« Back to the Obscure Music Forum

How do you find new music?

I'm always trying to combine genres and concepts from music theory to see if they exist anywhere, usually you can go down a rabbit hole this way on bandcamp, or someone has made an obscure playlist on youtube. But my favorite is when I find someone I wasn't even looking for that is way out there yet just does it for me.

Report Topic

123 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Bagelbugz.exe

posted

every noise at once

I LOVE Everynoise.com so so much XD 

Its really fun because its basically just a huge webpage filled with genre titles! Click on any of the names and it will play a snippet of a random song from that genre and if you like it you can go deeper into the website for individual bands and albums of each genre! 

Its really fun for finding truly random/underground artists or finding more artists in a genre you like! 

Report Reply

Reply by Creature

posted

A lot of my favorite obscure artists are from randomly recommended videos on YouTube but for finding metal music specifically I search in the Encyclopedia Metallum

Report Reply

Reply by Ylen

posted

I discover through spotify or youtube, by the reccomendations 

Report Reply

Reply by Jaois:3

posted

yo me pongo en youtube a las 3 de la mañana intentando encontrar musica de como me siento :p

Report Reply

Reply by Scaacacsc

posted

rateyourmusic charts page

bandcamp tags

youtube channels

Report Reply

Reply by bbpoltergiest

posted
updated

youtube!!!! soundcloud!!!!!1

Report Reply

Reply by dove

posted

lots of ppl make public playlists and post them on their socials. :) i'd like to see some playlists posted here so i'm starting to make some to eventually share ~ 

Report Reply

Reply by nico:3

posted

rateyourmusic i find to be rly good i just look at the chart of a genre im interested in listening to and i just pick which ever looks the most interesting:P 

Report Reply

Used to use last.fm exclusively to find new music. Nowadays, its combing through bandcamp, finding an obscure song then seeing if spotify can make a playlist around it. I also find some cool stuff through random instagram ads. 

Once in while I'll go through random mixtapes on soundcloud, or a random site.

Report Reply

Reply by BlockheadsTongs

posted
updated

I just use Forgotify tbh

Report Reply

Reply by xX*froggo*Xx

posted

i use everynoise.com. It has most genres of music, bands that are in that genre, and similar genres

Report Reply

Reply by moonside

posted

digging on soundcloud, spotify radio, soulseek, discord server music sections, youtube recommended, friends, tiktok, movies... uhhh yea thats usually how i find things.

Report Reply

Reply by moonside

posted

digging on soundcloud, spotify radio, soulseek, discord server music sections, youtube recommended, friends, tiktok, movies... uhhh yea thats usually how i find things.

Report Reply

Reply by Bearstof Bearzabot

posted

every noise at once, looking through bandcamp tags, music discord servers, soulseek, local shows

Report Reply

Reply by bisko

posted

Vintage obscura radio, last.fm suggestions, YouTube recommends(rarely).. .

Report Reply

Reply by shipskunk

posted

Bandcamp!! 

You can search by genre, location, etc. And most the money goes to the artists. Great place for buying digital albums, CDs, and vinyls from obscure artists.

https://bandcamp.com/

Report Reply

Reply by Mae

posted

I find a lot of neat music through the Welcome to Night Vale weather

Report Reply

Reply by 𖤐

posted

You can try to dig for records if you have a record player or something to play music. You can always try thrift 

Report Reply

Reply by Meem

posted

Tapefear and Forgetify are made for underground stuff so i browse on there. Also music rabbit holes just going though who collabed w who until theres totally new things!! Media soundtracks also are great sometimes they get no plays because ppl dont notice them. Also ask friends if anyone they know has a music career, ive so far found my teachers and classmates music this way

Report Reply

Reply by garmadon

posted

when online i have a rule of listening to EVERY single song i come across, at least once. ive found youtubes algorithm has picked up on this and i often get recommended random songs with less than like 50 views.

i also like to go thrifting and finding random cds. ive found so many of my fav songs just by picking up a random cd and thrift stores are usually desperate to get rid of excess cds, so theyre a bargain :D

Report Reply

Reply by Koltin

posted

I guess mine are 
Youtube, Soulseek NS, Discogs, Metal-archives.
Youtube mostly, Discogs to see if there are other stuff released by the band ie demos, splits. Soulseek to download those releases.
If I cant find it on youtube, slsk or just love the album I'll buy the psychical media on discogs if reasonable priced.

Report Reply

Reply by izzy

posted

Aside from recommendations from friends, lately Ive been going through bandcamp suggestions. They tend to have it a bit more obscure there. Started with the Ultrakill soundtrack and just kept going lol, has produced some fun results

Report Reply

Reply by IISnowshyII

posted
updated

Dont know if anyone has mentioned this already, but turntabel.fm is where I find a lot of new music. Its a place where people can take turns being ''djs'' so while thier up there sharing their music, u can sit in the room and listen. It will also save the music that was recently played in a list, with links to the song on youtube spotify and all the rest. There are dj rooms for speific music genres, but I like the all music mix room the best :) Also, on my youtube im subbed to the various artist tag, so my algorythem always shows me music that got uploaded by like 7 hours ago with 3 views or a 6 year old video with 1000 views. most of it is shit, but every now and then itll recommend something cool. hope this helps!

Report Reply

Reply by WinterGael

posted

oddly enough, youtube! not exactly sure if it's just a me thing, but youtube has a habit of recommending me obscure music (<1k views even) while randomly listening. one of the few times the algorithm is useful for something, lol

Report Reply

Reply by Sardonic The Hedgehog

posted

Spacehey has been an excellent source for obscure music I wouldn't normally encounter.

Report Reply

Reply by Cokefan53

posted

Absolute BOOMER take, but for me it's CD hunting. And also Spotify recommended. Those two allow for new artists or projects by fellow artists I already know to be discovered.

Report Reply

Reply by lucid

posted

i tend to click through youtube and bandcamp. i usually click on things that have 500 or less views to find more obscure things. it also helps to put your location into bandcamp and find local things that way. 

Report Reply

Reply by downtowncow

posted

My favourite place for finding obscure music is on the r/Lostwave subreddit, sometimes you can find full songs that are just incredible!

Report Reply

Reply by LILY!!!

posted

i like to find new music through magazines! New Noise is my favorite new music magazine that interviews tons of bands that not many people have listened to. a lot of it is heavier but they cover a pretty dynamic range from ska to black metal to indie rock to hardcore, it’s all there. the magazine is relatively affordable too compared to other magazines that are like 13-16 dollars, new noise is only like 5.99. 

Aside from newnoise, getting into your local music scene is also really promising for some stuff you might not have heard before. i live in an are where a lot of smaller bands roll through and play shows from all around the area, so even if some of them aren’t local, they’re still small and affordable to see play. 

Report Reply

Reply by 🦇 𝗠𝗮𝘁𝘁 ˖⁺。˚🕸

posted

i mostly use Dubolt
hope it helps !!

Report Reply

Reply by aleph4

posted

usually youtube and stuff or I scroll through bandcamp tags until i find something good

Report Reply

Reply by RealLife_Zombie

posted

i find all my obscure stuff on youtube, you just gotta let it find you.

Report Reply

Reply by Wettsocc

posted

I usually find new shit just by walking into a record store and looking at the covers, I found beck and pierce the veil like this.

Report Reply

Reply by Wettsocc

posted

I usually find new shit just by walking into a record store and looking at the covers, I found beck and pierce the veil like this.

Report Reply

Reply by jackson

posted

rateyourmusic was my heart and soul and everything and thats still how i find music. they banned me tho lol

Report Reply

Reply by jackson

posted

rateyourmusic was my heart and soul and everything and thats still how i find music. they banned me tho lol

Report Reply

Reply by Marlie

posted

bandcamp, specifically the newest category underneath rock tags. you find a lot of stuff that nobody listens to and is forgotten, which is sad, but ive been able to find new artists to support and show my friends by spending a few hours on bandcamp out of boredom. 

Report Reply

Reply by boshi

posted

Rateyourmusic.com is by far the best way to find music that I have used. Everyone should use it! Spotify discover weekly is good, too.

Report Reply

Reply by captainfantasy

posted

I try to hang around of discord servers / communities on various socials into similar music, and tend to get a lot of recommendations from that. I browse RYM occasionally and if I find something interesting, I'll put it in the pile of stuff to listen to. I will also sometimes let Spotify autoplay things and sometimes it won't suck. Oh, and I try to find artists adjacent somehow to other ones I like, or occupying similar scenes

Report Reply

Reply by tori <3

posted

One of my favourite ways to find new music and support artists is to go to local music festivals!

You can find so many tallented musicians of all genres and seeing them live makes it 10x better

Report Reply

Reply by Erin

posted

i love everynoise.com

Report Reply

Reply by Truant Kids

posted

I go on a drive and look up words I see while out and about

Report Reply

Reply by ru may🌷

posted

on spotify i go through a lot of user's profiles, and save any playlists that i might be interested in. i've found hundreds of really cool shoegaze songs this way as well as many other groups and genres, so i fully recommend trying playlists made by other people!!

Report Reply

Reply by swatdero

posted

Usually it's something I hear on the Internet radio, like these stations:
http://radiogugelhopf.ch
https://xwaveradio.org

Report Reply

Reply by eleanor!!

posted
updated

youtube rabbit holes, spotify (discover weekly or just diving into random artists), last.fm (again with random artists), bandcamp
i think the only thing i really never even touch is RYM just because of the really elitist nature of the site, but last.fm is pretty bad too

Report Reply

Reply by mei

posted

the every noise at once website is so good

Report Reply

Reply by aba

posted
updated

As much as I hate Tik tok for speeding up the life span of albums, it's also exposed me to new genres and young indie artists that I probably would never hear irl. If not that, I eat out a lot and shazaam everything I hear(cringe whatever )  because the bartenders usually have great taste! Also just hanging around places that would play stuff geared towards music snobs and stuff lol

I also have these things called "Music Night" with my friends where we all play new music/music we've been obsessed with lately, and talk about why we like it!

Report Reply

Reply by thingerthing

posted

usually battle of the bits, or newgrounds, or just utube recommendations where i go down a hole of songs that have less and lesser views

Report Reply

Reply by XiJinping

posted

Me and a few friends have a group chat on discord, we have something we call "music sesh" where we share music in a voice channel with each other. We also created a playlist on spotify that we update whenever a new song is shared. It would be a great for some people to find new music they like. Also spotify random songs added as suggestions at the bottom of your playlists.

Report Reply

Reply by Funkybubbe

posted

This is gonna sound pretentious asf, but going to live shows, deep diving into an artist (often times you’ll find new stuff through their inspo), playlists, reddit, and lastly, buying random cool looking vinyls or tapes.

Report Reply