« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Is Christianity a force for good in the world? I think so

Christianity has been a fixture of morality and culture in western civilization since the Romans. But over the last 60 years Christianity has been on the decline, mostly in europe but also in America and Canada. Do you think we'd lose something if we abandoned Christianity and most of all, do you believe that Christianity is a force for good in the world. 

Report Topic

38 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ponk BonkDonk

posted

Reply by Bruhshido

posted

My personal opinion on the matter is that Christianity can be a good force, fundraising, good spirits and helping others but recently it has become a weapon used by political parties, and that I disagree with. so it really depends of which way you see the quick red fox jump over the big brown fence. <3 hope that helps.

Report Reply

Reply by Leonidas_huh

posted

Thank you for your insightful replies, besties. XDXDXDXD lulz : ))))))))

Report Reply

Reply by Appetite

posted

I think it is a force of good, and the decline of Christianity will inevitably correlate with an increase in degeneracy and indulgence is what I think. As ancient Greek philosophy would call it: people will follow their lower desires, instead of their higher ones. The 7 Christian virtues include the 4 already existing virtues in the ethics of Aristotle, which he thought to be the key components to a good and happy life (not just for you, but for others around you as well).

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

I think it is a matter of history.

If you want to see the truth of this, you can find a lot of great articles in the New York Times, Washington Examiner or any number of other outlets.

If your idea of a good thing comes down to this question: Do we want a Christian country to be the world leader in science, technology and medicine? Do you really think it will do? Or, if we're talking about science, does it matter to our society as long as our leaders don't have the ability to control their leaders, or is this just the tip of an iceberg, and the only one that matters? Do we care if the world is a place that's safe for the average Christian? Do we want the Christian leaders in this country to be able to do things for us? I don't think we're in that position anymore and it's time for us to change our culture and culture. We can't allow ourselves to lose this chance and we can't allow ourselves to become a nation that is not a place where the rest of us live. We have the power to change the way our world looks and we need the power to change the way that we think. I think we can. We have to do that.

So if you are going to make it to the White House, and I am going to be there to support your candidacy and your efforts and you will be able to tell us your thoughts on this question. If you have any comments, please leave them here.

Report Reply

Reply by Antonio Smith

posted

Christianity is definitely a force for good in the world (I'm not even Christian). 

Alright proof!: Christians made the first hospitals and orphanages (hospitals in my city are called Baptist, Methodist, St Francis, etc)

Christ taught love which is the greatest of all living powers.

The Spiritual teachings in the Bible are great for a foundational understanding of living a moral life. I do confess though, that the spiritual teachings aren't super helpful for today's issues. 

Report Reply

Reply by Lainey

posted

Christianity, like other religions, is not a monolith; it consists of many diverse ranges of cultures and people, so asking if Christianity itself is a force for good is not a good question.

However, what would be a good topic, is the effects of institutionalized Christianity on the world, such as the Catholic Church. 

When referring specifically to institutionalized Christianity, I believe it is purely a form of manipulation and control, and a way to make people submit and accept the awful conditions they (the government) are responsible for. 

Report Reply

Reply by Kaine Depraysie

posted

Its the most popular form of judaism; with atheism coming in second followed by islam. 

Report Reply

Reply by Austin_KornClown7

posted

Nope, religion poisons everything.

Report Reply

Reply by Jahi

posted

I think the decline in Christianity is showing truly how horrid of a theism. It in history has been used for a lot of hate and lies, for example the incorrect translations of the bible. Translated by those who had an idea of the language, but not enough to correctly translate what was written. Christianity has never been a "force of good", pressing the religion on those who want to practice their own and putting them to death if they didn't follow the religion, no good.

Report Reply

Reply by Christopher Wu🎹🎵💗

posted

I'm searching for Christian friends. Add me!

Report Reply

Reply by dumbb1tchboyxoxo

posted

Atheist/former Christian here. I like this question. it's very interesting to think about and discuss, so i'd like to give my personal insight. I would like to start off by saying that I do not care what religion you practice, but it should never by any means be forced upon others or used to spread hate, which brings me to my point.

Whether Christianity is a good force or not depends entirely on how you practice it. I am aware that Christianity gives hope to a lot of people (I know that throughout history it especially gave hope to people of the lower classes) and there are many people who practice the religion with good intentions because they genuinely care about others; I think this is great!
However, there are many Christians who use the Bible simply to excuse and spread their homophobia, transphobia, racism, intolerance for other religions, etc., etc. They will try to force Christianity on others, claiming that it is the pinnacle of morality and that Christianity is supposedly the "correct religion," when that is entirely untrue. There is no "correct religion," because all religion essentially is is one of many philosophical theories on how the world came to be, and what controlling forces one believes are out there. Therefore, in this case, Christianity is not being used as a good force, because people like this are using their religion to hurt others.
As for the question of what would happen if Christianity ceased to exist, I do not think there would be a dramatic change of morality amongst the people because, as previously stated, Christianity is not the pinnacle of morality. There are good people outside of Christianity, and there are bad people within Christianity.
These are simply my thoughts. Feel free to add on or correct me if I have said something that is incorrect, but yeah! :)))
TL;DR- Christianity can be a good force if you use it for good, and there are good people outside the religion, so people would still have morals if it ceased to exist.

Report Reply

Reply by Stella Albiston

posted

Thanks for sharing this informative blog about News. But we are here to introduce our brand Days Tech. It gives you all the daily items of news about that mentioned. I suggest you visit here Tech News and get amazing information. If you want something special.

Report Reply

Reply by scenemo.mess666

posted

Reply by scenemo.mess666

posted

Reply by scenemo.mess666

posted

Reply by Deth

posted

Do you think we'd lose something if we abandoned Christianity?

No. 

Do you believe Christianity is a force for good in the world?
No. If Christians God created earth and our lives, he is an evil God. Why? The way life is constructed. If he wasn't evil we would have perfect lives,  but we suffer.

Desire,
Attachment, 
Pain,
Reproduction,
Addiction,

..and more, are all very big problems of our lives.
The cycle of desire is evil.

-> Need something -> Work for it -> Replenish -> Need it again

And the cycle continues
Death is our escape, a perfect paradise elsewhere

Report Reply

Reply by Deth

posted

If your God is said to be real, there is no way you can believe he isn't an evil God.

If he wasn't, we would have perfect lives in a perfect paradise

Look around yourself and tell me thing's aren't horrible

We have so many issues and if your God is real he wouldn't have made our lives so hellish

Here are our issues:

Desire,

Pain,

Struggle,

(Negative) Value,

Opinion,

Attachment,

Indifference

Shall we start with desire

It’s a deprivation, a need, and not having it; that void. Desiring something is like valuing  it without having it. Creating a dissatisfaction

People say “You can obtain it though” True, but you don’t instantly have it, it’s not an unlimited source (and you struggle to obtain it). It’s an endless desire, an endless need for something, a craving or an addiction, meaning it’s a game you’re playing, for example you’re almost like a hamster in a wheel, it’s the value trap of life, you always struggle to obtain something you need.

It's a cycle

Using -> Work -> Struggle -> Obtain -> Replenish -> Need of more -> using...

The eternal cycle

Struggle

Struggle is the process of obtaining a value, like working, or walking somewhere, or even cleaning your room

So, why is bad?

It prolongs that feeling of emptiness. rather than having it automatically, which you don’t and never will 

You work for almost everything you obtain, and if you didn’t work for it you or someone else struggled to bring it in your life, either way it’s a struggle and a process to fulfill that temporary void and it leaves you in  a cycle of working, struggling, obtaining, using

(N) Value

Pretty much the stuff you don’t desire upon yourself

Ex: losing a limb, pain, etc. 

Negative feelings

Impermanence 

Indifference is not being able to change your circumstance you don’t want

Despair, powerless

Value / Attachment

Everything you value you will lose ( ex. Loved one, precious items, etc. )

I believe by not reproducing, we would prevent these events from happening

You are attached to the things you value therefore making it fall under the category of attachment or just very similar ( ex. You stay loyal to things you care about (value), If you truly loved it or valued, you would give it up for the value

And now.. for our eternal and paradise state..

Death

Death is a valueless state

Which means you don’t suffer at all, or feel pleasure, a neutral state of being.. 

That’s the bliss of death

No struggle, no desires, no indifference, no attachments, no values or N values, nothing, But death isn’t actually nothing, because nothing is everything; nothing does not exist. There is always something, when you die, you don’t just disappear (this has nothing to do with spirits or souls transcending into ghosts) it’s a blissful state of not needing or wanting anything, that’s paradise, THAT is heaven

Report Reply

Reply by trenchfry

posted

Depends on what you mean by "Christianity".

As a religious system run by humans who claim to have access to higher power (*cough cough* the pope), no. People will claim to do some seriously messed up stuff "in God's name". Looking back at history we see a lot of the things so-called Christian rulers have done. Even now, there are churches such as Westboro Baptist that hardly anyone could call a force for good. In fact, the majority of traumatic experiences both long and short term in my childhood, happened in church. I was bullied and ignored, my family looked down upon for being friends with the biggest sinners and pariahs in the community. 

However, there are churches who are a force for good as a whole, though. I've been part of fundraisers to raise money for various illness treatments in Africa... and that's good. Missionaries who have the resources to heal others who can't afford it and devote their entire lives to demonstrating love. Those are good people and I can't imagine the world without them. The way churches are involved in our communities (most of the time) are for the best. 

Christianity, not as a religious group, but groups of individuals who look to God, walk with Him, and hear directly from Him, is an unmistakable force of good. These are the people whose first priority is to demonstrate His love, rather than the rules. People who listen to your struggles and don't force others to believe the same thing, that's beautiful. Even a society that doesn't "need" God couldn't function without people who love like Him.

Report Reply

Reply by oxygenatedMoron

posted

Christianity is a useful framework, if a little outdated. As atheism is on the rise, so are suicides and general directionlessness. Being Christian actually has a protective effect against depression. So yeah, Christianity is good but should have ZERO say in anything related to the state. Like abortion or gay marriage. 

Now everything's all secular, we use politics and ideologies as poor man's substitutes for community. Which is why we're all sad now :<

Report Reply

Reply by leballingbuster

posted

I think in the past religion in general was an important community organizing centre and therefore has done good (hospitals, charity, etc.). However, I don't think it's the only way that could have happened in the past, and I don't think it's necessary in the future. 

Historically, and to this day, religion has also done a lot of bad things. There have been wars, colonization, persecuting other opposing religions, promotion of sexism and homophobia, as well as other things. 

Nowadays most of the good things they have done are also done or taken over by non religious groups. While some may be inspired to do great goo by their religion I think that reliance on any one church for social needs will hurt society as a whole because there is some bias there. 

Religions are dying out because people are able to organize community without them now and science is advancing to the point that many are turned away from religious lore.

Religion can be a good or bad force in the world but holding onto it too much will probably hinder society in my opinion. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ethan Lewis

posted

Die Frage, ob das Christentum eine Kraft zum Guten in der Welt ist, ist subjektiv und kann je nach individueller Perspektive und Überzeugung unterschiedlich beurteilt werden. Es ist wichtig zu erkennen, dass das Christentum, wie jede große Religion, ein komplexes und vielfältiges Glaubenssystem mit einer breiten Palette an Interpretationen und Praktiken ist.

Das Christentum hatte einen tiefgreifenden Einfluss auf die Geschichte und hat unzählige Einzelpersonen und Gemeinschaften dazu inspiriert, sich für Taten des Mitgefühls, der Nächstenliebe und der sozialen Gerechtigkeit zu engagieren. Viele Christen und christliche Organisationen haben eine wichtige Rolle bei der Förderung von Bildung, Gesundheitsversorgung, Katastrophenhilfe, Armutsbekämpfung und dem Eintreten für Menschenrechte gespielt. Sie waren an Bemühungen zur Bekämpfung von Ungleichheit, zur Förderung des Friedens und zur Lösung verschiedener sozialer Probleme beteiligt.https://nachrichtenmorgen.de/

Report Reply

Reply by Ethan Lewis

posted
updated

Die Frage, ob das Christentum eine Kraft zum Guten in der Welt ist, ist subjektiv und kann je nach individueller Perspektive und Überzeugung unterschiedlich beurteilt werden. Es ist wichtig zu erkennen, dass das Christentum, wie jede große Religion, ein komplexes und vielfältiges Glaubenssystem mit einer breiten Palette an Interpretationen und Praktiken ist.

Das Christentum hatte einen tiefgreifenden Einfluss auf die Geschichte und hat unzählige Einzelpersonen und Gemeinschaften dazu inspiriert, sich für Taten des Mitgefühls, der Nächstenliebe und der sozialen Gerechtigkeit zu engagieren. Viele Christen und christliche Organisationen haben eine wichtige Rolle bei der Förderung von Bildung, Gesundheitsversorgung, Katastrophenhilfe, Armutsbekämpfung und dem Eintreten für Menschenrechte gespielt. Sie waren an Bemühungen zur Bekämpfung von Ungleichheit, zur Förderung des Friedens und zur Lösung verschiedener sozialer Probleme beteiligt.https://nachrichtenmorgen.de/

Report Reply

Reply by ☆Sol☆

posted

I think it has the ability to be good, but it (like many other religions) also has the capacity to be really really bad.

For example, the teachings of Jesus for example promote the idea of love, kindness, generosity, forgiveness, etc etc. These are all inherently good things, and many Christians follow these. They have taken the phrase "Love thy neighbor" seriously, and have promoted those values. However, you also have the people who have twisted these words or ignored them altogether in order to further their own ideas about what is "good" and "right". These are people who have caused harm to others in the name of Jesus, despite them being against what his morals were shown to be.

We've seen this time and time again in many different places at many different points in history.

But this doesn't mean that Christianity is "evil". The truth is, there will always be people who go against the teachings of the spirituality they claim to follow in order to further their own agendas, whatever they may be. Likewise, there will also be people who use their spirituality for good. And unfortunately, many of us (myself included) have had to deal with those people who use Christianity as an excuse to be hateful, which has led to a lot of pain and suffering. Even more unfortunate, these hateful people tend to be who people focus on the most. But religion is not black or white, and it never will be.

So yeah, Christianity can be a force of good, but it's important to know that there are really awful people out there who can and will use it for awful reasons. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ace

posted

christians are inherently not what they show. what they preach is not as they practice. most christians only do good deeds to reap their benefits of salvation. if there was no heaven christians wouldn’t nearly care as much as doing good to the world as they seem to do. it’s not a bad thing good actions and bad intentions is better than vice versa but one should not praise these hypocrites either.

Report Reply

Reply by SwagOmni

posted

Personally, i believe christianity has caused more pain than good

but of course, im no expert lol

Report Reply

Reply by PlumpCracka1876

posted

the intent of framing Christendom as a "force" is already considerably something which strikes me as somewhat questionable. I very much am a Christian by all means, but to relegate Christianity to a word with such an oppressive connotation is very reductive by all means and really does indicate a solid summary of what religion's place is in our social dichotomy. When I look to the world I wish for nothing more than Christ's Gospel to be the one dominant philosophy by which we rule ourselves, but in the course of human history men who have held the same sentiments have saw to Christendom to be some sort of authority on conformity. As if concepts of the Masculine and the Feminine were not derived from desire and aren't nothing more than human hierarchy. To truly know this, you must resist the materialist part of yourself which wishes to heed to the "benefit" of desire and of the ambition to be a statue of man. Did the Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Pentecostals, or Presbyterians think this? No of course not! And that is precisely the problem. The bigger the lie, the easier to believe. Do you think our definitions of man and of woman were taken from Christ? They were taken from the mouths of the men who, hundreds of years later, spoke for him and to those who didn't or couldn't even read! This, of course, is NOT scripture's fault. Today we have the majority, and I mean the majority, of the southern United States worshipping in some mega-church, each of which insist on selling their own T-shirts. The better the consumer the better the Christian, right? And it's all retributive as well. The viewers of Fox News don't care for you, nor do those of CNN. It's about appealing to the man, not knowing him. But they do care to know God, and they do, they just don't know how well.

Report Reply

Reply by Worm!

posted

the teachings of christ are a good force, but the church ran by man is not and has rarely ever been in history

Report Reply

Reply by David V. Kimball

posted

Christianity is a force for good, since "good" literally comes from God.

Report Reply

Reply by sonozaki

posted

Better than atheists. Worse than everyone else (barring notable exceptions).

Report Reply

Reply by dreamspider

posted

No. The good "Christianity" has done is just good that exists within people with or without religion. People are naturally compassionate, not always, but largely. Christianity has been co-opted for thousands of years by oppressive and evil political powers. It has been used as a tool to kill, enslave, oppress, and steal. The beliefs of Christianity are ~largely~ neutral, but it has been wielded for both evil and goodness. Ultimately, what it's turned into today is more bad than good. I also have to disagree with ascetic religions. I think there's value and transcendence to be found in abstinence, but I think the same is true of indulgence. The key is moderation.

Unfortunately organized religion co-opted by government is a recipe for disaster 

Report Reply

Reply by Satan's Lavendar

posted

If Christians actually followed the word of Christ, the world would be better. 

The Prosperity Gospel has overridden the word of Christ, and put Money in his place. 

Jesus said rich men have to struggle to enter heaven, but according to the Prosperity Gospel, getting rich means God loves you. However, money is of man, and the only way to get a lot of money is to exploit others or to inherit it from someone who exploited others. That is explicitly against what Christ taught. 

In addition, the goal of Christianity is to end the world. That's why none of these Christians care about making the planet hospitable for future generations, because they think they'll get raptured while everyone else deals with the mess left behind. 

So, tl;dr - Christianity (and the other Abrahamic religions) are driving the planet to its death and will only benefit the rich, white, and male along the way. 

Report Reply

Reply by Satan's Lavendar

posted

If Christians actually followed the word of Christ, the world would be better. 

The Prosperity Gospel has overridden the word of Christ, and put Money in his place. 

Jesus said rich men have to struggle to enter heaven, but according to the Prosperity Gospel, getting rich means God loves you. However, money is of man, and the only way to get a lot of money is to exploit others or to inherit it from someone who exploited others. That is explicitly against what Christ taught. 

In addition, the goal of Christianity is to end the world. That's why none of these Christians care about making the planet hospitable for future generations, because they think they'll get raptured while everyone else deals with the mess left behind. 

So, tl;dr - Christianity (and the other Abrahamic religions) are driving the planet to its death and will only benefit the rich, white, and male along the way. 

Report Reply

Reply by Marshmallow_Fluff

posted
updated

I find the Bible an interesting piece, recording the raw emotions of an imperfect humanity.

As for the falsehood of the prosperity gospel and the Organized Church in general.

1Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
2“Son
of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and tell
them that this is what the Lord GOD says: ‘Woe to the shepherds of
Israel, who only feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed their
flock?
3You eat the fat, wear the wool, and butcher the fattened sheep, but you do not feed the flock.

4You
have not strengthened the weak, healed the sick, bound up the injured,
brought back the strays, or searched for the lost. Instead, you have
ruled them with violence and cruelty.
5They were scattered for lack of a shepherd, and when they were scattered they became food for all the wild beasts.
6My
flock went astray on all the mountains and every high hill. They were
scattered over the face of all the earth, with no one to search for them
or seek them out.’

7Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD:
8‘As
surely as I live, declares the Lord GOD, because My flock lacks a
shepherd and has become prey and food for every wild beast, and because
My shepherds did not search for My flock but fed themselves instead,
9therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD!’

10This
is what the Lord GOD says: ‘Behold, I am against the shepherds, and I
will demand from them My flock and remove them from tending the flock,
so that they can no longer feed themselves. For I will deliver My flock
from their mouths, and it will no longer be food for them.’ - Ezekiel 34:1-10

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard.
2 He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing.
4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’
5 So they went. “He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing.
6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’
7 “ ‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered. “He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’
8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’
9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius.
10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius.
11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner.
12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’
13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius?
14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you.
15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”-Matthew 20:1

Report Reply

posted
updated

Romans 8:26-7

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to
pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with
groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is
the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints
according to the will of God."

Matthew 11:29-30 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Testimony of an Ex-Satanist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQzAYWNbpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I11L71PD3Lw

Report Reply

posted
updated

Don't shoot the wounded, they need us more than ever. They need our love no matter what it is they've done. Sometimes we just condemn them, and don't take time to hear their story. Don't shoot the wounded, someday you might be one. It's easy to love the people who are standing hard and fast. Pressing on to meet that higher calling. But the ones who might be struggling, we tend to judge too harshly, and refuse to try and catch them when they're falling. We put people into boxes and we draw our hard conclusions, and when they do the things we know they should not do, we sometimes write them off as hopeless, and we throw them to the dogs. Our compassion and forgiveness sometimes seem in short supply, so I say...Don't shoot the wounded! We can love them and forgive them when their sin does not exceed our own. For we too have been down bumpy roads before but when they commit offenses outside the boundaries we have set,we judge them in a word and we turn them out, and we close the door.  Myself  I've been forgiven for so many awful things. I've been cleansed and washed and bathed so many times that when I see a brother who has fallen from the way I just can't find the license to convict him of his crimes. So I say... Don't shoot the wounded! That doesn't mean we turn our heads when we see a brother sin and pretend that what he's doing is all right. But we must help him see his error, we must lead him to repent. Cry with those who cry, but bring their deeds into the light. For it's the sick that need the doctor, and it's the lame that need the crutch.  It's the prodigal who needs the loving hand. For a man who's in despair, there should be kindness from his friends. 'Lest he should forsake the fear of Almighty God and turn away from God and man, So I say...Don't shoot the wounded! 

~Lyrics:Chuck Girard~

Report Reply

Reply by purplecartn

posted

Despite there being christians who are not good people some might say evil, yes it is

Report Reply

Reply by Tyler i guess

posted
updated

Nietzsche was rite about us christians being cryptocommies but he was wrong about that being bad its actually freakin based

Report Reply