I have written orignal stories in a variety of different settings and genres- however, I mostly focus on youth romance and LGBTQIA+ friendly content, mixed with angst and the discussion of political, religious and identity problems.

At the moment, I am writing two novels. While some passages are already done, others still need to be rewritten.

Here, I hope to find an exchange with people that too have the passion of creating :)

Report Reply

Reply by XxXEmo_BxddieXxX

posted

My name is Kara Ashley Noel which is what I go by on all my work , I write novels, poetry and songs and blogs. I am currently working on a novel which is fantasy fiction of course my favorite; and it's called Underland Rose which is hopefully coming out this year. The back of the book description below:ย 

Aspen is a brilliant young women who is part witch and part wolf. Being accepted into a academy of her dreams means great adventures ahead. Little does she know, there is also a great danger, and her future is sealed.ย 

Aspen meets Blake, a prince who is also a vampire, and their attraction cannot be denied. However, their love is tested, and they must fight enemies of darkness to keep their friends, family, and love protected.ย 

Will their strength and powers be enough to vanquish the darkness, or will evil overcome the land they fight so hard to protect?

COMING SOON!.....

If interested please DM me on my Instagram : author_karaashleynoel and make sure to follow me on there as well since it's my author page.ย 

Thank-Youย 

Report Reply

Reply by Azura serein

posted

Heyy i haven't t yet decided my pen name but I intend it to be smt japanese i love writing fantasy and contemporary romance i have written stories but am not yet published my stories are mostly 18+ currently i am writing a retelling of a Greek myth of Zeus and hera it also includes Medusa so yhea

Report Reply

Reply by seumokii

posted

"Firstly, what is your penname? Do you have multiple? What are your experiences with writing and/or publishing? What genres and age ranges do you write? What tropes do you enjoy? Let us get to know you in all of your writer glory!"

my penname is seumoki. i only have one as of now. i am still a starter writer so i'm not sure if i'm even allowed to be in this sort of group. i write almost any genre and to a range of ages, i like more detailed stories but for fun to get my mind running i write little clips of stories i have in mind. all my planned books are WIPs for now because i am still experimenting with it all. i hope you guys don't mind taking me in!ย 

Report Reply

Reply by Alaina Grace

posted

Hello, fellow writers of the world!

I go by Alaina Grace aka alainagracepoetry. I write mostly poetry but dabble in the world of fantasy and short stories. I've been on this writing adventure since middle school and it's one of my many passions. My first poetry book is in progress and hopefully, be published soon! <3

Report Reply

Reply by Ainsley

posted

Hi!! I neglected to introduce myself when I first joined, since I wasn't entirely sure if I was gonna stick around SpaceHey. I'm Ainsley/"starlightelixir". I've been writing since I was a little kid--back then, I had original stories and fanfiction. I kind of dipped off from OC stuff as a teenager and stuck to fanfiction for a really long time. I'm back on original stuff now, though (while also working on fanfiction).

I have three main OC WIPs that I've got right now; all three have tentative names (because I like to name things at the last second), and I have the intention of making all three of them webnovels through Tapas. One of them has over 52 chapters planned, aha. One is simply a concept with characters, and the third has... A couple of chapters planned, but I'm not satisfied at all with how it looks as an outline, so... That's going to get revisited very soon.

I focus on queer and disabled characters most of the time, too (but what do you expect from someone who is disabled+queer, honestly). I really love writing things that fall under the horror and supernatural categories; there's usually a side of romance in most of my stories, but generally speaking, I don't really focus on that, you know? But I am a sucker for it, so it's almost inevitable.

My husband has written a book, though he's not gotten it published yet. He's almost done with the second book in the series, and from there he has more plans. I lowkey edit/beta read for him, too! Mostly spelling/grammar, as well as some pacing/flow edits.

Report Reply

Reply by Sparrow

posted

Penname- S.M.Klem

Experiences- I have been writing books since I was a little kid, I am currently working on a romance/fantasy with a huge plot twist at the end

Genres- I love to write about romance, fantasy, horror, and crime personally

Age ranges- 16 and older, mainly because I do write about violence and don't feel comfortable with anyone under 15 reading that

Tropes- I love enemies to lovers, forbidden love, gloomy and sunshine for romance; for any other genre,ย  though I love anything to do with exes coming back for revenge, perfect family isn't so perfect, and detective finding out that the Joe/Jane Doe of their case is either a family member or a past lover and it motivates them.

Writing is my passion and I love seeing all the different ideas on here!

Report Reply

Reply by Cathedralsburning

posted

Hii, I'm Cath, Pen Name Cathedral or Cathedralburning.ย 

I've been writing on and off since I was little. I've gotten back into writing since just before the lockdowns and have been writing consistency since. I've written a few parts of books / stories but have abandoned them as I've been changing and learning more about what style I enjoy writing. (Some are still out there and they haunt me, haha)ย 

I love writing Fantasy, action and adventure, romance and all things queer. Recently I've been focusing on writing fanfic, as I find it helps me define and practice my writing. I'm also working on script writing and am in love with the characters/plot I've decided on.ย 

I enjoy found family tropes, angst... a lot of angst. Yeah.ย 

I tend to write for 15+ Audiences as alot of my work has references to metal health and complex issues.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by Chris Johnson

posted

I use my own name as a pen-name -- Chris Johnson.

Living in Brisbane, a stone's throw from a nearby lake and surrounded by trees, I write speculative fiction that blends science fiction with fantasy and other elements, including horror.

Although first published in 2016, I have been writing since 1987.

You can find my works in most good bookstores and online at Amazon, Kobo, GooglePlay, Apple, and my personal store at https://payhip.com/ChrisJohnsonAuthor or my in-progress blog at https://ChrisJohnsonAuthor.blogspot.com

If you want a taste of some (for free), please come along to check out Deja Two or The Trick.

I'm looking forward to discussing different things about writing with this group -- away from Facebook (yeah!)

Report Reply

Reply by Elliot

posted
updated

Hello! I currently do not have a pen name but am working towards finding one that is right for me.

I am writing a dystopian science-fiction book set in what used to be the United States in the very beginning. Though I am still in the middle of my first draft I have confidence that I can make it through.ย 

I love all sorts of tropes but you can never go wrong with a good enemies to lovers- or when the hero becomes the villain.

Iโ€™ve been writing ever since I was a little kid and can never get keep the stories in my head. Most of my stories come from dreams Iโ€™ve had which Iโ€™m honestly kind of proud of because that means I donโ€™t have to work as much on plot. :)

Report Reply

Reply by Luke T

posted

My name is Luke! Im currently working on the first book which i am planning to actually publish - Code Zero. Its all about science fiction (living in a simulaton), action, mystery but also at the same time about everyone is the hero of their own story by splitting the book into two characters who are fighting against each other but while presenting every character as the hero when its their turn to be the focus.

I love taking old ideas and "remixing" them and all! Thats also how this book came to be!
I guess we will see each other around here!

Cheers!

Report Reply

Reply by Ellye

posted
updated

HELLO :D I'm Ellye, and I'm currently working on a small novel! I'm seeking help to get started. I have alredy started the world construction, but nothing over it. Hope I can find people to help me emprove my writting. I wrote only one short story, but I didn't enjoy the final result, thus, I'm here look for some help.

Speaking of that one work I did, I never published it, it was sort of childish, and with an rushed ending... It was called "Doom's Day Doma".

Welp, I'm into some thriller themed books, or more serious comics, like MAUS (very good book btw, I recommend it), and I like to express my views on the world.

Report Reply