« Food and Restaurants Forum

Vegetarian food

I wanted us veggies to be included also after some new recipe ideas if you have any deep them below so I can try some tasty food 

Report Topic

25 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ellie <3

posted

i'm vegan but was veggie since age 7! If you haven't already tried BOSH! recipes I sooooooo recommend them - I own two of their cookbooks and use them constantly, and they post tonnes of recipes online too <3 

Report Reply

Reply by Britt paget

posted

I will have to give that a try thankyou for your suggestion 

Report Reply

Reply by CariadBach

posted

I recently tried making Seitan! Super versatile and despite my best efforts to fuck it up, it came out super tasty!?

Report Reply

Reply by Tina Daniels

posted

The edgy veg has some killer copycat fast food recipes !

Report Reply

Reply by TeXas Chance 817

posted

What CariadBach said!!!! Seitan is the bomb!!!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by Renee Morrison

posted

I am in desperate need of an amazing vegetarian chili recipe! I'm not much of a cook but I have tried multiple canned vegetarian chili's and they are the worse. There was even one my dog refused to eat! So I'd love to hear about any recipes that are worth making and not a soul crushing disapointment.

Report Reply

Reply by Mary

posted

Not sure if it will help, but I like my vegetarian chili. What I do, is use my own spices, I buy no salt added canned corn, and stewed tomatoes, and no salt kidney beans, with Beyond meat. I cut up some celery, bell pepper, and onion, saute it in the cumin, garlic powder, some chili powder, black pepper. When the vegetables are done cooking, I add them to the pot of stewed tomatoes and corn, cook the beyond meat in a separate pan, then after that's done, add it to the rest of the goodies, let it simmer for an extra 45 minutes until it's done... I'll have to grab the recipe that I follow. It would help a lot! LOL. 

Report Reply

Reply by Tayla Gaffney Blake

posted

I don't actually have a recipe for it or a photo (I forgot to take one), I kind a just threw things together, but I did a Moroccan vegancrab cakes

It's pretty much potato, Moroccan spices, breadcrumbs, mustard and chickpeas

Report Reply

Reply by JD_Jakie

posted

Just posted this in another thread but since I took the time to write it down I'll also post this recipe here:

Pasta e ceci (Pasta with chickpeas)

The preparation of this dish is similar to making risotto, but with small pasta instead of rice. For me, the most important and unique elements are the chickpeas, pecorino cheese, and the rosemary.

Ingredients:
-desired amount of small pasta (ex. orzo, ditalini, large pastina if available, otherwise macaroni will do)
-can of chickpeas (or dry chickpeas which have been sufficiently soaked)
-1 onion or shallot
-1 small red chili pepper
-package of passata di pomodoro (plain tomato puree/sauce)
-sprig of fresh rosemary
-red or white wine
-small block of pecorino romano or parmesan cheese (optional if you want a vegan version)
-large pot of vegetable stock
-olive oil

Directions:
1. Prepare ingredients- chop onion into fine pieces, chop small pieces of the chili pepper, rinse off canned chickpeas, cut about 10 thin slices of pecorino/parmesan

2. Set water for vegetable stock to boil (you may want to add more salt to it)

3. Make a soffrito- saute onion and pepper on medium/medium low heat in a deep pan. When it starts to simmer, add the desired amount of wine and let it evaporate

4. Add in the chickpeas before wine is completely evaporated, let them soften and crush them with wooden spoon or ladle

5. Add a generous amount of tomato puree, desired amount of rosemary leaves ripped from the stem, slices of cheese and stir

6. When the vegetable stock water is boiling, add dry pasta into the sauce, and start ladling in vegetable stock until pasta is covered,  keep adding stock so that it does not evaporate, until pasta is al dente or your desired consistency. Note: Some prefer this dish to be like soup, others want it to be less watery. I go for something in between. 

7. Turn off the heat and let it sit for about 5 mins 

8. Serve with extra pecorino

Report Reply

Reply by Miscellanity

posted

Im going on 4ish 5 years being vegan. It be hard sometimes ngl, but I couldn't bring myself to go back. I tried and was extremely uncomfortable. Heres a recipe for boil some pasta, get some garden chick'n strips cook them. next get some butter and flour to make a roux. mix in plant milk and vegan cheese add a generous amount of lemon(or lime juice) and pepper and the past and boom. Trust it's good af.

Report Reply

Reply by AmandaRachelle

posted

im vegan. we buy seitan and crumble it up as a protein replacement in curry! coconut milk, brown or white rice, carrots, potatoes, onions, whatever u want lol my bf adds mushrooms too (i dont like those) and curry paste. we switch between using red or green. super easy, super delicious. 

Report Reply

Reply by Central Presbyterian Church, Fort Smith, AR

posted
updated

Have you tried Ethiopian food?  There are some tasty vegetarian dishes in their cuisine.  Misir Wot (spicy red lentils) is one of the best.  Here is a good recipe:  Misir Wot Recipe from Washington Post :)

Report Reply

Reply by Vegan Prepper

posted

I fully rely on America's Test Kitchen and Minimalist Bakers recipes because they do not fuck around. They test and retest their recipes and do not post them until they are perfect. I do admit I have a deep appreciation for Thee Burger Dude, Sauce Stauche, Connie's Rawesome Kitchen, and Yeung Man Cooking on YouTube.

Report Reply

Reply by Austin_KornClown7

posted

how about vegan :) 

there is plenty of options!

let me know if you want ideas

also should share this:

Report Reply

Reply by Austin_KornClown7

posted

how about vegan :) 

there is plenty of options!

let me know if you want ideas

also should share this:

Report Reply

Reply by 𖤐Levi//Milo𖤐

posted

my go-to lazy meal is pan-fried tofu, rice, and cauliflower with bang bang sauce :)

Report Reply

Reply by mae :P

posted

idk if ur  from the uk or not but aldi's frozen section has loadssss of rlly good + inexpensive veggie things :D a personal fav is the spicy chicken burger <3

Report Reply

Reply by Mae

posted

Smth I really like are vegetarian tamales :) I’m the only vegetarian in my school so when I talk about them everyone thinks it’s gross, but they’re really good. There are some good recipes online, I usually just buy mine from the store though. This is a site I found to make them https://www.thespruceeats.com/garden-vegetable-tamales-3029744 

Report Reply

Reply by Spartacus?

posted

- Cauliflower covered in a mix of paprika and water or eggs then rolled in flower and fried. 

- Noodles and tofu with some edamame pan fried (and also whatever vegetable you want.)

- Small firm tofu cutlet, cut in half and with (possible vegan) cheese, dip in milk or water or eggs and cover with breadcrumbs then fry

Report Reply

Reply by koolplaces

posted

If you’re ovo(-lacto) veggie, I like shakshuka and I can’t recommend it enough. Really cheap per serving too. You can replace the eggs with scrambled tofu

Lentil bolognese is great as well (also really cheap)

Quorn has more vegan options than ever before and they keep expanding their vegan range

Report Reply

Reply by Arman

posted

if you can find paneer (indian cottage cheese) at the store for a good price, get it. good to fry in a pan or for bbq

Report Reply

Reply by adam

posted

one of my favorite things to eat is fried rice! it is quite easy to make at home, or even buy from a store. they often have lots of vegetables, and it is quite easy to find varieties of the meal including different vegetables or items mixed with the rice to fit to your liking. 

Report Reply

Reply by Gorrister

posted
updated

There's a lot of really good suggestions in this thread (I <3 vegetarian chili and shakshuka) another good thing to have is Japanese curry if you can get sum blocks + some vegetarian nuggets like MorningStar or Impossible chicken nuggets. If you don't like fake meat the nuggets are really just for crunch and filling and they're so good.

This stew is really filling and good too I make it a lot!!

A super good and easy recipe I just started trying! On a foil lined baking tray lay out some frozen gnocchi, crumble two spicy italian impossible sausages, and pour in a pint of cherry tomatoes, then bake at 425F for 29 minutes. It's so goood. The frozen gnocchi I use comes with an herb butter sauce but you can get plain gnocchi and mix any sauce after and it's still good :)

Report Reply

Reply by ButtersMexicano

posted

I have an altered version of Adam Raguseas's pea pasta recipe that I've been making almost every week. 

serves 2

ingredients:

200g frozen peas

2 servings of pasta (I prefer pasta shells)

118g cottage cheese (can sub ricotta)

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp basil paste

1 clove garlic (preferably the pre-minced kind)

seasonings: I like 1/4 tsp of Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and onion powder. Also, add salt to taste

also, save some of the pasta water for the sauce

instructions:

steam ur peas in the microwave. add the peas, pasta water, cottage cheese, lemon juice, basil, garlic, and seasonings to a blender and blend. Add sauce to the cooked pasta. Look at Adam Ragusea's YouTube video for more detailed instructions (https://youtu.be/vKHSrH975uw?si=RdaugyGuCmWIbzge)

Report Reply

Reply by Johnnie C McCoin

posted

I just love vegetarian food, it's healthy

Report Reply