« Back to the Horror Writers Group Forum

What's Your Sub-genre?

There are many sub-genres of Horror; Science Fiction Horror, Body Horror, Cosmic Horror, Supernatural Horror, etc.. Many writers find their niche or what they love and stick almost solely to that.

For me, I got sucked into the world of Erotic Horror well over a decade ago and have mostly stayed there since. I even ran a magazine for a good bit of that time devoted to the sub-genre; Infernal Ink Magazine. That has now shifted into publishing books; Infernal Ink Books.

The whole thing started when a Myspace friend introduced me to concept of Erotic Horror and then went on to start an online magazine devoted to it. That friend later bowed out of the magazine and sold it and as best I can tell completely disappeared from the world of publishing, but the new editor was also a friend and offered me my own column. I basically haven't looked back.

So, what are some of your sub-genres you love to write in or are completely devoted to?

Report Topic

12 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by V Holeček Art

posted

I don't write, but my preferred horror always has a strong psychological or body horror aspect to it.  Less is usually more, and if the story gives away too much the spell is broken.

Report Reply

Reply by DreadfulStar

posted

I might be biased, but since my degree is in psychology, I love psychological horror

Report Reply

Reply by Necrosunderground

posted

For me, it's either cosmic horror, or psychological horror. Either it reminds you that you are just a tiny speck in an uncaring, chaotic universe, filled with things that will break your mind, or it plays with your head until you question what's real and what's perceived as real.

Which is kind of ironic, as I've ended up writing more erotic horror than either of those sub-genres XD

Report Reply

Reply by Cas_

posted

I would have to say mine would be psychological horror. I feel that can keep it either very interesting or very boring when done certain ways 

Report Reply

Reply by Spartacus?

posted

If dystopia or post-apocalypse count as forms of horror, I would say that is it. I’m studying criminal psychology, so exploring the psyche of people in those situations is fascinating to me. I suppose it would be “social horror” or “societal horror” the idea of living in a world with such a broken psyche that it becomes the norm to be, what would be in our eyes, demented and indoctrinated. Also I agree on the erotic horror part, but not really sure how to say it but I enjoy it in a non-erotic way. The erotic parts become a sort of aspect of the psychological horror, if someone could somehow balance both it would be really interesting to see.

Report Reply

Reply by Dendron

posted

I am still extremely new to this genre but so far most of what I write seems to be based on suspense, fear, the looming sensation of the unknown, and imminent danger...all tied together with some heart-wrenching circumstances. What sub-genre is that?

Report Reply

Reply by NIKODEMUS SALAMI

posted

I absolutely adore body horror and suspense heavy horror, the former because of my special interest in anatomy, and the latter because it's very hard to plan but also very rewarding when it's pulled off correctly. I have a soft spot for horror in general but those are my favs

Report Reply

Reply by dollsdemure

posted
updated

Even out of writing—games, film, etc, I’ve always enjoyed psychological horror. Despite its lack of the generic jump-scares and such, the viewer/reader feels the emotion, it’s more scarring to me because we get to know the characters more, and it’s my favorite thing to write. I find it a bit difficult to execute it correctly, though.

Report Reply

Reply by Voide

posted

I love writing cosmic horror and sci-fi horror! I've also been writing scripts for some analog horror and digital horror projects, those have been fun

Report Reply

Reply by CHЯISTIAИ

posted

psychological and body horror. I just love it.

Report Reply

Reply by Asher R. Lorcans | Author

posted
updated

Mainly weird, grotesque monsters (Dark Souls 3 type shit) especially in eerie or liminal atmospheres. I also love doing shocking, disgusting body horror, which goes well with my extreme aversion to plot armor lol. If the readers aren't as traumatized as the characters, I've failed as an author!

Report Reply

Reply by happyface

posted

i absolutely LOVE psychological horror and body horror! anything psychological is what i love the most, but a good dash of injury or graphic violence makes it all the better!

Report Reply