« Back to the Obscure Music Forum

How do you find new music?

I'm always trying to combine genres and concepts from music theory to see if they exist anywhere, usually you can go down a rabbit hole this way on bandcamp, or someone has made an obscure playlist on youtube. But my favorite is when I find someone I wasn't even looking for that is way out there yet just does it for me.

Report Topic

123 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by mewp2002

posted
updated

I find new music using a website called Gnoosic. You input three of your favourite artists and then the webiste's algorithm predicts what you'd like based on your inputs. It's awesome and I have found a few artists that I wouldn't of heard of otherwise!

Here's the link: https://www.gnoosic.com/

Report Reply

Reply by Relish Ubiquitous

posted
updated

A lot of the time music finds me somehow.

But I also do a lot of research into different things.

I gained a lot of musical knowledge just from crate digging and reading the liner notes of records to see who produced what and who was on what album.  This is mostly for pre 2000s stuff though.

I still recommend that in the record stores that still exist.  That used to be where you found out about certain kinds of music just by hanging out and chatting with people.

Report Reply

Reply by JudgeBigMansion

posted

Guitar Hero! Or these days, Clone Hero.

There's a very active charting scene, and a lot of people chart a lot of music; most of which I've never heard of. It's a great way to have fun and discover new tunes!

Report Reply

Reply by Valerie

posted

Youtube! Or my brother lol he finds music through spotify and shows it to me

Report Reply

Reply by TomatoesCantHurtYou

posted

i try to check out local bands posting their songs on reddit, sometimes you can find cool stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by Shadow Bliss

posted

If its not recommended, if its not a friend's band or one I'm already pretty familiar with, I usually try to find something I like on bandcamp.

I remember I found 3 bands in 2020 - Fresh, Bad Pollyanna and Night Flowers. All three were completely random bands that I just thought sounded okay. I ended up loving all three.

Report Reply

Reply by Wacky Alex

posted

Check out FunHouse Radio!  FunHouseRadio.com

Report Reply

Reply by J@cki3

posted

I just lose myself in YouTube for a couple hours. 

Report Reply

Reply by Xephyra

posted
updated

YouTube mixes lead me to all kinds of unique songs. Here's a few :)

Report Reply

Reply by Captain Zonko

posted

I have started digging Soundcloud for a while now. They got loads of great, super unknown artists to discover and their algorithms work better than youtube or spotify because they don't focus on hype so much. 

Report Reply

Reply by KONSTANTIN

posted

I like digging around on spotify, going down the rabbit hole of artists listed as similar to ones that I already like.

Plus I just like going online and seeing what other people are checking out. I've found a lot of awesome artists just by seeing what my friends spotify status was on discord!

Report Reply

Reply by Hatch

posted

Look on other peoples spotify accounts! They'll have at least something you've never seen before

Report Reply

Reply by Lithobius Forficatus

posted
updated

last.fm is honestly still a great way to find interesting stuff. personally i dont like any algorithm systems anywhere, but you can just dig into its enormous artists database. there are many ways to detect if you should listen to the artist or not - such as tags and wiki pages. oh, and besides last.fm i like surfing through bandcamp pages - it's a wonderful service as well.

it's probably some kind of my questionable passion, but i find the searching process itself pretty fascinating - even if the final result won't appear being satisfying enough.

Report Reply

Reply by khloe isabella

posted

i browse on bandcamp !! if u go to artists you already like, it'll give pretty great recs. 

Report Reply

Reply by SE7EN Ω

posted

depressive 3am youtube spirals will generally provide the absolute goods for me

Report Reply

Reply by absentChronicler

posted

I usually browse /mu/, last.fm and bandcamp and just listen to whatever i can find, recently i found out about Kayo Dot and love how they can make metal so calm and soothing.

Report Reply

Reply by Nikita

posted

There are some YouTube channels I like that post music from the most popular to the most obscure (Ultradiskopanorama, USSR MT). It's all pretty old so it's got that quality of being forgotten, too. There's also a page on VK I'll check out occasionally that posts a lot of music left on reel-to-reel and other difficult media.

Usually I'll look at an artist I like on the YouTube channels and check the VK page for the full albums. I'll also buy random compilation tapes from the 90's and find artists that way. There are a lot of hidden gems on Lithuanian compilation tapes, if you're into that kind of pop!

I have a friend on another website who asks for transcriptions of various English-language songs, too, so I've been getting a healthy dose of HI-NRG/Italo disco that I didn't even know existed.

Report Reply

Reply by Rooy

posted

Spotify Weekly thing, really. Sometimes it sucks but most of the times it's accurate. Like, really accurate

Report Reply

Reply by ಠ益ಠ rob ಠ益ಠ

posted

One way i traverse music genres is to find the discogs entry for the album i'd like to find similar music to and then go through it's Label/Genre/Artist tags. I love discogs for finding new music because  of all the sorting options available - it's a great way to quickly explore entire subgenres and artistic movements bc of that. Just dont get scammed lol

Report Reply

Reply by Geminithugbaby

posted

I usually fall into the rabbit holes on various dsp's or websites like yt, sc, or bc or I ll just make my own take a listen 

Report Reply

Reply by Hatefulnateful

posted

Spotify radio option

Report Reply

Reply by killrXtofu

posted

Between Spotify's Discover Weekly and Tastedive, I find all kinds of new music I end up enjoying. 

Report Reply

Reply by camegube

posted

Sample hunting is hands down still my favorite way to find new stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by beardy 🦎

posted
updated

lately it's been spotify's algorithms that lead me to new webs of artists, i get pretty fixated when i find something i like so i dig up every morsel and connection ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by Kee ♥

posted

soulseek and discogs have been ruling my life for the better part of 6 years now tbh. if i'm in the mood for just like... a genre or concept, i type it into soulseek and just randomly download a whole bunch of stuff. or by looking up a song i like and going through compilation albums it's on to see if there's anything similar i like and if i don't like any of it, i pitch it lol

Report Reply

Reply by swchr

posted

I haven't put much effort into finding new music recently, to be honest. Just been listening to the daily mix on Spotify every now and then and I'll find a nice song or two to add to the playlist.

Report Reply

Reply by Morg ฅ/ᐠ。ꞈ。ᐟ\ฅ

posted

find a creator i know a song or a few from, and shuffle all their music to find more from them, then look at recommendations.

also look at peoples playlists, and browse YouTube recommendations!

Report Reply

Reply by moonside

posted

the beauty of typing bullshit or just clicking til something cool pops up on soulseek/soundcloud/bandcamp/radiooo, finding sumn i like, looking the artist up on spotify and youtube, and using either the radio function on spotify or just letting the youtube wormhole consume me. that and just being in online communities where one of the homies will just send me somthing they think id like and that triggering said youtube/spotify wormhole when i start doing a deep dive on whatever i can find online about them, then that leading me to another artist and the whole process repeats again! lmfaooo

Report Reply

Reply by Bisexual

posted

I usually search microgenres into bandcamp :D Or i find artist through animators! usually only one song by the artist blows up and then the rest don't break 25k views.

Report Reply

Reply by Julie 808

posted

Ask your friends to send you playlists. 

Report Reply

Reply by Vegan Prepper

posted

Fucking Pandora. I have been using the same Pandora account for 10 years so and I have thousands of "thumbs-up" songs. It knows me too well sometimes lol.

Report Reply

Reply by Sredni Vashtar

posted

I browse Bandcamp's genre tags, look at the rosters of labels on Discogs, read interesting RYM lists, and (where applicable) check out the "similar artists" feature on Apple Music. I also tend to look up artists and labels if they come up in interviews with people whose work I find intriguing.

Report Reply

Reply by Wacky Alex

posted

<h2>Happy Holidays!</h2>Need some wacky (x)mas music?
► <a href="https://funhouseradio.com/">FunHouseRadio.com</a>

Report Reply

Reply by Pim

posted

Depends.

Usually they are recommendations by friends.

Sometimes I stumble across stuff. For example, Spotify's "Fans also like" section on each artist's page is great; the lower the monthly listener count, the more obscure the recommendations. Found some gems through that.

If I am really bored and I have time to spare, I'll literally type random words into Spotify and scroll a very good while and just randomly listen! Since I'm into almost every genre, this method works for me. It is very ineffective, though (like I said, I'll do it if I'm really bored haha).

Report Reply

Reply by garlicbaby

posted

i love to look at bandcamp's live bying feed  and open all the interesting album covers. ive  found some of my favorite artists this way. its a bit time consuming but its like looking though a bargain bin at the record store :)

Report Reply

Reply by rai

posted

i recommend everynoise.com if you want to find genres you haven't found or just find out what genre sounds like

Report Reply

Reply by Pai Sho Cajun

posted

One that I've found pretty effective is NPR's Tiny Desk concerts and Paste Magazine's music videos.  Both of these channels have such broad range from guest to guest that you never know what's coming next.

Report Reply

Reply by Buffly

posted
updated

I like to go down rabbit holes on bandcamp and sound cloud, along with youtube.
Sometimes ill see videos online recommending bands and thats usually a great place to start, just search the band and go on a hunt from there.
I also listen to the radio sometimes and there I find songs I've never heard of.

I also do this late at night and for some reason the later it is the better luck I have.

Report Reply

Reply by Sirakh

posted

By giving us a try. Our album is embedded on our profile.

Report Reply

Reply by gauntykey

posted

My best way is falling asleep while listening to something and waking up to something crazy bc of the algo lolol

Report Reply

Reply by halfaxa

posted

this youtuber anthony fantano posts music reviews and i give a listen to what he likes some of his reviews are accurate but some albums that he hates i love but it still is a really good way to find music 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝐍𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐢

posted

Honestly, because I’m a dancer, I’ll discover new music from my coaches and other teams (normally when we’re at competition or an event). Then I just take that song and go down a rabbit hole.

If that doesn’t work, I just search up or mindlessly scroll Spotify

Report Reply

Reply by 𝐍𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐢

posted
updated

Honestly, because I’m a dancer, I’ll discover new music from my coaches and other teams (normally when we’re at competition or an event). Then I just take that song and go down a rabbit hole.

If that doesn’t work, I just search up or mindlessly scroll Spotify

Report Reply

Reply by Boogie

posted

everytime i come across any sort of post about music i don't know i ss or save it. If i see a neat album cover in a record store or anything I take a picture

:)

Report Reply

Reply by ariel X_x

posted

most of the time if im on youtube i listen to one of my favorite songs and scroll down to the recomended, thts how o found most of my artist and bands now XD

Report Reply

Reply by GreyExists

posted

i usually just go down rabbit holes and find artists that other people like that i might for hours 

Report Reply

Reply by kate

posted

mostly through word of mouth or chatrooms on soulseek,

Report Reply

Reply by kai ✧˚ · .

posted

youtube recommendations or clicking on the "people also listen to" things on spotify a bunch of times until i see smth that looks interesting usually lol and sometimes my discover weekly on there shows me some stuff too

Report Reply

Reply by tweaknout

posted

I usually find a cool artist I like or a genre I am interested in then just go down a rabbit hole of similar artists and what other listeners like 

Report Reply

Reply by Amie<3

posted

i look at yo momma

Report Reply