« Back to the Daoists Forum

How did you get into Daoism?

I was carrying a copy of the Tao Te Ching with me a decade and some time ago which I had got from a used bookstore almost as a curiosity.  Before that I had taken a cursory look at Western philosophy and comparative religions and I had a background in Roman Catholicism prior so it may have been here where my interest in Eastern thought began to grow.  The translation of the Tao Te Ching I had was from Ellen M Chen who in the book incorporates a lot of Western philosophy which made understanding the basic ideas somewhat easier.  I found that the Tao Te Ching matched a lot of how I already felt versus simply just ideas that seemed worth pursuing.  

Time went by and my interest in Daoism stayed in the background.  I had gotten some other books which were methods and techniques but at the time I lacked the discipline to really put them into practice.  It seemed like there was something there but it wouldn't be until much later that I approached the subject with more intention.

I got back into Taoism as a focus of study and started reading books by Livia Kohn who is a preeminent scholar in the field.  Ellen M Chen also recently put out a book on Daoist ontology which I highly recommend.  I got into other writers (Eva Wong, Wilhelm, Vespe, other translations and commentaries of various texts, etc.) and started to read some of the Classics (There's so much about Daoism history, cosmology, cultural impact, etc. which I found endlessly fascinating).  I then started getting more into the cultivation aspects and began Tai Chi and Qigong practice which I've found helpful in terms of health and mental clarity.   

Taken as a spiritual path I've found Daoist thought and ideals to be open and also light-hearted which is a quality I appreciate.  

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Mito7

posted

Started with Tai chi, meditation, then Qigong. These opened up a whole new way of thinking. My Sifu gave me a lot of knowledge on this, but your great reminders are awesome. 

Report Reply

Reply by Relish Ubiquitous

posted

That's interesting, I still haven't gotten properly into meditation other than short 5-10 minute standing or sitting breathing exercises before Tai Chi.  I feel like I'm still working on the breath.  I can do 5 organs Qigong and a couple of other various exercises but want to learn more Qigong forms eventually.

Report Reply

posted

That's cool.  I'm learning 37 form at the moment.  Might get more into old Yang style as time goes on.  I feel like an aspiring Daoist too and still figuring things out. 

I've read that Chinese religious identification can be seen as somewhat dissimilar to how it would be perceived in the west.  For example one could be a Daoist and a Confucian or a Daoist and a Buddhist and/or also observe local customs and deities.

I'm getting more into reading source texts (including Taijiquan classics) and studying internal concepts.  I think Western esotericism and Daoism share some similarities, particularly wicca (e.g., 5 elements, herbal lore) and also alchemy and hermeticism.

Report Reply

Reply by Phil

posted

I was always spiritual, but when I got sober, I really started to explore that side of me and Daoism really fit me right. For me Daoist thought, especially Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu really work hand in hand with my other efforts to make myself a better person.

Report Reply

posted

It's a journey!  There are many practical self-cultivation methods and ideas to be found in Daoism.  It teaches developing the patience to allow cloudy water to settle. 

Report Reply

Reply by Shawn.DUH

posted

I learned of Taoism, I picked up many books in my library and began to read. As I read and started to learn more I started to feel that the Dao Was a spiritual enlightening experience that made sense to me. I became a feng shui consultant after reading a few books on Dao I started to incorporate Tai Chi into my routine after reading more about Dao. I've always been my phone and respectful of this planet that we live on because currently this is the only earth that we have to live on. As I continue to explore Dao, I know that there will be many more enlightening experiences to come, There will be more Awakenings, And nature will continue to reveal to me what is meant for me. I learned that the Dao Is not so caught up in so many rules and regulations it is more or less the observance of the energetic flow and it's either you're going to go with that flow of energy or you going to go against that full of energy, As I continue to do my studies in Dao I'm sure I will learn more ways to direct, control, flow my energy In ways that are best for me, Without harming those who would have not harmed me while learning from Nature.

Report Reply