« Back to the SEGA Forum

Dreamcast Megathread

Posted by Macky

posted

Forum: SEGA Group

why is it the best console ever made? when is Dreamcast 2 coming out?

Report Topic

27 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Lau

posted

The Dreamcast had a beautiful list of games. My favorite games probably have to be Project Justice, Karous and Blue Stinger (it's just such a funny game, I love it).

Hopefully we get to see a Dreamcast 2 someday...

Report Reply

Reply by Macky

posted

I bought a GDEMU for my DC recently and it's wonderful to be able to digitally play all these DC games without paying an arm and a leg for the disc.

Report Reply

Reply by Thalia Viraldreams

posted

Dreamcast was far ahead of it's time and a victim to poor Corporate decisions. So much potential and unreleased titles. I cry thinking of all the lost experiences. I pray for a Dreamcast/Saturn Mini.

Report Reply

Reply by Death Cab for Lukie

posted

I'm just echoing what a few people have already said lol.

The console was so ahead of its time with online gaming.
My favourite game was Project Justice, the continuation of the Rival Schools series by Capcom, which is terribly underrated and definitely deserves a new instalment.

What does everyone think killed the Dreamcast?

For me it was the power of the PlayStation, people loved the PS1 so much and many were scared to back the Dreamcast after the failure of the Saturn.  There's also the fact that EA decided not to publish on the console, for sports fans that was a HUGE deal.  Finally, there's the piracy issue, it was a pretty easy console to modify and I know so many people who bought pirated games instead of legal purchases.

Thoughts?

Report Reply

Reply by Macky

posted
updated

Well, there was a lack of consumer trust with Sega at the time. Sega released the Sega CD which sold kinda okay, not as bad as the 32X and then the failure of the Saturn in the US. Sega was releasing a bunch of peripherals that failed and in the market lost consumer trust in them. Dreamcast was the final shot, and Sega threw everything at it and it failed. A sad story, but their final effort truly was the best they ever did.

Also, the PS2 was on the horizon. That was the final nail into the coffin.

Report Reply

posted

It was such a shame as it really had some ground breaking games.

I'll always be grateful for Shenmue and Jet Set Radio, games way ahead of their time.

Report Reply

Reply by Macky

posted

I love the piracy on the Dreamcast. I never grew up with a Dreamcast actually, but when I bought one 6 years ago all I had to do is get a CD-r 700mb cd and burn a cdi file on to it. Since there are games that are super expensive it allowed me to play games I would've never played legally.

Report Reply

posted

Is that all you have to do?

I might look into that, there's no way I can afford some of the classics as the retro market is insane these days. 

I always wanted to play Cannon Spike!

Report Reply

Reply by Macky

posted
updated

yeah that's it. There are some games like D2 or Shenmue 2 that just doesn't have a cdi image or has to be cut down so much that it's just a bad experience. the GD rom discs that sega owns the right to hold 1GB of data and the CD-r you need only holds 700mb so some of the content or compressed needs to be cut for the bigger games in order to fit.

if you dont mind spending a bit more money I would recommend a GDEMU (you would need a SD card or micro sd with a SD card adapter), you can find a clone on ebay for $40-50. Make sure your dreamcast is the right one (majority of them are). To check flip over the dreamcast and right next to the region "NTSC-U", if in North America and if there is a 1 or 0 in the circle then it should be all good to play pirated copies.

https://www.instructables.com/Dreamcast-Burn-Games-with-ImgBurn/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/5y6fqr/best_way_to_burn_games/

This is the best site for cdi and gdi files
https://cdromance.com/

Report Reply

posted

Thanks ever so much, I really appreciate the advice and links :)

Report Reply

Reply by Lexi

posted

Anybody know any good homebrews for dreamcast?

Report Reply

Reply by Benji

posted

Dreamcast lovers!! I only ever played Sonic Adventure & House of the dead 2 on this thing. Looking for Jet Set Radio soon!

Report Reply

Reply by hallucinogenicHypnotist

posted

Yea dude the dreamcast was great, some of my favourite games were on the dreamcast imagine what would've been made if the dreamcast was successful 

Report Reply

Reply by ToriElectra

posted

Technically we did get a Dreamcast 2 -- the OG Xbox. They both had unusual designs and emphasized online play. It even had several exclusive Sega titles early on that were essentially leftover Dreamcast games. Note the Xbox controller layout, it's nigh-identical to the DC's controller (and in turn to the Saturn's 3D Control Pad), except they added a second analog stick and a couple of extra buttons. They were apparently in talks to enable cross-compatibility between the console s(that fell apart over which online service to use). And, even in ever so small ways, the Dreamcast's legacy lives on into the current, mega-advanced Xbox we see today.

Report Reply

Reply by unrestedjade

posted

Dreamcast has an amazing library and just a really neat-looking piece of hardware. I think the fact that it was Sega's swan song that arrived too late to save them lends a certain tragic air to it, too. And it has that cool spiral logo.

Report Reply

Reply by Gina

posted

I actually heard some modders got the servers back up for Street Fighter 2 Alpha on that thing, kind of impressive that people are able to do that 

Report Reply

Reply by 77razr

posted

I only own Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure and Power Stone but that shit's been so fun.

Report Reply

Reply by Justin

posted

anyone here have the dream-pi or play online on the dreamcast?

Report Reply

Reply by SuperWardBros

posted

jet set radio my beloved

Report Reply

Reply by HyperSAM

posted

Never owned a Dreamcast but I played many of it's games through various ports and emulation. Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 2, Phantasy Star Online, and Jet Set Radio are my current favorites!

Report Reply

Reply by Aubrey

posted

They should really make a Dreamcast Mini to be honest

Report Reply

Reply by cells

posted

Shout out to the best fighting game series of all time: Power Stone! Easily the most fun games I have in my collection! I'm still trying to find other games to add, but I just can't get enough of that goofy game :)

Report Reply

Reply by funkyfr3shbeat5

posted

you guys will never guess what my fav dreamcast game is

Report Reply

Reply by erin

posted

the dreamcast is so cool i named one of my characters after it

Report Reply

Reply by 8-Track TeckHead

posted
updated

I'm a total psycho for the Dreamcast! Every day I find out about some cool game that I've never heard of before on the 'Cast. It's full of surprises! I dig it!

Report Reply

Reply by Ill Overlord

posted

I have a dreamcast but something is fucky with the optics drive and I need to get around to fixing it.

Report Reply

Reply by Roscoe the Sloth

posted

I think the NGC was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. Some of my favorites, including the Sonic Adventure series and Evolution got ported to the NGC.

Report Reply