« Jobs, Work, Careers Forum

anxiety is holding me back

I really want to work, I do, but I am terrified... of everything. Messing up, forgetting, overstimulation, anxiety attacks, shootings/robberies. Literally anything you can think of that is or is not in my control. I cannot see myself working any job, which breaks my heart. I have dream jobs, I have the desire to work, I even got a job a few weeks ago... but I never showed up. Couldn`t pick up the phone, couldn`t move my feet. I suppose an online job will do but if I don`t leave my house I get so depressed and anxious it`s practically unbearable. What do I even do about this? Everyone says I am making excuses and it makes me feel like shit. Thanks xx

Report Topic

9 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Kade

posted

Honestly the best thing about jobs is it’s JUST a job. You can go in and pretend to be someone else entirely. It’s not your real life, your home life. 

Worst thing about a job is if you’re having me to health struggles or are on the spectrum, it will probably make coping worse. 

I got so overstimulated at my retail jobs that I’d essentially put myself into stimulus deprivation, after work. I couldn’t have my any more movie or conversation. Shit literally hurt and made me physically ill. 

I think finding a place where you have good coworkers is the most important thing. The job itself can be boring or it can suck. The people you work with make or break the environment. 

Idk I’m not giving advice or anything. But I understand. Also as someone with agoraphobia, it’s real man. Idk what is yo with you but if it’s “in your head” then that doesn’t mean it’s not real. Brain matter is 100 percent real and it affects every aspect of our existence. That’s not a bs excuse. That’s an immutable fact. 

Report Reply

Reply by Vicky

posted

I'm like that. I have no problem working but I've become so socially anxious that even the idea of talking on the phone is overwhelming and it's really hard to earn anything online.

Report Reply

Reply by CupidRuben

posted

The best option is to just do it and avoid jobs that cause stress like u could work in a library, book store, or at home jobs. I have social anxiety and I’m going to college so I know my anxiety levels will skyrocket so I’ve been looking for jobs that I can work from home :)

Report Reply

Reply by PercivalLee

posted

You have shared your story, which is great. Thank you, this is really useful information.

Report Reply

Reply by Nat Nat

posted

I don't know. I think we all have those worries, but most of us power through them and those thoughts don't control us. 

I used to feel this way about going to the gym - that I had to eat right at a certain time, that I had to do everything a certain way, or else it was worthless, when, really, I just needed to show up, do what I can, go home, but do it consistently. 

Everything in life is about putting one foot ahead of the other one step at a time. Sucking at something is the very first step at getting pretty good at something down the line. 

Report Reply

Reply by Thunder Dragon DJ Kaos

posted

why dont you apply for at home job where you can work from home

Report Reply

Reply by Nostalgia Goddess

posted

I've been in that position as well. It's hard getting a job when you need references, but don't know anyone other than family. Thank goodness for Temp Agencies

Report Reply

Reply by Kylie

posted

That was happening to me a lot to not to long ago, I ended up with a job at McDonalds but the anxiety was way to much and I ended up quitting after 3 days. I ended up having to take anti anxiety medication and that's been helping a lot, I'm about to be hired on as a medical scribe now.

Honestly if anything, I recommend finding a job with a part time schedule that you're not expected to show up to as much or for as long. That's what also sold me on being a medical scribe.

Report Reply

Reply by seraphxo

posted

me too....i've mostly been putting it off LOL.

i learned how to be self sufficient as much as possible just so i don't have to get a job.... i just feel like you're selling your whole life away for the bare minimum.
i feel like i'd mess up and i don't want my entire life on the line relying on someone else who can destroy it just because they don't like me, or if i mess up one time. and none of it seems worth it...even when working it doesn't cover healthcare or dentist visits. it's not enough to buy things you enjoy. like...why should I

Report Reply