« Back to the Guitarists Forum

I guess you can't comment on bulletins?

Posted by ThisIsHistory

posted
updated

Forum: Guitarists Group

I'm just going to repost Patrick (EmoShep)'s bulletin below.

I like that there's a dedicated group for guitarists, so I figured I'd try and start a conversation.

Some simple questions I have for you all: what styles of music do you enjoy
playing? Are there any you don't play yet, but would like to learn? And
of course, do you have a favorite guitar player (if so, who)?

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ThisIsHistory

posted

And to reply myself, I mostly play alt, 90s style emo, punk with my band, but there was a period where I was really into prog for awhile and there's a surprising amount of overlap between those styles.

I've been interested in getting even better at moving around the board, and honestly my improvisation could use work too. The best thing for that would probably with jazz I guess? I'm at least a little familiar with jazz styling since I also play saxophone.

I don't think there's anyone I really look up to for their guitar playing.

Report Reply

Reply by Julez

posted
updated

Hi.

Thanks ThisIsHistory for reposting this, so we can comment.

- what styles of music do you enjoy  playing?

A lot. Punk, Funk, Soul, Indie, Reggae, Ska.... I'm not a metal guy. But I started to enjoy playing Jazz, which I hated at first.

> Are there any you don't play yet, but would like to learn?

No, I play everything I want to play. Learning how to play stuff is part of the journey.

> do you have a favorite guitar player (if so, who)?

I love what Johnny Marr did in TheSmiths. Some of Bowie's guitar players are also great (Earl Slick, Adrian Belew,...). And Steve Stevens. And Slash.

The other usual suspects (Joe Satriani, Bonamassa, Yngwie,...) are absolutely not for me.

Report Reply

Reply by Patrick (EmoShep)

posted

Thanks to ThisIsHistory for posting this over here. I should've caught that earlier.

Also, thanks for your replies. Always interesting to talk about this kind of stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by Sean

posted

I play a lot of funk and 70s prog type stuff, blues and classic rock stuff. As for genres I haven't learned yet I wouldn't mind getting better at slide. My favourite guitarist is Frank Zappa

Report Reply

Reply by Gary Sixx

posted

It's perfectly okay to comment on bulletins. :)

Report Reply

Reply by ThisIsHistory

posted

Oh yeah, it looks like bulletin comments are working now.

Report Reply

Reply by Christopher Fredrickson

posted

Rock, jazz, blues, adult contemporary 

Report Reply

Reply by j0nd4mus1c14n

posted

Some math rock, a little bit of black metal, metalcore, and some thrash. Sometimes I would just play basic chords from pop music.

Report Reply