« Back to the Obscure Music Forum

How do you find new music?

I'm always trying to combine genres and concepts from music theory to see if they exist anywhere, usually you can go down a rabbit hole this way on bandcamp, or someone has made an obscure playlist on youtube. But my favorite is when I find someone I wasn't even looking for that is way out there yet just does it for me.

Report Topic

14 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by melomemo

posted
updated

I find new music using a website called Gnoosic. You input three of your favourite artists and then the webiste's algorithm predicts what you'd like based on your inputs. It's awesome and I have found a few artists that I wouldn't of heard of otherwise!

Here's the link: https://www.gnoosic.com/

Report Reply

Reply by Relish Ubiquitous

posted
updated

A lot of the time music finds me somehow.

But I also do a lot of research into different things.

I gained a lot of musical knowledge just from crate digging and reading the liner notes of records to see who produced what and who was on what album.  This is mostly for pre 2000s stuff though.

I still recommend that in the record stores that still exist.  That used to be where you found out about certain kinds of music just by hanging out and chatting with people.

Report Reply

Reply by int3rn3tgirl

posted

I usually go on rabbit holes in YouTube’s and Spotify’s algorithms.

but Spotify is more fun because I typically use a method where I go to an artists page and listen to the branches of the similar artists listed below and then so on and so on

Report Reply

Reply by JudgeBigMansion

posted

Guitar Hero! Or these days, Clone Hero.

There's a very active charting scene, and a lot of people chart a lot of music; most of which I've never heard of. It's a great way to have fun and discover new tunes!

Report Reply

Reply by Valerie

posted

Youtube! Or my brother lol he finds music through spotify and shows it to me

Report Reply

Reply by Missive massive

posted

Discover amazing new music and directly support the artists who make it.

Report Reply

Reply by Ian

posted

I just browse a Bandcamp tag and wait until I find something good.

Report Reply

Reply by rain

posted

Reply by TomatoesCantHurtYou

posted

i try to check out local bands posting their songs on reddit, sometimes you can find cool stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by Shadow Bliss

posted

If its not recommended, if its not a friend's band or one I'm already pretty familiar with, I usually try to find something I like on bandcamp.

I remember I found 3 bands in 2020 - Fresh, Bad Pollyanna and Night Flowers. All three were completely random bands that I just thought sounded okay. I ended up loving all three.

Report Reply

Reply by Wacky Alex

posted

Check out FunHouse Radio!  FunHouseRadio.com

Report Reply

Reply by J@cki3

posted

I just lose myself in YouTube for a couple hours. 

Report Reply

Reply by Xephyra

posted
updated

YouTube mixes lead me to all kinds of unique songs. Here's a few :)

Report Reply

Reply by Arc

posted

i like to type in a random word into spotify and just listen to songs and artists from there. it's helped me find tons of awesome stuff!!!

Report Reply