« Back to the Guitarists Forum

Most inspiring artist when you satrted playing and whos inspiring now

Posted by Sean

posted
updated

Forum: Guitarists Group

Who inspired you when you started playing and who inspires you now?

For me it started with Jimi Hendrix and a special mention to John fruciante and now I'd say Frank Zappa and a special mention to Adrien belew.

Also Johnny Marr kicks ass along with Fripp, and Eddie Hazel, Yvette Young I could just keep going haha

Report Topic

22 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Gary Sixx

posted

The people who inspired me to play was Stevie T, Eddie Van Halen, Jared Dines, and Herman Li.

Report Reply

Reply by ThisIsHistory

posted

At first it was mainly guys like Van Halen and Steve Howe, but the real turning point was when I started playing in actual bands.
Skyrocketed my ability and it's kept me trying to improve and innovate ever since.

Report Reply

Reply by Julez

posted

For me it started with Slash when I was about 9 yrs old. He was the first guitar player that I recognized and liked.

Now Johnny Marr is an inspiration, Fripp's work on the Bowie records, too. I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now.

Report Reply

Reply by Christopher Fredrickson

posted

I saw Van Halen in 1995 in concert and Edward was the reason I started playing.  I put the guitar away for 15 years and started relearning a few months ago.  And now it is a plethora of different guitarists from different genres.  I’m not a John Mayer fan but I do love his guitar tone, there is also Anthony Wilson, Jim Hall and George Benson in terms of jazz, then there is Buckethead in the rock category as well as people like Paul Gilbert.  There is Tim Pearce and others 

Report Reply

Reply by Lyrian Space Frequencies

posted

A few names that come to mind are Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Andy LaRocque, Chuck Schuldiner, Yngwie Malmsteen, Vinnie Moore, Tony Macalpine, Shawn Lane, Robbie Basho, John Mclaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Vernon Reid, Vinnie Vincent. Other than that it's nature, art and life in general that act as inspiration.

Report Reply

Reply by Pippin

posted

When I first started playing it would of been Herman Li of DragonForce. Mainly because one day when he was doing a giveaway on his twitch for some new Fishman pickups, I won. Nowadays it would be Nick Sadler from the band Daughters. The thing I like most about them is that they like to do heavy stuff with the high end of their guitars. 

Report Reply

Reply by Star Cloister (Matt)

posted

Steve Howe was a big inspiration for me, but right now my favorite guitarist is Steve Hackett. He's not the most wild guitar player out there by any means, but I love his sound so much!

Report Reply

Reply by Mercury

posted

The people who inspired me to start playing and who inspires me now are the same people lol,, frank iero and ray toro from my chemical romance continue to inspire me to this day. They are such good players each with their own style of writing. 

Report Reply

Reply by Josh

posted
updated

For me. It would have to be Daron Malakian from System of a Down. He's not what you would call technical. But System's music is what pushed me to pick up a guitar again and really start learning how to play guitar. I will say tho that Tom Morello from Rage Againt the Machine is a really kick ass guitar player too.

Report Reply

Reply by ꪶ꠸ꪶ꠸ꪻꫝρ꠸ᦓᥴꫀᦓ

posted

Well i'm heavily inspired by Hole, Mazzy Star, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Pj Harvey, and The Cocteau Twins Etc. Different sounds with a bit pop influence, distortion, and noise. You know? I'm Embarrassed to say that nirvana convinced me to learn guitar lol. 

Report Reply

Reply by 【Megaalith】

posted

My grandpa is the reason I wanted to become a musician but Iommi, Dimebag, and Schuldiner are why I play metal. Also gotta give props to Adam Dutkiewicz, has to be my favorite of all time

Report Reply

Reply by j0nd4mus1c14n

posted

I started off with a guitar coach and after that, no one comes into mind within a few months. Until I tried learning guitar riffs and techniques where I would find what inspire me later on. Originally I was inspired to play guitar by the name of Kyle Hunter, former guitarist of Protosequence. Then when I thought "Hmm, I want my playing style to be much more advanced but playable." And so many artists come by and I was inspired through most of them, but to name a few that are my main inspirations, I guess I would go with Daron Malakian, Mario Carmarena and Erik Hansel, Thomas Erak, Yvette Young, and Paul Gilbert to name a few.

Report Reply

Reply by Laighto

posted

Kurt cobain, Eddie vedder, metallica, those are the guys that made me wanna play.

Now I'm not really a guitar player but I use alot of guitar in my songs, but the people that make me still wanna play now are Mikael Akerfekdt and Steven wilson.

Report Reply

Reply by XxAcidFeverxX

posted

The person who inspired me to start playing was Eric Clapton but right now it's cool ppl like Ray Toro because i like him a lot!

Report Reply

Reply by tori <3

posted
updated

my inspirations were and still are jimi hendrix, johnny greenwood, ray toro, frank iero and johnny marr

Report Reply

Reply by andrew

posted

mine was (embarrassingly) kurt cobain, i was in love w nirvana and i realized kinda "holy shit. i can learn guitar. amazeballs" and overall i felt like kurt's entire story kinda resonated with me, and his (nirvana's) music made me feel super seen. i wanted to play guitar cuz i wanted to make music that made other kids feel that way too

Report Reply

Reply by Laighto

posted

For me it's steven wilson and mikael akerfeldt, not your typical guitarist star, but that's how I wanna be and how I am using guitar in my music, just the basic stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by Bandit

posted

Dimebag Darrell, though Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix are arguably “better” then him, i still think of Dime as the best guitarist. Not just when it comes to the skill itself, but the way he put emotion, and feel into it. He didn’t just play guitar, his guitar sang, it told a story. You know, he just ate, slept, and breathed his guitar. His dedication, his passion, his heart and soul for the guitar has ALWAYS inspired me.

Report Reply

Reply by sasquatch (wicketmaster)

posted

Steve Howe inspired me from the beginning, now Dave Mustaine and Steve Howe still :D

Report Reply

Reply by Hera

posted

hell yeah, mine are srv, jimi, slash, satch, tyler bryant. so many and always changing! :)

Report Reply

Reply by susanne

posted

when i started it was george harrison, chuck berry, jimi hendrix and sister rosetta tharpe. now its kurt cobain, courtney love, johnny greenwood, joni mitchell and ed o brien

Report Reply

Reply by IamkurdtFUCKINGkobain

posted

Kurdt kobain,led belly, John Lennon, eh . I was 8 when I went I was watching nirvana play at the Paramount on my moms phone lol . all of a sudden I got up from my bed,went to my closet and grabbed a old untuned,broken guitar. Ive been playing every since .

Report Reply