« Back to the Deranged SpaceHey Gamers Forum

favourite handheld system

i played all the mainstream handhelds like the og gameboy, the gba sp, nds lite, psp, ps vita but the nintendo switch is my alltime favourite handheld now...

Report Topic

70 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ThisIsHistory

posted

Man, I remember when everyone always had a DS on them.
It was awesome just being able to open up Pictochat, Mario Kart DS, or Pokemon Platinum an almost always having someone in the area connect with you.

Report Reply

Reply by O Alentejano

posted

PSP, easily.
Not only is it easy to crack at home, it also has a weird level of mobility.
Some insane madman programmed his psp to read his insulin levels, that's not a joke.

Report Reply

Reply by N30V3N0M

posted
updated

For me, it was always the Game Boy, from the brick to 3DS.  I do want to get an Atari Lynx, in the future.

Report Reply

Reply by SWH (Punk Jesus)

posted

The Original Gameboy was my go to hand held system. It likely still would be if I could find my copy of Tetris... but right now my most played hand helds are either the PSP or the PSVita. I'm just playing them more than most things right now.

Report Reply

Reply by Johan

posted

Nintendo DS lite

BUT...if I can get it working properly, my favorite handheld is about to be an android phone + one of those bluetooth controllers that snaps onto the edges + emulators and DIG front-end

Report Reply

Reply by Budweiser

posted
updated

PSP. I just bought one the other month ago for the first time. I found the OG one in a local game store for such a good price so it was perfect. I never had one as a kid, but I am in love with it. I'll be ordering a Vita as soon as I can. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ash Deranged

posted

I absolutely love my Vita and 3DS. I still buy games to play on both to this day. It's really nice being able to just sit in my bed and sit back with a nice game. :)

Report Reply

Reply by Killernettle789

posted

Nintendo DS, hands down. Not only does it have some of my favorite games, it can also play titles for the second best handheld, GBA!!

Report Reply

Reply by NetherFalcon

posted

probably the psp or the ds/3ds

Report Reply

Reply by Shadow Bliss

posted

The 3DS, its the only portable gaming system I've ever had and I just bought one 2 weeks ago.

I only have 3 games for it - Super Mario Kart on the DS, Sonic Generations and Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. So...if anyone would like to offer suggested other games on the system or the DS, I'm happy to consider anything (I MIGHT get a PSP, a PS Vita or any of the many models of Gameboy - I don't have the means to play any other portable gaming system - but not just yet as I'm more concerned with the library of games first). Also, don't recommend Tetris. I already want that because I simply find the idea of Tetris on a portable gaming system "unfuckupable" and I like Tetris as a game.

Report Reply

Reply by Steven 🦇

posted

Ima be honest, I never really liked handheld gaming. The screens were always too small and/or dark! But back in the day I had a GBC, GBA, and PSP. Out of all of them I think I liked my GBC the best (because Pokemon lol). I bought a 3DS XL back in 2013 (just for Pokemon X) and it was okay, but Pokemon X is literally the only game I ever got for it

Report Reply

Reply by Psychedelic

posted

switch and 3DS. i used to have my dads psp but i was too young to fully remember me actually using it, though i know i did. i think we still have it but its in a box stored away somewhere in the attic..

Report Reply

Reply by chris

posted

the ds lite for me, i grew up on it.

Report Reply

Reply by Jesse

posted
updated

The Vita, and 3ds. I love the oled screen on the original Vita, and the library of games for the 3ds is just fantastic.

Report Reply

Reply by DazzlingGleam

posted

I always enjoyed my 3DS, my Vita, and my PSP the most. I have a Switch, but its not as fun for me honestly.

I modded(cracked? idk which word lol) all three of them, the first on being the PSP when I was 12. My psp became a lot more fun to use.
I used to have a DS lite, but for some reason, it stopped detecting the games I insert into it, so I got a 3DS as a replacement for Christmas, another reason I like my 3DS because I could play my old DS games again lol.
I really like my Vita and I'm disappointed that Sony just abandoned it. It honestly had a lot of potential. I remembered using it for almost everything when my laptop was broken(The vita has the best web browser than any other handheld. I'm not kidding lol).

Report Reply

Reply by Alveus Nosville

posted

Used to think it was GBAsp, but after learning the technical spec behind it I acquired a soft spot for GBC, but I do also like PSP a lot, too bad the controls they gave it suck. It can still acces 4chan doe and I got a feeling it may also be able to run spacehey, but I did not check it yet.

Report Reply

Reply by lieutenantsaturn99

posted

the 3ds/ds will forever be Nintendo's peak for me, and thats a hill i will die on.

Report Reply

Reply by Michelle Ballard

posted

Gameboy advance SP all the way 

Report Reply

Reply by Anthony De Jesús Estrada II

posted

psp and ds lite

Report Reply

Reply by Mersaddles

posted
updated

Gameboy was my first handheld when I was a child. I loved the gameboy, gameboycolor, gameboyadvance, but my all time favorite was the gameboy advance sp, mainly because it was a little more portable. (And easier to hide from the parents after bedtime :p)

I own a 3DS but I really couldn't be as consistent with play time with the DS systems. 

Now that I have a switch, I'm obsessed. 
Cannot wait to see what the Steam handheld will bring to the table since I mainly own PC games. 

Report Reply

Reply by Levia Draconia

posted

Definitely the Nintendo Switch.

Report Reply

Reply by musicalmentalbreakdown

posted

the nintendo 2ds, amazing if you homebrew it, it pretty much becomes a portable arcade machine

Report Reply

Reply by Alveus Nosville

posted

It's all between Gameboy Color and PSP. Switch to me is an amazing mobile console but that's precisely because you get to not have it as a handheld, but instead a system to split with a friend.

Report Reply

Reply by Alveus Nosville

posted

It's all between Gameboy Color and PSP. Switch to me is an amazing mobile console but that's precisely because you get to not have it as a handheld, but instead a system to split with a friend.

Report Reply

Reply by Mysterious P4R4D0X

posted

A tie between OG Gameboy, 3DS, and Switch Lite. 

Report Reply

Reply by Tyson

posted

I've had a gameboy colour, DS, 3DS and now have a switch. The Switch is probably my favourite but I love the portability of the 3DS. 

Report Reply

Reply by Noelle

posted

Nintendo 3DS because nostalgia

Report Reply

Reply by anarchomuslimah

posted

switch! grew up w nintendo so i also love ds, gba n 3ds. wld luv to get a psp or ps vita tho

Report Reply

Reply by Retron

posted

Ds, I have so many memories with the console

Report Reply

Reply by Apav

posted
updated

For ease of use, nostalgia, and an amazing library, the PSP. Being able to easily emulate GBA and PS1 games makes it a no brainer, but also having Ratchet and Clank, Tony Hawk's Underground, Daxter and ATV Offroad Fury Pro, all in one place is awesome!

The only thing better could be a modded PS Vita that could do all those things along with playing Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Killzone. However I have yet to mod a PS Vita that heavily.

Report Reply

Reply by .+* aurora *+.

posted

the switch and the 3ds are my favourites :]

Report Reply

Reply by .+* aurora *+.

posted

the switch and the 3ds are my favourites :]

Report Reply

Reply by Tembius

posted

This might me controversial, but PS Vita.

It sucked that it had like 2 games that used the full extent of it's features (Touchscreen, Back Touchpad, Camera etc.) but the original Tearaway used most of them and it's one of my fav one-shot games ever (I massively prefer it to the PS4 version)
LBP Vita was also a trip too, because the system didn't have much power, user generated levels felt just as creative as they did retro, and the corner cutting gave it charm.
Also PS Now and being able to jam out PS3 games even though I didn't have one at the time was amazing.

Report Reply

Reply by Theo

posted

my fav is probs ps vita and switch !! I like all handhelds tho, they're porper class

Report Reply

Reply by Xx Su-Lin xX

posted

I'm mostly familiar with the Gameboy Advance, DSi, and the Switch... so those! :D 

Report Reply

Reply by karely

posted

I will always love the Nintendo DS. I still have my metallic rose one that was gifted to me for Christmas. It only came with super Mario bros though. I eventually bought more games, lost a few, borrowed a few, but overall I have such good memories with it. Was actually recently looking into buying some of the games I lost as a kid or just never got to fully own(warioware touched, as well as others I played all the time).

Report Reply

Reply by xXkf100Xx

posted

psp

it has gta

Report Reply

Reply by Mico

posted

Nothing will be able to top the 3DS for me... I just have so many fond memories of Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X & Y, ect.

Report Reply

Reply by R00by!

posted

I'd say in terms of Nintendo, the OG DS because of its adapter being the same as the gba link cable, being able to play said gba games and as such the wide option of games. If you have flash carts for the gba and ds it gives access to gb, gbc, gba, ds, and nes games!

As for Sony, the PSP. The vita kinda feels weird and any noteworthy game has been ported away.

Report Reply

Reply by rainer !!! (music autoplays)

posted

omg the leapster game thing thats made for like infants went so crazy!!><!>! I remembre playing the spongebob game when I was like 4 it was soooo good

Report Reply

Reply by Happy_Dark_Relem

posted

3ds, no contest

Report Reply

Reply by nathan64

posted

I find my Nintendo DSi to be the best handheld that I own, it's really fun to use with friends and supports nearly all of the DS games with some being enhanced on DSi too.

Report Reply

Reply by asha

posted

Gotta be PSP. Great library + homebrew and emulators, fits well in the hands, great screen and controls, really easy to disassemble and mod

Report Reply

Reply by ajmetz

posted

For some reason, I just had the most fun playing on the 3DS. The choice of games was fantastic! I picked up a Nintendo Switch afterwards, and I really haven't found many games I like on that system, to be fair, =/. Whereas I loved Mario 3D Land, and had lots of fun with Mutant Mudds, and played in the 3D mode all the time. I'd missed out on the DS and so for it to be backwards compatible with DS too just made it an incredible system, =). I got a Wii U shortly after, so got to continue the Mario 3D Land love affair with Mario 3D World, whereas I simply haven't enjoyed Mario Odyssey as much, =P. I just wish the Japanese version of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS would get a fan translation patch. Playing in 3D and 2D simultaneously on dual screens (although further googling reveals that is only at the start), seems awesome, <3.

Report Reply

Reply by GENOSAD

posted

GBA by far. Gameplay > Graphics

Report Reply

Reply by gmoney

posted

The 3DS and PSP seem to have the most capability with homebrew/modding backed up by excellent game libraries natively.

Report Reply

Reply by callalillie

posted

mainly cuz of nostalgia and homebrew, the 3ds, but i use and like the switch the most!!

Report Reply

Reply by Toby♀

posted

definitely the 3DS, it's insanely easy to homebrew and easy to carry around. Plus the battery on it lasts longer than my switch

Report Reply

Reply by Toby♀

posted

definitely the 3DS, it's insanely easy to homebrew and easy to carry around. Plus the battery on it lasts longer than my switch

Report Reply

Reply by [)4\ /![)

posted

I would probably have to go with the 3DS XL! that console helped me reignite my interest in Tetris, and I was able to get my Sprint time to 1:08 (so close to 1 minute!) unfortunately my little one got a hold of it and it snapped in half. :(

I'm trying to ebay a chasis or something so i can take everything inside and just swap it to another case, lol.

nostalgia wise, the game boy advance SP for sure. I played my first pokemon game on the GBA (Sapphire) and I was hooked!

Report Reply