« Back to the Emo Music & Mood Boost Music Forum

What was your first emo artist or song?

I got the Young and the Hopeless album when i was 11 and this song was on there. The music video would play on mtv and i knew it was different than most other cmvideos streaming at the time. It was a suicide prevention video. Little did i know that this song / vid would help me to stay alive just a few years later.
Do you remember your earliest emo music attraction?

Report Topic

27 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Lord Byron Silverhand

posted

Good Charlotte! I guess you could say they were emo? The whole late 90s-mid-2000's "alternative" scene was just this one big mishmashed conglomeration. But from a certain point of view you could say plenty of other bands had the "emo" leanings if it wasn't outright. Emo was shorthand for "emotional" and there's plenty of emotion present in groups you wouldn't otherwsie lump in with the genre, you know?

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Yes. Very good point. The song in particular was “hold on” but i guess it didnt show up x_x but yeah, “emo” to me is music that more or less coincides with mental illness. Like songs that are sad / depressing but make me feel better through relatability. For example, i know breaking benjamin is more “hard rock” but “drar agony” is an emo song for me. Thats just my own personal opinion of course. 

Report Reply

Reply by My Discovery Playlist

posted

There’s so many. I’ll go with Ohio Is For Lovers - Hawthorne Heights for song.

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Hecll yeah! 

Fun fact: im from ohio so that song has always been special to me 🖤

Report Reply

Reply by Draxdoll

posted

For me it was boulevard of broken dreams by green day xD

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Aye! :D 

No joke, that was the first song i learned on drums and like the third on guitar x)

Report Reply

Reply by xXLil4cLuXx

posted

Sleeping with sirens! I fell in love with the sound as soon as I heard it, Kick Me was the song. I was just browsing through Youtube, found a video on the emo subculture and looked up the music, I decided right in that moment that I wanted to be part of it

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Hell yeah \m/

SwS for sure has a distinct sound
How could anyone resist that beautiful high pitched voice? x)

Report Reply

Reply by It's-a me, MARTY-o!

posted
updated

Pretty much a whole bunch of bands on Drive-Thru Records. Haha. I was really into Pop Punk at first like New Found Glory, Fenix TX, Blink-182, The Ataris, Yellowcard, Sum 41, etc.

I would say the first few songs that got me into 'Emo' are:

Senses Fail - "187"
Taking Back Sunday - "You're So Last Summer"
Saves The Day - "At Your Funeral"
Finch - "Letters To You"
The Starting Line - "Leaving"

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Wow! Right on, my dude! All great bands and songs. Ive found that pop pubk and emo are like siblings. Not quite the same, but deffs related lol

Report Reply

Reply by Shadow Bliss

posted

For Goth friends I have, there's actually overlap for this song in Emo and Goth but "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence (ft Paul McCoy) - it was my first real exposure into music I liked that wasn't shown to me by my parents so despite being a meme now, it holds a place in my heart.

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Oh, that song deffs works as a goth song as well. Great intro to a new world of music. I used to be obsessed with “my immortal” by them. 

Report Reply

Reply by xXJavaVampXx

posted

Girls Not Grey - AFI, loved that whole album <3 also was mini obsessed with Davey Havok teehee xD

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Omg yessss! Lol

Rock Band 2 introduced me to AFI. Then they led me to sunny day real estate and Placebo ^_^\m/

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Right on \m/

Sws seems to be one of those gateway bands to the emo genre. Never been super into them myself, but they are very talented 🎶

Report Reply

Reply by j0nd4mus1c14n

posted

I quite fondly remember that day lmao. I was playing GTA Chinatown Wars back when I have an iPod touch. Technically it isn't 100% mine since both me and my brother tend to share it quite a lot back in the day lol. It was also around 2012 so I was still in elementary school. Out of curiousity I checked what's on the "iPod" (which later became Apple Music) and found a demo by Falling In Reverse titled "The Departure" and "Listen Up" alongside Eyes Set To Kill's "Darling." And the rest was history pretty much, although you rarely hear these kinds of music in the mainstream nowadays.

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Right on! \m/

They may not be so mainstream anymore, but id say Falling in Reverse is still fairly popular ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by Emo_Screamo

posted

Mama by my chemical romance

Report Reply

Reply by Emo_Screamo

posted

Mama by my chemical romance

Report Reply

Reply by XxXEmo_BxddieXxX

posted

Bring Me To Life by Evenesence 

Report Reply

Reply by Gorixology

posted

The Man That Can't Be Moved by Paramore, Invisible and Words by Skylar Grey, Perspective by Kutless, The End by Silverstein, In the End and Ritual by BVB, Dear Agony and Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin, My Last Breath by Evanescene, Its Been a While by Staind, Mother Murderer by Hollywood Undead

Report Reply

Reply by XxZawmbie.m0urguexX

posted

i think it was Jesus of suburbian by green day or institutionalized by Taking back sunday i cant remember, probaly both LOL

Report Reply

Reply by Jack Raven

posted

Hell yeah! Jesus of suburbia is epic 🎶

Report Reply

Reply by MissBrightside

posted

Mr. Brightside - The Killers 

Report Reply

Reply by Xx_Your Favourite Scemo Kid!_xX

posted

Hello!!! These are the first Emo (or Emo-ish, Goth-ish, and even Gothic Rock-ish) Songs and (or &) Artists that I first heard in my life: 

• Bring Me To Life by Evanescence
  • Helena by My Chemical Romance (or MCR)
  • My Immortal by Evanescence
  • & One (or 1) more Song (that I don't remember. :/ )
Btw, Bye!!! =3 🌸

Report Reply

Reply by ROMNCERXD

posted

Demolition Lovers by My chemical romanxe

Report Reply

Reply by EVAN !! XP

posted

I was introduced to emo music by my older sister. She used to play music when we cleaned together. But anyway, one day, she played My Chemical Romance and Paramore; which was different from the usual stuff she played. But to my 8-year-old self, I loved it. So later that day, I went on a massive MCR YouTube search and fell in love with them! So yeah, thanks to my older sister I'm emo now.

Report Reply