« Back to the Psychiatric Ward Forum

Have you ever been “mentally institutionalized”?

I have been in and out of “mental institutions” since the age of 19. I’m 43. Since age 33, there are too many hospitalizations to count. What do you think needs to change within this response to people with mental health issues? Share your experiences and or thoughts. Let’s get to chatting!

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Hatch

posted

I went willingly for a week due to. Obvious Reasons.

I was lucky enough everyone was super nice but they didnt?? Take me to see a therapist/counselor/whoever the fuck youre supposed to see when you go to a place when you wanna kill yourself. They really should have put more effort into All of their patients, cause I'd see others be called in everyday and talked to but never me

Report Reply

Reply by H3LL0.-.k1tty:-)dEv!l

posted

Well from my experience, they need to just stop drugging (kids) hoping that meds will solve all their problems. They need to think ahead more and find out the real reason why you keep coming back (for example toxic home situations or possible undiagnosed medical conditions.) once they find out the reason they need more options and things that they could do to help/change that. I’m 14 and have been in and out of psych wards since 2020. My parents are toxic, verbally, & mentally abusive, and homophobic, but since they think that’s not a big enough reason to take me out that home environment, I go back there and everyone wonders why I get checked back into the hospital weeks later. Until there are more options for other kids in my situation, I believe that this problem will persist.

Report Reply

Reply by rektedpawz

posted

yes sadly. iv been 9 times so i have some crazy stories but one time at del amo i had an episode and i was punching the wall and ended up relapsing and they dragged me out if the bathroom and refused to give me a ice pack 0_0 i told them id sit in front of the nurses desk with it so they can watch me but they said in order to get band aids and cleaning stuff for my wounds i needed to take medications. i was so pissed because they could have gave it to me and i would take the meds later on. they were trying to sedate me but i wasn't even being aggressive.

Report Reply