« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

Finally got around to making my own profile editor

Posted by Tommy Panzram

posted
updated

Forum: Web, HTML, Tech

Since joining SpaceHey I've been using CodePen to edit my layouts. The way I've always pulled this off is clunky and I've always hated it (don't ask. it's not pretty.). So, I finally sat down yesterday and started making the profile editor I've always wanted access to. I'm now at a point where I think it's in a good place to share a demo with you all and get some feedback! The demo at the bottom of this post shows making small edits to a profile and then grabbing full layouts from the Layouts page to preview them in the editor.

Here is the current list of features:
-Able to add code to any box and have the results appear in the preview pane
-Can copy the text to your clipboard via a button above each box to quickly move the text to your profile settings
-Separate CSS box from the rest of the boxes to provide a much easier workflow. When you copy the About Me box the text in the CSS box gets added to the top of the copied text in a Style tag.

Here are the features I want to complete before I throw this thing out in to the wild:
-CSS reference window where you can easily grab references to default SpaceHey profile elements without having to use the inspector (this is the Quick CSS option in the demo).
-HTML beautifier because you know stuff gets out of hand sometimes and you just need a little prettiness to keep your sanity.
-A window with a field to add your HTML with the style tags in it to separate to the About Me box and CSS box so you can easily modify existing profiles.

Well, let me know what you all think, and if you have any feature ideas let me know!

Edit 6/14/2021:

The prototype is now live at: https://heroin-bob.github.io/SpaceHeyLayoutEditor/! I'll be adding a roadmap soon to keep track of existing and coming features.

Edit 6/14/2021 (again):

Roadmap is there :)

Report Topic

0 Replies